www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old July 13th, 2019, 16:42   #9241
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post
Never had a bad fill of electricity yet.

But EVERYONE knows a SPARK will ALWAYS ignite gasoline vapor!

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2019, 04:33   #9242
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Hey, EV does it!
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2019, 17:34   #9243
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post
Never had a bad fill of electricity yet.
That's a good thing for sure, since you have to stop so much more often than a TDI, giving far greater chance for error!
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2019, 12:28   #9244
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
I think NJ attendants are OK with that because it frees them up to help waiting gasser customers. Some attendants may have had a few "random diesel bonding" moments with diesel owners too.

I hope I never have to fuel up in NJ or Oregon. I've managed to avoid it for 17 years and more than 900k miles of diesel ownership experience.
Yeah, that's been my take on it, given that in nearly all the stations I go to, they likely do that all the time because of they do it with heavy trucks too so it seems "standard procedure" for diesel.

The only time I had an issue was just about a year ago - at a new station I'd tried once or twice (freshly rebuilt, brand-new storage tanks, so figured it hadn't been in operation long enough for stale fuel) previously, I had an attendant push past me and turn of the pump while I was topping off, even though I asked him twice not to do that. I just haven't gone back to that station since, there's plenty of others.
Old July 16th, 2019, 14:44   #9245
woofie2
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48/39/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
My wife was amazed some tech was smoking while changing the oil in my truck.
Come to find out it was a vape pen.
Old July 16th, 2019, 22:03   #9246
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofie2 View Post
My wife was amazed some tech was smoking while changing the oil in my truck.
Come to find out it was a vape pen.

Even more dangerous with all the vape pens exploding in people's pockets, hands, etc.

The fleet:
Old July 18th, 2019, 07:18   #9247
vwestlife
Veteran Member

Over the years there have been numerous attempts to legalize self-service gasoline here in NJ and all have failed. Regardless if out-of-staters like or understand it or not, the public here in NJ prefers full-service gasoline because we are used to it and due to our gas tax being lower, we usually pay less for it than surrounding states which are self-serve.

In fact, this may have contributed to former NJ Gov. Jon Corzine losing his reelection because he wanted to legalize self-serve during his tenure as governor and the public was strongly against it. Common reasons are not wanting to get smelly gasoline on your hands or clothing, being able to stay in your car during the cold winter months, not even knowing how to pump gas because you've never had to do it before, and fear of starting a fire.

Diesel is not covered by the self-serve ban in NJ, and most stations will let truckers pump in themselves, but all of the stations I've ever been to will offer full-serve diesel just like gasoline, and attendants may or may not be aware that you are allowed to pump it yourself.

And no, you are not expected to tip the attendant. Maybe back in the time when they would wash your windows and ask to check your oil, but that is a thing of the past.
Old July 18th, 2019, 07:55   #9248
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
Over the years there have been numerous attempts to legalize self-service gasoline here in NJ and all have failed. Regardless if out-of-staters like or understand it or not, the public here in NJ prefers full-service gasoline because we are used to it and due to our gas tax being lower, we usually pay less for it than surrounding states which are self-serve.

In fact, this may have contributed to former NJ Gov. Jon Corzine losing his reelection because he wanted to legalize self-serve during his tenure as governor and the public was strongly against it. Common reasons are not wanting to get smelly gasoline on your hands or clothing, being able to stay in your car during the cold winter months, not even knowing how to pump gas because you've never had to do it before, and fear of starting a fire.

Diesel is not covered by the self-serve ban in NJ, and most stations will let truckers pump in themselves, but all of the stations I've ever been to will offer full-serve diesel just like gasoline, and attendants may or may not be aware that you are allowed to pump it yourself.

And no, you are not expected to tip the attendant. Maybe back in the time when they would wash your windows and ask to check your oil, but that is a thing of the past.

Unfortunately it shows that like the rest of these United States, NJ does NOT understand the meaning of "full-service". "Full-service means that not only do they pump the gasoline, but they also wash the windshield and ask if you want the engine oil and tire pressure checked. The terms full and self service should be retired with the correct "Attendant Pumped" and "Self Pump" replacing them. Oh, for those in NJ & OR who say the elderly and disabled are helped by those states laws, California and the other states have laws mandating that attendants at Self-Pump stations assist them.

