Replacing 0A4 transmission shift selector bearing

Rezer

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So I had noticed the seal on top of the shift selector mechanism (shift tower?) on the top of the transmission was leaking a bit, and I found a guide for changing this seal along with the bearing on an 02J transmission. I attempted to do this procedure, since the 0A4 is extremely similar to an 02J, but this seems to be one of those points where they differ...I am unable to get the selector shaft separated from the cover where the bearing is contained.

Now, the service manual for the 0A4 specifically states that these two parts cannot be separated, but I find that unsurprising given that the typical course of action would be to just toss the entire assembly and replace it for $400, so I'm taking that assertion with a grain of salt. The manual does say the seal can simply be pried out and replaced, but I'd rather replace the bearing if I can.

Is there a way to actually replace the bearing on this transmission, or should I just stick to replacing the seal and call it a day?

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
I’ve seen a few of these towers and the manual is correct, the 0A4 tower assembly cannot be separated in order to inspect the bearing.

With the tower installed, you can test the functionality of the bearing. With the shift cables disconnected, row through all the gears and listen/feel for any bearing roughness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rezer

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The bearing feels fine, I just thought this might be a good time to replace it as I'm already replacing the seal and I'm sitting at 310K miles. I guess I'll just stick to replacing the seal then, thanks for the confirmation.