www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old April 8th, 2019, 20:15   #16
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
unless it is artificially limiting engine torque
this is a very common thing
all the pickups do it, it is why they have so much higher power ratings on the automatics.
With a manual you need to spec the clutch for peak torque, meaning you're going to end up with something less than friendly to today's pussified driver. Also, you can get the instantaneous torque rating of that clutch at any time in any gear by simply sidestepping the pedal. 800 ft/lbs may be the input rating of the trans, but after the reduction of 1st gear, and tcase low range, you're pretty quickly talking 25k ft/lbs at the output shaft and a hundred thousand ft/lbs at the axleshafts.

With an auto, it is easy to keep the driveline happy by only ever engaging clutch packs while engine power is cut, limiting engine torque in lower ratio gears, cutting throttle input when you're trying to stall the converter to warm up the fluid to get the ATF thermostat to open up,

Oh, and jamming it in park while you're rolling along and open a door to make sure you don't cut a stupid low-pro sidewall on a hoist arm. That's definitely nice to everything involved.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2019, 08:36   #17
Audibot

HPTuners is tuning the 8HP transmission. I've seen a few folks on Audizine (C7 forum) who have used them to increase solenoid pressures, get crisper shifts and launches, and improve shifting behavior. Haven't seen it for TDI yet, but it is part of my plans when I start modding my A6 TDI
Audibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2019, 16:38   #18
bahiaeternal
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audibot View Post
HPTuners is tuning the 8HP transmission. I've seen a few folks on Audizine (C7 forum) who have used them to increase solenoid pressures, get crisper shifts and launches, and improve shifting behavior. Haven't seen it for TDI yet, but it is part of my plans when I start modding my A6 TDI
Please keep us posted on the ZF tune, good luck.
bahiaeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 06:04   #19
named tintin
Veteran Member

TDI(s): golf tdi

I'm curretly offering ZF8 tune for Ecodiesel, night and day difference in driving, and soon I'll offer it for those VAG 3.0L TDI, but they are very hard to understand, there is like 99 shift pattern available for various situation and adaptive, so the way you drive it will dict how it will react and use different shift pattern, a nightmare to tune, and for unknown reason when I tried to read one in a Q5 the HPTuner did not work, it's not supported, so I'll have to write them to see what is the problem.
Old August 8th, 2019, 12:57   #20
Milpitas2.7T

Quote:
Originally Posted by named tintin View Post
I'm curretly offering ZF8 tune for Ecodiesel, night and day difference in driving, and soon I'll offer it for those VAG 3.0L TDI, but they are very hard to understand, there is like 99 shift pattern available for various situation and adaptive, so the way you drive it will dict how it will react and use different shift pattern, a nightmare to tune, and for unknown reason when I tried to read one in a Q5 the HPTuner did not work, it's not supported, so I'll have to write them to see what is the problem.

Let us know when you get something. Lots of us want pre EPA fix results. Right now the vehicle doesn't want to actually start going when you push the pedal, it's nuts how dangerous it is.

Also many in this thread are citing TCU, the 3.0's the ZF8's are TCM's.
Milpitas2.7T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2019, 13:44   #21
Pittdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milpitas2.7T View Post
What's the functional difference between the two?
Pittdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2019, 05:49   #22
named tintin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Let us know when you get something. Lots of us want pre EPA fix results. Right now the vehicle doesn't want to actually start going when you push the pedal, it's nuts how dangerous it is.

I do have both pre & post fix file of these, I can see the difference but I can't overwritte post file with pre fix, this does not work like this... not always.

If anyone want to try it, I can send/rent him my tool so we can tune his tranny to behave like it was before, I will base my mod on the prefix file, at the same time, I can improve it.
Old August 9th, 2019, 10:01   #23
Pittdawg

Quote:
I've been using a Sprintbooster as a stopgap until a retail tune is available. It's not as good as TCU tune but is greatly improved over stock.
Old August 9th, 2019, 14:34   #24
named tintin
Veteran Member

Just PM me guys, I do a lot of tuning on these tranny for Ecodiesel, the tuning is exaclty the same as for Vag or any other platform, the ZF8 software is ZF proprietary, so it's some sort of universal unlike the diesel engine of different brand.
Old August 9th, 2019, 17:54   #25
Pittdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by named tintin View Post
Just PM me guys, I do a lot of tuning on these tranny for Ecodiesel, the tuning is exaclty the same as for Vag or any other platform, the ZF8 software is ZF proprietary, so it's some sort of universal unlike the diesel engine of different brand.
In an earlier post you said you couldn't get the HPTuners to read the Q5 TDI platform, did you resolve that issue?
Old August 14th, 2019, 14:05   #26
Pittdawg

I wonder if this TCU tune made for the Euro 3.0 TDI Q5 would work?

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk...2967-ccm-7/#go
Old August 27th, 2019, 11:00   #27
KERMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Highly likely that slow response off the line is determined by something the engine (or its controls) is doing, not the transmission.

This. 100%
No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. - Neils Bohr
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote