www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Archives on TDI Power Enhancement related items.

Old March 2nd, 2008, 13:23   #16
dvst8r
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '03 Wagon

Ed way to SH!T on this thread... The point of this was just for dyno numbers, that is all, this is exactly why the last one got locked down.

I really hope we can get a mod to delete all of the comments and just have dyno numbers. Including this post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmark
again, not a topic for this forum...take it to "people who give a ****" forum.....the only numbers hear we care about are hp/ftlbs...

Last edited by dvst8r; March 2nd, 2008 at 13:26.
dvst8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 13:52   #17
KERMA

Nice peak hp numbers, but 50 hp at 2500 rpm, 80 hp at 3000 rpm, 125 hp at 3500 is not very street driveable, IMHO.

From the videos, Oliver's boost looks like ~10 psi at 3000-3500 rpm, ~20 psi at 4000 rpm, pegged high at 30+ psi at between 4000-4500 rpm, with the turbo sounding unhappy (compressor surge-like noise, cha cha cha cha). I'll bet he doesn't drive that particular file on the street. I wouldn't think that arrangement would drive all that well, unless he was holding back WOT until about 4000 rpm. Methanol injection helps a lot, but watch the peak cylinder pressures, you are in rod bending territory.
No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. - Neils Bohr

Last edited by KERMA; March 3rd, 2008 at 16:00.
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 14:05   #18
sdk131
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: lifetime ~42mpg, 50% stop and go, 50% highway at 75-80mph

2004 Jetta PD w/ RC1+ before and after runs, same day, same dyno.
sdk131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 14:34   #19
TdiRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk131
2004 Jetta PD w/ RC1+ before and after runs, same day, same dyno.
Nice, I remember that day was really fun.
I pop test and install Injectors, Clutches, Timing belts, Brakes, LSD Installs, Do all maintainance and repairs for all TDI models. Email: ohwegener@hotmail.com for info. For all your TDI parts and service.

TdiRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 14:57   #20
TdiRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERMA
Nice peak hp numbers, but 50 hp at 2500 rpm, 80 hp at 3000 rpm, 125 hp at 3500 is not very street driveable, IMHO.

From the videos, Oliver's boost looks like ~10 psi at 3000-3500 rpm, ~20 psi at 4000 rpm, pegged high at 30+ psi at between 4000-4500 rpm, with the turbo sounding unhappy (compressor surge-like noise, cha cha cha cha). I'll bet he doesn't drive that particular file on the street. I wouldn't think that arrangement would drive all that well, unless he was holding back WOT until about 4000 rpm.
Dont be an a$$ Charlie. You should know what that sound is. But in case others are wondering and you don't know, it is called an EXTERNAL WASTEGATE, with a dump tube to atmosphere.

Like my post above said, this is designed for one purpose and not for the street. But I have driven it for 5 weeks this way without any issues. Smokes a lot down low. Still gets 48mpg. That was with the PP502 injectors installed. Put 1500 miles and three tanks of fuel in so far.

You also forget that BOOST is not the only element. Focusing on the boost is silly, because a larger turbo can FLOW more air. Flow is what is important given the boost level requested. A tiny turbo can make 30PSI boost, but can't sustain the flow needed at high rpms.

You should know all this.??? Makes me wonder

I do not want to cloud this thread with crap, so if someone has questions about my dyno, IM me.

Moderators will hopefully edit all the junk out and just keep the dynos.
I pop test and install Injectors, Clutches, Timing belts, Brakes, LSD Installs, Do all maintainance and repairs for all TDI models. Email: ohwegener@hotmail.com for info. For all your TDI parts and service.

Old March 2nd, 2008, 15:07   #21
bencarr23
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35/42/51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdiRacing
Compare to what ben?

I have nothing to prove. I got it all on video with losts of people watching. Further, I could care less what I put down on another dyno. This is the same dyno, same location that I have done all my other dynos. My gains are very well documented and have yet to see anyone else get close to these numbers. This was a test for a very specific purpose in racing. This is not to be compared to a street turbo.

