www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old May 7th, 2019, 08:46   #1876
TDIfahrvergnugen

Iíve always wanted to break the thousand mile record with my B4V, but have never taken the time to vent the massive 26 gallon tank.
The longest Iíve driven on one tank was 947 miles on 18.741 gallons - 50.5mpg. During my ownership of the B4V Iíve averaged 690 miles per tank.
Prior to that I had a B4S which once achieved 818 miles on 15.592 gallons - 52.5mpg. At the time the car had 307,000 miles. Even though the previous owner had clearly used the car pretty hard (cosmetically it was a wreck), the motor was in great shape and achieved consistent 50+mpg tanks.
Old July 14th, 2019, 13:57   #1877
Figit090
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38-42, I'm working on it.

I finally had a chance to time out a fuel-up that would give me almost exactly 700 miles. Assuming 17 gallon capacity, I only had 1.1 gallons left!
44.31mpg, hoping to do better, because most of this tank was a long trip with the wagon FULL of stuff (two people, filled flatbed style without read seat bottoms).

Tires at 38psi, fuel from Nevada. Added opti-lube summer mix but only 2oz. Dunno if California fuel will do as well....we'll see!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Old July 18th, 2019, 15:07   #1878
armyschus
Veteran Member

Can't get 700 mi in a 2015 Golf TDI. The tank only holds 12.5 gallons. On my recent trip to SW Michigan and back I got 629.2 mi on the way out and 630.8 mi on the way back. Added 12.225 gallons on ulsd for the trip out and 11.846 gallon on the return trip. That was good for 51.5 mpg and 53.2 mpg.
Old July 19th, 2019, 05:33   #1879
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyschus View Post
Can't get 700 mi in a 2015 Golf TDI. The tank only holds 12.5 gallons. On my recent trip to SW Michigan and back I got 629.2 mi on the way out and 630.8 mi on the way back. Added 12.225 gallons on ulsd for the trip out and 11.846 gallon on the return trip. That was good for 51.5 mpg and 53.2 mpg.
It can be done, but you have to drive the speed limit or close to it and use good mpg strategies like coasting in gear to stops, minimal braking, avoiding cruise control, taking advantage of the draft tow of vehicles in front, going a few psi over the recommended tire pressure, etc. I got 700 miles once in my GSW (see previous page) and that was enough for me. I just wanted to see if I could do it, and then I got back to my regular asshat driving style.

2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2019, 18:54   #1880
lowlife

TDI(s): 98 Jetta

Would anyone believe me if I said I can do this at 75 mph average? Only TDI owners believe me

I have an 03 jetta with 334k miles. It goes round trip From Minnesota to Kansas City 2 times a month. I know my avg speed based on time and distance using GPS as the speedo is off. Actually I havent pushed to 700 on a tank because it puts me too close to running out on the highway. My mileage is 49 mpg round trip and 417 miles gets me slightly less than 1/2 tank. So am I a member of the 700 mile club? Theoretically I can make it.
Old July 30th, 2019, 09:14   #1881
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

This talk of miles per tank and a thread on TDI swap Tiguan had me thinking. Mine takes 15-16 gallons regularly (no venting or topping off). I wonder how many miles I could get per tank in that with a TDI? I already get close to 500 miles on a road trip with the TSI.

Wonder if the couple TDI Tiguan owners could chime in?

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2019, 08:29   #1882
Figit090
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38-42, I'm working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlife View Post
Would anyone believe me if I said I can do this at 75 mph average? Only TDI owners believe me

I have an 03 jetta with 334k miles. It goes round trip From Minnesota to Kansas City 2 times a month. I know my avg speed based on time and distance using GPS as the speedo is off. Actually I havent pushed to 700 on a tank because it puts me too close to running out on the highway. My mileage is 49 mpg round trip and 417 miles gets me slightly less than 1/2 tank. So am I a member of the 700 mile club? Theoretically I can make it.
If the tank is the same, with 49mpg you could make it, I just made it with 42 in a wagon chassis. That's assuming your methods for measuring gallons are accurate and the pump reports accurately. I fill to the brim every time to reduce variables. I don't know what qualifies for the club though...I think most people actually make the mark! It's all theories until you're on the ragged edge of a dry fuel pump haha
Old August 10th, 2019, 12:00   #1883
Little Jack
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Average 39

My mother lived in Sun City West Arizona. I live in Colorado Springs Colorado. The distance is over 830 miles between the two areas. I always made it on one tank of fuel and had fuel to spare. One time, when my wife didn't come with me, I made it all the way without stopping. Before getting to mom's house I did go to a filling station to empty my pee jug in their restroom. Not my common practice, but just to see if I could do it.
Little Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2019, 11:54   #1884
Just sum dudes TDI

Fuel Economy: 800 - 1200 a tank

I've hit 1300KM(803Mi) to a tank, I have no idea with that works out to in MPG, but that 100% highway driving, in a completely stock 2012 manual, TDI Jetta, Pre-emissions fix, while filling the tank right up to the filler tube... and shaking the car to get every little bubble out that I could.

My 2013 manual, TDI golf wagon, doesn't do quite as well... but I haven't been on any long highway trips with it yet.

Last edited by Just sum dudes TDI; August 19th, 2019 at 11:56. Reason: Mispelling
Just sum dudes TDI is offline   Reply With Quote