Replaced Injector, Experiencing Exhaust Smoke and Turbo Malfunction

John S.

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Hey Everyone,
I run a 2006 Jetta TDI, and I've been dealing with a turbo malfunction for quite a while. At first I was getting a misfire in the second cylinder, which would make my car completely stop accelerating and blast black smoke for a good 10, sometimes maybe even 20 seconds before the turbo was engaged and would hit HARD.
After I replaced that, I made the mistake of misaligning my vacuum tubes, and had to deal with no turbo and maybe some sort of light limp mode until I realigned them. During that time, I had no black smoke coming out the exhaust, and assumed that was solely the result of my bad injector. Now that my turbo is able to be engaged, I'm getting a similar stutter during acceleration after starting my engine or stopping at an intersection, some black smoke, and then my turbo engages. This issue is far less severe than it was before the new injector.
I've noticed my turbo actuator is making a hissing sound, which I previously thought was caused by a slit hose connected to it, but now there's no slit hose. I read in another thread that someone mentioned you can replace and O-ring on the actuator and that may stop air from escaping.
So, in short, I'm curious if someone else has had similar issues and may know a way to fix these problems without buying a new turbo assembly. I was going to post pictures of the tube connections to make sure I got it right, but I'm not seeing where I can post them as attachments, so any help on that front would be appreciated too.
Thanks for the help!

mextdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 1.9, 2012 Passat TDI SE DSG, Previous 2014 Beetle TDi, 2012 Golf TDi DSG
It seems like there are a few issues going on here. It is imperative and extremely important that all your vacuum hoses are hooked up right and they are not broken. I had an issue where my vacuum connections were broken at the T connected to the Tandem pump. When I unplugged the T, it was all ripped up and losing vacuum badly. Your engine needs vacuum to run the turbo correctly or it will run as it is for you right now. There's lots of little hoses behind the cam cover, look at those and make sure they are all properly connected and connected right. After making sure that is correct then you can attempt the zip tie fix for the actuator which is a simple fix that could potentially help.

Fix your vacuum hoses first!!!!!!