www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 14th, 2019, 07:11   #16
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The Q5's accessory (Oris) hitch is rated for 4210 pounds. I just looked at one in the shop that I installed. 2000 kg.
Old August 14th, 2019, 07:25   #17
EARL97850
Veteran Member

TDI(s): N/A

If and when I might....maybe get around to getting a pair of jet skis that would be the object that is being towed. LOL

It is going to be a daily commuter vehicle as well as a long distance vacation drive vehicle.

Last edited by EARL97850; August 14th, 2019 at 07:28.
EARL97850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2019, 16:39   #18
TrdLtly

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARL97850 View Post
I changed the title of the thread a little by adding the Q5 into the mix.

I don't have a Q5 in the TDI anywhere close by to test drive, but I did take a 2016 Q5 for a test drive to see if my BIG butt fits or not. Lol

The Q5 is a much closer comparison to the Touareg.
I didn't mind it at all. It has a tighter turning radius than the Touareg...I realize that Q5 is shorter in wheel base by a few inches but I didn't expect it to turn that much tighter.

So now what do the masses say when comparing the Touareg & the Q5?
I compared the Q5 and the T'reg. I needed the extra room and towing so that required the T'reg.

I believe that the: Q7=T'reg and Q5=Tiguan in relation to size.

Last edited by TrdLtly; August 21st, 2019 at 16:42.
TrdLtly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2019, 16:46   #19
EARL97850
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdLtly View Post
I compared the Q5 and the T'reg. I needed the extra room and towing so that required the T'reg.

I believe that the: Q7=T'reg and Q5=Tiguan in relation to size.

That's about right on the comparations

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old August 21st, 2019, 17:55   #20
oilhammer

No. The Q3 is the Audi version of the Tiguan. There is no Volkswagen equivalent of the Q5. The Q5 rides on the longitudinal Audi A4 platform. Closest thing to that was the B5 Passat.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 19:57   #21
EARL97850
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
No. The Q3 is the Audi version of the Tiguan. There is no Volkswagen equivalent of the Q5. The Q5 rides on the longitudinal Audi A4 platform. Closest thing to that was the B5 Passat.

Thank you oilhammer for educating is all...I appreciate it.
I've driven a 2016 Q5 2.0liter gas motor recently just to show the wife the size... And I know that the 3.0TDI version will probably drive quite differently.

There is a 2013 Touareg Lux TDI close by that is on the radar and considering. Also there is a 2015 Porsche Cayenne TDI close by with a price tag on the high side.

I wish there was a TDI Q5 that I could drive so that the comparison is all fair.

Old August 23rd, 2019, 03:43   #22
oilhammer

The TDI Q5 is much better to drive than the 2.0L turbo gas engine, although that engine is able to move the car along quite nicely too. The shift mapping is quite different, as you'd expect. The ZF box will get into higher gears quicker and stay there more with the diesel. And they pull on the highway like nothing is going to stop them. I'd even say the TDI is nicer to drive than the gas V6s, aside from the supercharged one in the S version, which is a whole other experience.

To me, the Touareg "feels" more like a beast of a truck. Heavy, cumbersome, etc. The Q5 is a much more spirited fun thing to drive. Despite sharing the engine, they are VERY different vehicles.
Old August 23rd, 2019, 04:02   #23
EARL97850
Veteran Member

Everything I read says the same thing about the Q5 TDI.
Hopefully I get to drive one soon.

Old August 23rd, 2019, 07:17   #24
showdown 42
Veteran Member

The Q5 TDI will be a very hard to find unicorn, good hunting
showdown 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 12:17   #25
Daemon64

Fuel Economy: 4137 Miles - Avg on Computer 30.1MPG

I own a 2015 Q5 TDI( Premium Plus w/ Tech Package, Hitch, and Racks )... 240HP / 428 TQ @ 4400lbs. The towing capacity is 4,400lbs w/ a 440lbs tongue weight. I get 24 - 25 MPG in city (HEAVY traffic ), and 34 - 35MPG on the highway @ 80. This thing is seriously quick in stock form 0 - 60 in about 6.5( below 30 MPH is almost WRX fast ... which was my previous vehicle, and we have a 2011 WRX which has been highly modified ). The ride is comfortable and fairly well composed. It has a tendency to push from the rear on a quick WOT turn, but it composes itself solidly and it might drift the rear just slightly, but all the electrical trickery fixes it for you. I've taken it on class 6 roads, and a few minor hill climbs and such, and it was more than good enough. If you want serious ability in this area get one of the others. IT fits 4 super comfortably... with room to spare in the trunk space for stuff, and get roof racks, and there's 160lbs of extra stuff there.

Can't say enough good things about it. Car is great stock but....

If you want to pay to play you have plenty of options down the road.
From Other threads and research:

Magnaflow catback makes the throttle much more responsive and barely makes an audible difference.

Malone Stage 2, really brings this thing alive even more, it becomes really quick w/ DPF intact.( I had this tune on for a week, i pulled it so i can get the new emissions work done... but either way... awesome. I noticed my mileage was roughly the same )

Upgrade the intercooler to the darkside one if you live in an area that gets above 80 in the summer and you have the tune, will lower temps and you will get basically no timing pull and etc...

034 Motorsports makes an awesome rear swaybar, and endlinks for front and rear and when equipped makes the steering completely neutral and really shores up the cornering.

Billstein makes B6 Shocks ( use w/ factory Springs ) -- These are stock ride height and are around 10% stiffer ( they are listed as heavy duty in many places ) -- These are supposed to make the ride super composed if you want to keep factory ride height

Billstein makes B8 Shocks ( Uses H&R springs for the Q5 I believe ) - Lowers it down to about SQ5 ride height - 1.25 inch, and really makes the suspension come alive. Guys still tow with this w/o any issues -- vehicle still have 6.7" ground clearance here...

RSNav - Makes andriod tablets that sit infront of the radio and give you full touch screen w/ google maps, but keeps all of the audi mmi stuff intack 100%.

anyway... good luck w/ your purchase...
Daemon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 19:30   #26
EARL97850
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon64 View Post
I own a 2015 Q5 TDI( Premium Plus w/ Tech Package, Hitch, and Racks )... 240HP / 428 TQ @ 4400lbs. The towing capacity is 4,400lbs w/ a 440lbs tongue weight. I get 24 - 25 MPG in city (HEAVY traffic ), and 34 - 35MPG on the highway @ 80. This thing is seriously quick in stock form 0 - 60 in about 6.5( below 30 MPH is almost WRX fast ... which was my previous vehicle, and we have a 2011 WRX which has been highly modified ). The ride is comfortable and fairly well composed. It has a tendency to push from the rear on a quick WOT turn, but it composes itself solidly and it might drift the rear just slightly, but all the electrical trickery fixes it for you. I've taken it on class 6 roads, and a few minor hill climbs and such, and it was more than good enough. If you want serious ability in this area get one of the others. IT fits 4 super comfortably... with room to spare in the trunk space for stuff, and get roof racks, and there's 160lbs of extra stuff there.

Can't say enough good things about it. Car is great stock but....

If you want to pay to play you have plenty of options down the road.
From Other threads and research:

Magnaflow catback makes the throttle much more responsive and barely makes an audible difference.

Malone Stage 2, really brings this thing alive even more, it becomes really quick w/ DPF intact.( I had this tune on for a week, i pulled it so i can get the new emissions work done... but either way... awesome. I noticed my mileage was roughly the same )

Upgrade the intercooler to the darkside one if you live in an area that gets above 80 in the summer and you have the tune, will lower temps and you will get basically no timing pull and etc...

034 Motorsports makes an awesome rear swaybar, and endlinks for front and rear and when equipped makes the steering completely neutral and really shores up the cornering.

Billstein makes B6 Shocks ( use w/ factory Springs ) -- These are stock ride height and are around 10% stiffer ( they are listed as heavy duty in many places ) -- These are supposed to make the ride super composed if you want to keep factory ride height

Billstein makes B8 Shocks ( Uses H&R springs for the Q5 I believe ) - Lowers it down to about SQ5 ride height - 1.25 inch, and really makes the suspension come alive. Guys still tow with this w/o any issues -- vehicle still have 6.7" ground clearance here...

RSNav - Makes andriod tablets that sit infront of the radio and give you full touch screen w/ google maps, but keeps all of the audi mmi stuff intack 100%.

anyway... good luck w/ your purchase...

WOW!!!........

That's a great write up and a lot of very helpful information.
Thank you very much.