My offer to you Ben is you drive here and use the dyno i used. I will pay for it as well. What do you say?

Man whats up with that ??? did you take that the wrong way or what....
All i meant was that if your driving it down here then what is the harm and we can see if the #'s im getting are to high or low thats all man what crawled up your butt? And hell yea if you pay for the gas to ill be on my way one weekend after the dyno day.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 15:07   #22
cheeba
Veteran Member

Jeff, I've wanted to see a thread like this since I came to TDiClub, and would love to see it work out for everyone's benefit. I have a few suggestions for rules, do what you will with them:

- No comments on other people's numbers by anyone.
- Everyone posting numbers should list all their (power-related) mod's. I don't want to hear look at their profile, or signature - they change with time.

It also seemed pretty obvious to me that Oliver's setup was meant for racing, so maybe people could also post a quick description in instances that may elicit negative responses.

All this negative crap is like the kiddie sites: inflammatory remarks begets needless defensiveness begets inflammatory remarks. . .

Last edited by cheeba; March 2nd, 2008 at 15:10.
cheeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 15:55   #23
TdiRacing

Here is comparison of my previous dynos with the VNT17/20 hybrid. Compare this to the new dyno in links above. My larger turbo yielded a much higher HP number, but moved the power band way over. This is a clear example of what happens when you run a larger turbo(much larger in my case).

This is why you always have to ask what your purpose is. Just adding a larger turbo can have drastic effects on the power band. Usable power is the key to having a FAST car. Making big numbers doen't mean a lower powered car will not beat you at the drag strip or road course.

We regularly beat cars with a lot more power in The Pro Rally races because we have such a large usable power band. Low end TQ is very key in rally given its nature. For road racing it is not so important and the focus moves to more HP to get the top end we need, sacrificing the low end TQ to get more HP.

Old March 2nd, 2008, 16:13   #24
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I see the point of a thread like this is to see cause and effect. People are going to have comments and questions. Let's just hope people can be civil--so far we're not doing very well on that score.

BTW, my sig is current, except, as noted, I didn't have the PP502s in my car for that dyno--they were PP520s.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 16:36   #25
Sootman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30 +/- MPG

Thanks for posting the graphs and video links. Nice to see what can be done. Man sign me up! I hope to have a graph to post within the month.
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/index.php
Dyno: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=352348
Sootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 16:42   #26
cheeba
Veteran Member

My point about the sig's and profiles is that 1 year after you post the dyno, your profile may be completely different; I'm unsure if the sig in your past posts changes if you alter it at any given point in time.

I agree that comments/questions should be included, but at the rate TDiClub is going, it seems somewhat utopian to think this will occur without the ubiquitous BS. I think what we really need is a thread that contains only dynos, and then a separate one that contains dynos and comments. can see this thread becoming 20 pages long with a dyno on every second page (with help from my dyno-less posts) - this hardly seems like the best way to form a reference thread.
cheeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 17:15   #27
Spdmini
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 JSW
Fuel Economy: 38 and climbing.

Bone Stock MKV Jetta

Last edited by Spdmini; March 2nd, 2008 at 17:19.
Spdmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 17:17   #28
tdipower4me
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 03 jetta
Fuel Economy: highest was 65

externally gated huh? i'd LOVE to see some pics of this. deffinatly sounds sweet!
Old March 2nd, 2008, 21:55   #29
hatemi
Veteran Member

Nice numbers on Olivers car. Very nice actually

Heres mine.
R520+ pump with 12mm head and other mods done to it
Lift pump
3" exhaust and SDI intake
Cam+ ported head
GT2256V hybrid with 45.6mm turbine and custom 56mm compressor.
Other crap like fuel cooler etc. Cant remember all

And heres a video of the run:
Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:11   #30
Grede
Veteran Member

there is mine.
Golf Mk4 PD100 from 2002.
Stock motor, but upgraded clucth/flywheel
no mods done to airbox ect.
only remap.
pic: http://grede.pictureshow.dk/showPict...ictureId=28341
Boost set to 18-19psi
pump fuel from shell (Cetane 51 here in small denmark)
Grede is offline   Reply With Quote