www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub


Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 5th, 2019, 12:40   #31
tikal
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southeast Texas
Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)
Default Every 10,000 miles or do a UOA to go beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsTDI View Post
You should Only use the proper spec and Viscosity Oil it calls for on Your engine I Only use dealer spec 5w30 Castrol Professional Oil & filter in my 2012 TDI $50.00 for Oil & another $17.30 for Oil filter at Local VW. i could use mobile 1 esp at $15.00 a liter but the dealers is cheaper and its proper oil & filter i change Oil & filter myself at 5,000 km's because its equiped with a turbo and i want to extend its life. but thats me many will argue that there extending there oil changes 15-20,000 just keep in mind. the Oil filter is in bypass mode at that mileage so its no longer filtering oil

but letting dirty oil back into Your engine. and if its a equiped with a turbo your jeperdizing its life span by wearing it out earlyier than normal. Oil is still cheap to buy vs buying an engine or turbo unit. many examples online of people pushing there oil changes well beyond the life of the oil change rec. with a disasterous & expensive $$ outcome.
Every 10,000 miles or 16,000 Km as per TDI manufacturer. If you want to go over 10,000 miles OCI then you may do a used oil analysis (UOA).

Another good value option with VW 507 approval: Mobil 1 ESP X1 0W-30

You can find it fairly easily at local auto stores (NAPA Auto, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto) and online (Amazon). Amazon price is around $10/quart shipped.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2019, 12:47   #32
johnsTDI
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
Fuel Economy: oh gosh alot better than burning Gasoline.?
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'lectricjeff View Post
This is what I bought: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-E...5-QT/145736795
I made a mistake, it is actually 22.48, but it also isn't 504 or 507. It IS 501.01, 502, and 505. I keep forgetting newer cars need the 507, but, it is probably still cheaper from other than the stealership.
Yes its wrong oil but at least You cought it in time freind. i will give You credit for posting it at making the mistake and admiting it lol were just human at the the end of the day and make mistakes just switch oil to either Mobile1 ESP 5w30 or Castrol 5w30 Professional VW dealer carries it.
johnsTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2019, 12:48   #33
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South of Boston
Fuel Economy: 50/45/37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'lectricjeff View Post
This is what I bought: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-E...5-QT/145736795
I made a mistake, it is actually 22.48, but it also isn't 504 or 507. It IS 501.01, 502, and 505. I keep forgetting newer cars need the 507, but, it is probably still cheaper from other than the stealership.
As far as I can tell the API SN (and SN Plus) are specs for turbocharged, direct injection gasoline engines. Not a diesel spec.
__________________
2002 Jetta wagon, 393K, RC3+; 1993 Mercedes-Benz 300D 2.5, 197K; 1997 Passat, 289K; '99.5 Golf, 260K; 2011 335d, 61K; 2015 Golf Sportwagen, 13K. Principal, http://www.idparts.com
Kid's cars: 2002 Golf TDI, 2002 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
IndigoBlueWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2019, 15:48   #34
'lectricjeff
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Eastern PA
Fuel Economy: 40.4 MPG
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsTDI View Post
Yes its wrong oil but at least You cought it in time freind. i will give You credit for posting it at making the mistake and admiting it lol were just human at the the end of the day and make mistakes just switch oil to either Mobile1 ESP 5w30 or Castrol 5w30 Professional VW dealer carries it.
Not the wrong oil for my 03 ALH which requires 505 per the owners manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
As far as I can tell the API SN (and SN Plus) are specs for turbocharged, direct injection gasoline engines. Not a diesel spec.
It may carry the gasoline ratings as well as diesel ratings. It says 505, 505.01, and 504 right on the bottle, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.
'lectricjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2019, 06:14   #35
scooperhsd
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kansas City KS
Default

An API spec that starts with S is for gasoline engines. Starting with C is for diesel engines.
__________________
2000 Red NB TDI, 370,000+ miles
Now 5 speed manual and onto 500,000 miles + !
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2019, 11:41   #36
ApriliaNut
Veteran Member
 
ApriliaNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SoCal
Default

Many here are doing oil analysis and I have read on this forum that Blackstone is not the route to go as they don't measure soot IIRC.



So can anyone steer me to another UOA company that includes the soot measurement [or whatever it is that is lacking in the Blackstone anaylsis]?


Thanks!
__________________
Ex SpoolinJim 06 one owner Jetta TDI w/Malone Stage 2. Love the suspension change to TDI Cup. Getting double the mileage of the C70 I sold. Happy Happy. Photo is of my Yamaha halo bike, a 94 GTS 1000 w/James Parker designed RADD front end. Can you say STABLE??


ApriliaNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2019, 09:18   #37
wensteph
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Savannah
Default

Rockauto sells the Wix kit for under $10. They do soot.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...577668&jsn=258
wensteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2019, 09:32   #38
johnsTDI
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
Fuel Economy: oh gosh alot better than burning Gasoline.?
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApriliaNut View Post
Many here are doing oil analysis and I have read on this forum that Blackstone is not the route to go as they don't measure soot IIRC.
So can anyone steer me to another UOA company that includes the soot measurement [or whatever it is that is lacking in the Blackstone anaylsis]?
Thanks!
Oil analysis? nah...! i dont bother. heres 5 reasons why? i don't bother spending $ on it. save Your money and put it toward oil & Filter changes. listen instead of trying to stretch out as long as You can go on that dirty Oil in the engine just change it at a reasonable interval and Your fine. i dont get why people on here go so long in-between oil changes also it brings up another issue as far as checking Oil Level in-between fill-ups many people i read on other forums dont check oil level until its too late. they put in Synthetic oil and drive until the Oil light comes on to where theres no oil in the engine because they have not checked it in 8,000 miles.! LOL
https://www.machinerylubrication.com...-analysis-know
johnsTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2019, 12:46   #39
'lectricjeff
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Eastern PA
Fuel Economy: 40.4 MPG
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsTDI View Post
Oil analysis? nah...! i dont bother. heres 5 reasons why? i don't bother spending $ on it. save Your money and put it toward oil & Filter changes. listen instead of trying to stretch out as long as You can go on that dirty Oil in the engine just change it at a reasonable interval and Your fine. i dont get why people on here go so long in-between oil changes also it brings up another issue as far as checking Oil Level in-between fill-ups many people i read on other forums dont check oil level until its too late. they put in Synthetic oil and drive until the Oil light comes on to where theres no oil in the engine because they have not checked it in 8,000 miles.! LOL
https://www.machinerylubrication.com...-analysis-know
Because the most wear occurs right after a change until the additives have time to actually do what they are designed to do. At 10k miles the additives are ir have just recently started fully doing their job is what is being found by oil analysis.
'lectricjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Its April..anyone find "new" Mobil 1 - Turbo Diesel Truck oil... BurpleTDI Fuels & Lubricants 260 June 3rd, 2007 06:12
VW dealer said diesel additives "snake oil"? zonaman1 VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas 9 September 15th, 2006 21:09
"lean" & "rich" diesel mix temps. skippytdi TDI 101 12 June 22nd, 2006 06:59
"Mileage" vs. "MPG" vs. "Mile range" vs. "Miles per tank" boyelectric TDI Fuel Economy 33 August 19th, 2002 06:06
5w-30 diesel oil named Lubricants World "Product of the Year" TooSlick Fuels & Lubricants 27 July 25th, 2002 00:46


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.17743 seconds with 13 queries
[Output: 99.46 Kb. compressed to 86.40 Kb. by saving 13.06 Kb. (13.13%)]