New VW owner experiencing questionable reliability: Is this normal?

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
Hey everyone, I bought a “fixed” 2012 Golf TDI 6M with 39k miles in March 2018 I’ve put 26k miles on it (rolled over 65k today) and experienced a ton of issues IMO. I’m used to Toyotas and only having to do routine maintenance, so I’m wondering, is this typical? Here’s what I’ve had the dealership do so far under CPO warranty:

A/C recharge (twice; dealer missed a leaking Schrader valve the first time)
Replaced both taillight assemblies, no external damage, but leaking and condensation
Heater core replaced
Horn wire pinched during Takata airbag replacement (dealer’s fault, but horn wouldn’t stop which was rather comical)
CEL/MIL for DPF (had it in the dealer, they regenerated it and it went again 300 miles later, bringing it in tomorrow)

I think that’s it, but did I get a lemon or is this typical? Pretty frustrated with dealers and VW at this point but I absolutely love the car.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Not typical. I think the AC in these cars is garbage though. 125K miles and just headlight bulbs and ac or.bad roller TBD. Get rid of that emission junk to save you headaches. 3rd TDI never been to dealers not worth my time.to drop off, just fix.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
I owned a 2010 TDI Sportwagen I bought new and drove it 110k miles before the buyback and did nothing to it but replace the battery and change the oil. It was the best car I had ever owned. So I bought a 2013 TDI buyback. So far so good.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Sounds more like that dealership has sub par service. I think the 2 yr dieselgate storage gave issue to most of the problems discused here. Lost freon, sticking rcv, on A/C for example

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It's no secret that VW's have never had, and will probably never have Toyota-like reliability. Though mine have been mostly problem free. VW can also be pretty miserable to deal with on warranty issues. Sitting around parked in a giant lot for a year or two post buyback also didn't do these cars any favors. If you love the car, just accept it's flaws and drive on.

Rogo

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I bought mine with 79k, and now have 89k with no problems other than the serpentine belt taking a dump on me starting it up one day after just driving it just a few weeks ago. Only problem I had, but wasn't worried since it was the original and a big wear item. When I got the car I changed the all the filters, Liqui Moly 4200, and got new tires.

I haven't had a problem, but I won't say I won't. As many others have said, it was the sitting around that gave all the problems people are having.

My TDI, the owner very clearly drove it until the last mile he could to remain elibile for the buy back. From the history reports it was well maintained and looks to only of sat about 10ish months give or take. I really think I got lucky that it didn't sit for any longer.

I think with the service you had done you will be ok. Just remember you bought an overly engineered vehicle that sat for way to long. Fix the smaller issues that will crop up or sell it.

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
Thanks everyone for your responses. DPF will be replaced under extended emissions warranty at 65k miles. The service advisor thought the EGR was "all one system" with the DPF... I'm going to confirm if they're replacing that also. I was also told driveability isn't affected if I want to drive it while the DPF is on backorder, I told him I'll keep the rental that VW is paying for.

From the Carfax, it looked like the car was bought back in Oct. 2017, emissions fix was done in Jan. 2018 and I bought it in March 2018 so it really didn't sit long.

I'll search the forum for a good indie shop in Minneapolis once my CPO warranty is up because I'm sick of dealers.

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
Mine is also a '12, and I've seen the heater core problem (replaced it at 70K) and condensation in one tail light, which went away in spring and is being ignored for the time being. May have been related to a Wyoming thunderstorm that, I am not stretching anything, resulted in 30-foot visibility.
Have been very happy with my responsive family-owned dealership. Otherwise routine maintenance.

Had fewer problems with my '80s and '90s Jettas.

Last edited: