www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old August 16th, 2019, 00:22   #91
Candellara

TDI(s): 2013 Golf GT

As an append to this, the reason i'm unconvinced the matrix is blocked is that after a simple flush - the heating system works exactly as VW intended. If the matrix was blocked - this wouldn't be the case.

My latest thoughts are that some component is causing air to be ingested into the cooling system - thus causing the heater matrix to airlock (no heat from vents) and the pressurising of the system (water being expunged from coolant bottle after long runs). This seems to only happen after long runs or after a hundred or so miles. When i "flush" the matrix - it expels all of the air, causing the system to work correctly until the next "cycle" when air is ingested into the cooling system

After some reading - EGR cooler? or EGR valve must be suspect. Is this possible?
Candellara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2019, 03:06   #92
GreenLantern_TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Mid 40s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candellara View Post
As an append to this, the reason i'm unconvinced the matrix is blocked is that after a simple flush - the heating system works exactly as VW intended. If the matrix was blocked - this wouldn't be the case.
My latest thoughts are that some component is causing air to be ingested into the cooling system - thus causing the heater matrix to airlock (no heat from vents) and the pressurising of the system (water being expunged from coolant bottle after long runs). This seems to only happen after long runs or after a hundred or so miles. When i "flush" the matrix - it expels all of the air, causing the system to work correctly until the next "cycle" when air is ingested into the cooling system
After some reading - EGR cooler? or EGR valve must be suspect. Is this possible?
If air is in the system VCDS has a procedure to purge the air from the system.
Old August 17th, 2019, 01:10   #93
mm-rocco

TDI(s): MK7 GTD 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candellara View Post
Good post, good thinking. In the beginning i could only think of the heater matrix. yesterday i had a long drive and used torque pro to monitor the coolant temp during and just after the dpf proces....the coolant stayed between 90 and 92 celcius. So the coolant is not really being boiled during and after the dpf proces and the blow-out can not happen because of the heat. So it looks something else is pushing out the coolant, i would think of hot air from a egr cooler. the egr cooler part cost about 350 euro and about 6 hours work, a bill in total of 800 - 900 euro.

Maybe a little crack in the egr cooler ???

Last edited by mm-rocco; August 17th, 2019 at 04:09.
mm-rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2019, 12:38   #94
DrSchultze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm-rocco View Post
@DrSchultze We are very interested in hearing your findings, no more blow out's ??? Do you notice in difference in oiltemp and coolant temp ?? We all look forward to hear form you
I have just returned from a week of hiking in the Norwegian mountains without my computer, but I used my car to get there.

I haven't lost any coolant on the trip, so I consider the problem solved by replacing the heater core.
The trip is ~1700km in total, of which ~500km is highway.
I didn't do any detailed logging, but kept an eye on the oil temp from time to time, and it never went above 115 degree C, and seemed to hover around 110 degree C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spipa View Post
Just went for a drive and paid attention to the heating.. the vent all the way to the left produced so much heat that it hurted when I put my hand for a long time against it.. the vent all the way to the right produced no heat at all eventhough I put the temp on maximum for both driver and passenger side.. the more I went to right, the less heat came from the vent.. so it looks like my heating is also showing problems even without dpf regen..normal?
This was the exact symptoms I had, before heating just failed completely.

Quote:
Last weekend i did a test with the heating. Just after the DPF-proces i turned on the heating to max and drove for about 10 minutes then i stopped and checked the engine bay, coolant reservoir. The coolant in the reservoir raise almost near the top far above mex but did not blow out. Hopefully this information helps with solving the puzzle..
Turning the heat to max, would probably compensate for a heater core with a reduced flow, by removing extra heat from the system, so this makes perfect sense to me.

I'm confident that the problem in my case was that the partially blocked heater core, caused a reduced flow through the EGR cooler. Because of the reduced flow, water would boil in the EGR cooler during DPF regen, and push water out of the heater core (and the expansion tank). It would not push the water out of the cylinder head, because of the check valve in series with the EGR cooler.

Before my vacation I did see a tiny bit of coolant disappear, but I'll have to monitor it over a longer time frame, to make sure that I actually have a problem.
DrSchultze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2019, 02:11   #95
mm-rocco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSchultze View Post
I have just returned from a week of hiking in the Norwegian mountains without my computer, but I used my car to get there.

I haven't lost any coolant on the trip, so I consider the problem solved by replacing the heater core.
The trip is ~1700km in total, of which ~500km is highway.
I didn't do any detailed logging, but kept an eye on the oil temp from time to time, and it never went above 115 degree C, and seemed to hover around 110 degree C.

