www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted

TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted VW TDI/Diesel cars for sale and wanted.

Old April 11th, 2013, 13:48   #16
MikeS_18
Veteran Member

Here is another example to be aware of. And this is the true meaning of curbstoning: I had a guy who was selling a car for a bit below what the going rate was. The car passed the carfax, was in nice shape, but he was selling it for a friend.

He had a signed title - signed by the previous owner - maybe - and I could have bought it. But when I pressed him to allow me to simply call the previous owner to insure that he had permission to sell it, he got all uptight and said the owner didn't want to put up with all the BS and that I should be on my way.

Gee, how rude of me to verify who the rightful owner was...

Anyway, I suspect he didn't steal the car - I went to the guys house and he had his car there and gave me his name and email and cellphone etc. - but I suspect he bought the car and didn't want to pay tax and register it, so he was passing the title straight to me. THAT is what curbstoning is.

Obviously I moved on, but it took me a bit to sniff this one out and now I'm more paranoid than ever...thanks Mr Curbstoning Jerk.
MikeS_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 19:36   #17
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.

Please continue to report all suspect curb stoners to me or Compu. We now have an automatic infraction point system.

Thanks to the community membership for all your efforts
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 00:44   #18
peterdaniel
Veteran Member

And might I ask, what exactly defines a curbstoner? Is it someone who buys a car, titles it and registers in his own name and then perhaps decides he wants to go in a different direction?

What is this automatic infraction system? What are the points awarded for and what are the definitions? Or are they whatever "we" feel it should be?
Does the person get to defend what they are accused of or do they just get banned out of the blue without explanation? Do they get to see the accusations and accusers against them?
I think these are very valid points. "We" certainly wouldn't want to appear unfair as if anything other than legitimate violations are being considered.
peterdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 08:49   #19
VW_Lupo_TD
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 4er Golf

also wanted to add that there is now a website that will allow you to find the appropriate DMV Investigations Division which you can report curbstoners or other criminal activities to : http://www.stopcurbstoning.com/repor...ing-in-the-usa

most of these places still use stone age means of communication like phone and fax
numbers - but at least it is a start. one day they might add an email address where one can send all pertaining infos to in order to report a curbstoner.

I recently reported a gentleman selling a car in Cali without his name in the title and in the aabsence of a dealer license 0 naturally he was selling the car as 1-owner PRIVATE SELLER on ebay.

i had to send a pdf with the communication in which he replied to my question as to whose name the title is in and he stating he buys and sells cars but has no dealer license to 4 different CA DMV Investigations offices before one number even worked ;-)
So clearly the authorities are not very receptive to the general public bringing them work ;-)

ebay of course is also deaf in regards to this manner, as their reporting systems seems to only provide the illusion for the public with their reporting system, which
has never taken down a single ad.

maybe we should just start posting VIN numbers for cars that are being offered by curbstoners ?

also noteworthy : https://faxzero.com/ also you 5 free faxes a day with the possibility of attaching word docs and pdfs.
(since i have not owned a fax since 1986 and imagine most people here do not even remember what a fax is) ;-)

Last edited by VW_Lupo_TD; June 12th, 2013 at 09:04.
VW_Lupo_TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 20:05   #20
MikeS_18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdaniel View Post
And might I ask, what exactly defines a curbstoner?
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=17

Some here get unhappy if people flip cars. But if you do it legally, I don't have a problem with you. and if you want to come here only to sell a car, I'm not sure what the problem is either.
MikeS_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 00:11   #21
gerpeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Lupo_TD View Post
also noteworthy : https://faxzero.com/ also you 5 free faxes a day with the possibility of attaching word docs and pdfs.
(since i have not owned a fax since 1986 and imagine most people here do not even remember what a fax is) ;-)
I work as a business consultant and you would be surprised at how many business still rely on faxing every day. Faxing is still widely being used around the work including US and Canada.
gerpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 20:13   #22
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS_18 View Post
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=17

Some here get unhappy if people flip cars. But if you do it legally, I don't have a problem with you. and if you want to come here only to sell a car, I'm not sure what the problem is either.
It's also about disclosure and fair dealing. If you're flipping cars for "side business" but pretending to be a personal, casual seller, that's deceitful and unethical--curbstoning.
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 01:32   #23
kitko100

Fuel Economy: 40ish country driving

ive seen a lot of scams on cars.com and craigslist. its always someone usually a vet trying to sell a car fast because they are being sent over seas thats red flag 1. red flag #2 they wont want to talk on the phone only email or text so watch your back interweb shoppers.
kitko100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 07:20   #24
Perfectreign
Veteran Member

My mom asked me some years back to sell her '98 Dodge. I put it on Craigslist at. $4000 and quickly recieved an offer for much more. The person was to send me a cashiers check for $8500, and i would send him the difference.

If course, I knew the scam already, so agreed to the check. It looked real, and was even drawn on a real bank, just not an existing account.

I scanned it for future reference.

2006 Chevy Avalanche WBH LS

2016 Chevy Malibu Hybrid
Perfectreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 07:29   #25
dtrvler

It is important to do your diligent research every time you buy a car. Some here make it sound like dealers are safe to buy from and individuals are not. I wish it was that simple. But its not. For example...before one buys an A5 2006 Jetta with the BRM and either trans there are some questions which simply have to be answered by a pre purchase inspector regardless of the selling entity. Is the DMF rattling? Is the DSG shifting properly?Is the cam worn? Is the clutch worn out? Is the EGR Cooler leaking exhaust gas? Is the turbo working properly? Etc. Its worth the money to get things cked out. Dealers are not necessarily safe places to buy a car. Just be careful and get the carfax and a prepurchase inspection. imho.

Last edited by dtrvler; November 27th, 2013 at 07:33.
Old December 7th, 2013, 17:30   #26
TDINOTGTI

I consider myself so be a seasoned used car buyer having bought dozens of cars over the years both from private individuals and dealers. A few years back I bought a beautiful BMW 325ci coupe and thought I was doing my dd while checking it out both in person and by using Carfax. It turns out thanks to a good friend of mine he pointed out that something about the front end that just didn't seem right and as weeks went by I started to take notice. I rechecked the Carfax just to make sure that there were no accidents reported now follow me here the key word is reported. So I decided to run a check with another company called Autocheck and lo and behold it showed that the car was involved in a front end collision. Of course the dealer did not want to know me by then and I was going to sue but just decided to live with it until I traded it in for another vehicle. These car check companies are no substitute for a qualified auto body shop to check the car out for you. GLTA and remember it is always buyer beware!
TDINOTGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2017, 12:46   #27
gotsoot
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41 and looking for more

why do ins co`s want a higher premium for a salvaged title car,with just liability
gotsoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 10:31   #28
duteman2
Veteran Member

Default Just to be sure...

I went back to my ad to make sure I was completely frank about the 4Motion Passat wagon I'm selling. I have no desire to misrepresent anything, and I guess "Project ... parts car" and... "sat for two years"... and "not running"... is pretty straightforward! No question CarFax is not perfect, but it's right most of the time and all buyers should spend a few bucks to get the report. Buyer beware, for sure.
duteman2 is offline   Reply With Quote