Old August 27th, 2019, 06:50   #27
Daemon64

Hahaha no issues. Just trying to help where I can. I'm newer to the VAG scene / mod scene.... but We have modified a 2011 WRX Hatchback w/ a TON of mods ( Built Motor - Stage 1 IAG Shortblock -- forged pistons / special piston rings, upgraded factory crank, fully rebuilt heads, killerB oil pickup, Coolant bypass for cyl 4 to allow more cooling, IAG Air oil seperator, Tuned Currently 292 WHP / 302 WTQ on 93 oct ( 3200lbs car ).... Upgraded front / rear sway bar and endlinks, new factory shocks / springs, Cobb Tuning Full Exhaust Downpipe to mufflers, turbo blanket and cobb upgraded fuel pump.... We are
currently dynomatting the entire car, and saving up to upgrade the turbo to blousch dominator 1.5x, ID 1050 injectors, Grimspeed upgraded TMIC / Charge pipe .... dyno turn says it should be around 350WHP / 360 WTQ w/ these mods. )

I'm waiting for the new AEM-C emissions fix ( New DPF, NOC, and O2 sensor ) before i continue to mod mine. I was noticing mine was pulling timing w/ the stage 2 w/ dpf, i looked in the temps were a bit high w/ it 95 out... so I talked to my tuner and they suggested to upgrade the intercooler....

I've rambled enough. If you have anymore questions about the Q, I'll answer what i can....

Also clubtaureg has some great info on the T-regs https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/d...10-r50-tdi.93/ ... I'm on there as well. For those a few people have TCM tunes already as well.
Old August 28th, 2019, 15:33   #28
EARL97850
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon64 View Post
Hahaha no issues. Just trying to help where I can. I'm newer to the VAG scene / mod scene.... but We have modified a 2011 WRX Hatchback w/ a TON of mods ( Built Motor - Stage 1 IAG Shortblock -- forged pistons / special piston rings, upgraded factory crank, fully rebuilt heads, killerB oil pickup, Coolant bypass for cyl 4 to allow more cooling, IAG Air oil seperator, Tuned Currently 292 WHP / 302 WTQ on 93 oct ( 3200lbs car ).... Upgraded front / rear sway bar and endlinks, new factory shocks / springs, Cobb Tuning Full Exhaust Downpipe to mufflers, turbo blanket and cobb upgraded fuel pump.... We are
currently dynomatting the entire car, and saving up to upgrade the turbo to blousch dominator 1.5x, ID 1050 injectors, Grimspeed upgraded TMIC / Charge pipe .... dyno turn says it should be around 350WHP / 360 WTQ w/ these mods. )
I'm waiting for the new AEM-C emissions fix ( New DPF, NOC, and O2 sensor ) before i continue to mod mine. I was noticing mine was pulling timing w/ the stage 2 w/ dpf, i looked in the temps were a bit high w/ it 95 out... so I talked to my tuner and they suggested to upgrade the intercooler....
I've rambled enough. If you have anymore questions about the Q, I'll answer what i can....
Also clubtaureg has some great info on the T-regs https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/d...10-r50-tdi.93/ ... I'm on there as well. For those a few people have TCM tunes already as well.
Fix or tune one thing many times leads to other upgrades that were either not thought of or wishful thinking that they would not be needed to be upgraded.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 16:36   #29
EARL97850
Veteran Member

Well I finally got to test drive a Q5 TDI.
It was a 2014 and very dirty and not detailed at all. It was at some small used car lot.
It had just over 81k and I wasn't expecting much given the outside & inside looks of the vehicle.

Up too this point in TDI SUV vehicle searching I had only driven the Touareg & Cayenne with the TDI engine, so I had only read from the forums that the Q5 TDI was quite a bit more lively than it's bigger & heavier cousins.
I was pleasantly surprised even though it had somewhat higher mileage that it was extremely quiet and refined.
This has had almost all of that mileage as a commuter car.

It surprised me at how quick the TDI makes this heavy vehicle scoot right along.

This test drive has definitely made me lean towards getting a Q5 TDI over one of it's larger cousins......but I'm not opposed to a Touareg or Cayenne either.

Last edited by EARL97850; September 4th, 2019 at 07:10.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 11:18   #30
Daemon64

Hey Earl,

Yeah, I'd agree w/ the refined and quiet part and that even though you know it can be quick, it def surprises me at times, be cruising along, need to do a passing menuever and it just keeps pulling, all the way to 100 MPH w/o any real fade at all ( didn't realize I'd hit that fast as a was merging on to a fast moving highway until it yelled at me for going over 95... hahaha ). Its a complete beast in that regards.... glad you liked it.