TDI
MK6 2013 Jetta Highline
2013 Jetta 6 2L tdi
Mods:
FMIC
Downpipe
Full exhaust without any back boxes
Software - local
im currently on 145kw (195HP) and 440nM (324ft-lb)
Im on the lookout to go bigger and make some good power (good power is 240hp)
Now the next item is to get an intake fabricated and installed, hit the dyno and see what power im pushing with it on.
What is the next steps?
I need a few forums/posts showcasing which injectors to use, what cams work well, turbo upgrades, clutch and gearbox upgrades...
pics:

Jetta 6 R front bumper mod
Coilovers
18inch scirocco wheels
Rear boot spoiler

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Oh boy! Seems to me that the mods are in the wrong order here.
What psi are you pushing and what kind of tune are you running locally ?

YakuzaRacer

TDI
MK6 2013 Jetta Highline
Oh boy! Seems to me that the mods are in the wrong order here.
What psi are you pushing and what kind of tune are you running locally ?
Not sure on the first query regarding mods.... wrong order how?

JVS tuning loaded the software and does baselines and changes on the dyno
23psi

Im at the coast if that helps.

Cheers

As for more turbo more this and that, im looking more directly at specifics, what degree cam works best? Which turbo is best bang for buck? which injectors are the ones to look out for? you know details...

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
JVS tuning loaded the software and does baselines and changes on the dyno
23psi
Im at the coast if that helps.
Cheers
As for more turbo more this and that, im looking more directly at specifics, what degree cam works best? Which turbo is best bang for buck? which injectors are the ones to look out for? you know details...
Have a look at the technical turbo database sticky. There's probably a turbo listed there that's larger than yours so you'll at least have an idea of where to aim.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
exhaust, FMIC, are like the last things you do, most expense for the least payoff. Only reason for larger FMIC (more efficient) is to help control EGT's, power is a bonus if any. Same goes for exhaust, seeing as you didnt touch the turbo other than more boost and are hardly pushing injection limits, the first 2 mods here are basically pointless.
Granted, you need to do them when you do other mods and i get that, but there is no point in spending $$$ on parts that dont really do much.
Who is the tuner you are using?
#1 is always more fuel followed by more air, seems like you did that with the tune, the next step is to physically make the injection more, AKA nozzles and more tune. Turbo is probably the next step i would guess. Whats the power curve look like? might be better to up the mods to make a higher curve down low vs spending and chasing power mods up high.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The intercooler upgrade makes sense because at high boost pressures the plastic end tanks/connections on the factory intercooler tend to bleed boost. They get replaced with all aluminum intercoolers. For 240 hp I'd say throw a gtb2260 and a tune on there.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
GTD1752VRK if you want to retain excellent response, 2056 if you care a little less about the low-end and want more up top. Leave the cams alone.

YakuzaRacer

TDI
MK6 2013 Jetta Highline
Highly appreciate the feedback from all.

Will look into the turbo and the nozzles.
The FMIC is needed in my region as temps on a regular exceed 34 degrees (93 F) .. so heat soak is a real problem. It was a preventative mod for me. Exhaust and DP was to stop the Cat from being blocked as this adds back pressure to the turbo (my first mod on any car) and the exhaust because it sounds nice :D

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If your battling with high ambient temps, start injecting water methanol. Its added fuel with the water will help add more power while some what cooling down your intake temps.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Nice looking curve. Do you happen to know what your engine code is?

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
GTD1752VRK if you want to retain excellent response, 2056 if you care a little less about the low-end and want more up top. Leave the cams alone.
Disclaimer: I am not the up and up on this topic....and maybe apples to oranges here but...

I had questioned my 2015 Passat TDI/DSG plan of upgrades for a 225-250hp target and was told by two other reputable people on here that either could work.....but a 2260 was favored as a 2056 would be running maxed out.

Whats the real deal here? I want a responsive daily driver, not a turbo lagged demon but also want some upper end playfulness and was considering the smaller turbo in light of the 2056/2260 option.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
2056 for up to ~240 HP, like in their native applications. 2260 for 265+ HP, like in their native applications. So simple. :rolleyes:

Is your advice coming from an engine engineer?

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
2056 for up to ~240 HP:rolleyes:

Is your advice coming from an engine engineer?
I was torn between the 1752 and the 2056.....the advice came from both north of the border and across the pond.

I was kind of wanting to have my cake and eat it too.....OEM like response (only quicker ;) ) and more top end too. :D

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
pick the larger turbo, and supplement lower rpm curve with water/methanol injection? you can DIY one for about $150 and man do they deliver good power

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I was torn between the 1752 and the 2056.....the advice came from both north of the border and across the pond.

I was kind of wanting to have my cake and eat it too.....OEM like response (only quicker ;) ) and more top end too. :D
Having used all three, (2260,2056,17520) I prefer the 1752 and the 2056. I have also used various hybrids of the three...but still my favorites are the same basic turbos. (like 1756 and 2060 hybrids). I think you will love the smaller one...but the 20 series is so good...I dont think you will be unhappy.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The gtd1752vrk in stock form, on a CR at least, is very boost happy and not best controlled with vacuum actuator. If I could go back, I would have done the gtd1756vrk from xman as it doesn't have the same boost spike and creep issues as the OE version. The turbo is very capable of 2.1bar boost by ~1800rpm and your DMF will not be happy ;)
Go a little bigger with the turbo (torque comes on a little later) and likely to not worry about DMF longevity which is the route I'm taking next along with some other goodies.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Water/methanol injection is just a bandaid to hide a poor matched turbo to the engine with high EGT. As pointed by mr chill above, a larger turbo with a more efficient turbine will move the torque plot a bit to the right of the power plot but will be a lot kinder to your driveline ! I did not use the 1756Vrk but if its anything like the gtb1756vk then it will cause clutch slip with a used clutch and probably be a bit spike happy ! I have used the 2060vklr on a few builds and that was surging a bit compared with the same spec gtb2260vk or gtb2260vklr... Egt were a lot lower with the larger turbos too as a bonus !

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In my case, yes, totally a bandaid. But it turned into a way to push past the limits of what I have.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
2056 is far from maxed out at 250hp.
We have seen some 315 320hp bmw with those on accurate dyno.
It would be my choice for anything under 280hp.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
There are many versions of 2056. BMW's 190kW 3-liter engine has GTB2056VZK. However you can't really compare 3-liter and 2-liter engines' performance with same turbo.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
yes, the latest 2056vzk will work just find on 2.0 maxing out the cyl head and stock injectors which are not pretty big.
Im doing an A4 2011 with the 2056vzk. We'll see soon how it goes on stock head and injectors.