This was the exact symptoms I had, before heating just failed completely.

Turning the heat to max, would probably compensate for a heater core with a reduced flow, by removing extra heat from the system, so this makes perfect sense to me.

I'm confident that the problem in my case was that the partially blocked heater core, caused a reduced flow through the EGR cooler. Because of the reduced flow, water would boil in the EGR cooler during DPF regen, and push water out of the heater core (and the expansion tank). It would not push the water out of the cylinder head, because of the check valve in series with the EGR cooler.

Before my vacation I did see a tiny bit of coolant disappear, but I'll have to monitor it over a longer time frame, to make sure that I actually have a problem.

@DrSchultze Thanks for letting us know the results. 1700km without this problem sounds very good to me !

Is your engine the 184HP (135KW) type CUNA ??? How often, after how many kilometers do you have a DPF-regen ???

Thanks again !
Old August 19th, 2019, 05:31   #96
DrSchultze

Quote:
Is your engine the 184HP (135KW) type CUNA ??? How often, after how many kilometers do you have a DPF-regen ???

Thanks again !
I haven't been monitoring DPF regen systematically, but it seems to be around 400km between.

It's the 150HP engine, but the heater core seem to be the same for most VAG cars from 2013 to 2017.
DrSchultze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2019, 09:28   #97
mm-rocco

@DrSchultze Thanks !
Old August 19th, 2019, 09:33   #98
mm-rocco

Hopefully my problem will be resolved soon as well. My local VW dealer will execute Tpi 2040004/9 "Prüfplan zum Kühlmittelverlust beim EA288 Dieselmotor". I hope they can find the part which is causing the blowing out of coolant. The investigation only cost about 200 Euro.
Old August 19th, 2019, 10:27   #99
Spipa

TDI(s): Mk 7 GTD

Quote:
Hopefully my problem will be resolved soon as well. My local VW dealer will execute Tpi 2040004/9 "Prüfplan zum Kühlmittelverlust beim EA288 Dieselmotor". I hope they can find the part which is causing the blowing out of coolant. The investigation only cost about 200 Euro.
Can you explain what ‘Tpi 2040004/9‘ means? Some kind of recall?
Spipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2019, 11:15   #100
mm-rocco

Quote:
Can you explain what ‘Tpi 2040004/9‘ means? Some kind of recall?

No Recall It is an instruction from VW to troubleshoot coolingleaks for the EA288 Engine (including "our" CUNA Engine). It should include the EGR Cooler and the cylinderhead. I specially asked them to also check the heatermatrix.
Old August 19th, 2019, 11:35   #101
Spipa

Quote:
No Recall It is an instruction from VW to troubleshoot coolingleaks for the EA288 Engine (including "our" CUNA Engine). It should include the EGR Cooler and the cylinderhead. I specially asked them to also check the heatermatrix.
Oh alright! So when will they check your car? And isn’t your car still under warranty? You still have to pay?
Old August 19th, 2019, 11:43   #102
mm-rocco

Quote:
Oh alright! So when will they check your car? And isn’t your car still under warranty? You still have to pay?

Well, Yes ! I have. If i did not have warranty i would probably still follow this route. Otherwise you could still end up with replacing good parts. I you can replace the heater matrix yourself i would do that first. I will not because i am not a mechanic. I will book a date tomorrow, hopefully for next week.
Old August 19th, 2019, 11:45   #103
mm-rocco

@Spipa Did you receive a quotation for replacing the heater matrix ??? How much will it cost to replace ??
Old August 20th, 2019, 06:13   #104
Spipa

Quote:
@Spipa Did you receive a quotation for replacing the heater matrix ??? How much will it cost to replace ??
Just went to my mechanic, he told me that he had two other GTD’s visit him this year for the exact same problem, he has replaced the heater core on them both (after some other work has been done by the VW dealer) but they still have the coolant overflow problem. He advised me to not put any more money in it and just sell the car lol

Last edited by Spipa; August 20th, 2019 at 06:18.
Old August 20th, 2019, 07:34   #105
mm-rocco

Quote:
Just went to my mechanic, he told me that he had two other GTD’s visit him this year for the exact same problem, he has replaced the heater core on them both (after some other work has been done by the VW dealer) but they still have the coolant overflow problem. He advised me to not put any more money in it and just sell the car lol

That does not sound very promising. I would say bad advise Next week they will troubleshoot my car, hopefully they will find it. I am suprised your mechanic does not know about the TPI which is an instruction from VW to resolve the problem. Are you sure this is a real VW Dealer ??

Last edited by mm-rocco; August 20th, 2019 at 08:23.