BTW, my 2004 Prius doesn't have a normal fuel tank but uses a fuel bladder inside a metal enclosure. Filling it requires a different technique than a normal fuel tank. So in OR, I ask if they have been certified to fill this type of fuel tank.

The fleet:
Old July 18th, 2019, 09:46   #9249
jason_
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'lectricjeff View Post
The attendant is different than you filling the tank and here is why. Most, if not all, fires while fueling are due to static discharge. The most common reason for this charge being present, getting back in your vehicle while it fills! Women are more prone to doing this, especially when it is cold.

Fuel island fires are more common than most people would think just because we don't see it happening every day, but think about how many fuel stations there are and the amount of people filling up in any given day...

I do find funny the signs that say that it is illegal to walk away while fueling unless you are an attendant, you know, cuz the pumps know whether you are an attendant or not so it'll make sure it does not fail and overfill the tank...
I see a sexist flame battle coming... Hahaha

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 16:47   #9250
pbkid6974

TDI(s): none yet

So I finally picked up a 2015 jetta yesterday. I'm from NJ and had to go a few hours upstate NY to get it. The dealer didn't fill the tank so when I got close to home with only half a tank I figured I'd just fill it. My first fill up and theres 2 gassers blocking 2 diesel pumps on one end of the quick check so I drive around to the other side to use one of the other 2 pumps. Big ol box truck cuts me off so I drive around to the last pump available, hop out, and start fueling. Truck driver give me a funny look so I brace myself for the, "you know your putting diesel in your car" comment, but instead get "that one of them recall cars?" I told him it was and I just picked it up. We talked a few min while I fueled up about availability, price, fuel mileage, etc.

Can't believe I got a story on my first fuel up. Might not be the best one but more than some on here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
pbkid6974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2019, 13:53   #9251
DivineChaos

had a guy run out of his station yelling that i was putting diesel in. (was a small station in a small town) I nodded, said i know and waved him over and pointed at the diesel only on the filler. Had a moment of confusion till i said TDI.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2019, 08:30   #9252
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkid6974 View Post
So I finally picked up a 2015 jetta yesterday. I'm from NJ and had to go a few hours upstate NY to get it. The dealer didn't fill the tank so when I got close to home with only half a tank I figured I'd just fill it. My first fill up and theres 2 gassers blocking 2 diesel pumps on one end of the quick check so I drive around to the other side to use one of the other 2 pumps. Big ol box truck cuts me off so I drive around to the last pump available, hop out, and start fueling. Truck driver give me a funny look so I brace myself for the, "you know your putting diesel in your car" comment, but instead get "that one of them recall cars?" I told him it was and I just picked it up. We talked a few min while I fueled up about availability, price, fuel mileage, etc.
Can't believe I got a story on my first fuel up. Might not be the best one but more than some on here.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I much preferred when the questions were just about fuel mileage etc., rather than "hey, is that one of those ignominious, cheating diesels?". Oh well, maybe it's good for street cred in the outlaw circles.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2019, 08:43   #9253
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
rather than "hey, is that one of those ignominious, cheating diesels?". Oh well, maybe it's good for street cred in the outlaw circles.
"Nah, mine's just about a hundred million times worse than those were before the fix. Think about how overblown that whole thing was for a moment."
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2019, 16:30   #9254
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkid6974 View Post
...Can't believe I got a story on my first fuel up. Might not be the best one but more than some on here...
I'll say. It'll be 20 years in October for me, and I've only had 2 stories: the first was a lame getting asked twice if it was a diesel at a fuel stop in Nogales, Sonora, Mexico way back in 2001, and the other a few months ago that I already reported above.

Some people have all the fun...

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 06:56   #9255
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Mine didn't happen at the gas station or with my TDI. I took an old couch to the dump and the attendant noticed my Ecodiesel badge on the Ram. said he didn't realize that you could get a diesel in the half ton. I'm sure there were some people that got unhappy about our five minute conversation because he wasn't helping them, but that's not my problem.