B4V Owners: Proof of Value docs

Howler

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI
So, lets say the worst happened, your B4V is wrecked. Then to top it off, your insurance co. offers you a pittance for replacement value (i.e. Blue Book). At the very least, you can offer proof of value to your insurance co. using the photo's below to increase the amount your insurance co would pay out.

I encourange others to add their docs. to this post. Please make sure to remove any incriminating evidence, like your SSN, Drivers license number. PM me if you need me

Here are my docs, showing value of over $8100 to drive a 1996 Passat TDI Wagon with 122,000 miles off the lot in New Jersey.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
You don't want to hear from me, but your accident appraiser (may you never need one) might want to know.
My 1996 Passat TDI wagon was bought off a NJ dealer's lot this past summer for $4700. How does my lower purchase price factor into your appraiser's "replacement cost" assessment? You know as well as I that the insurance company has to find only ONE low priced unit to claim that that one could be the replacement.

My first Passat TDI sedan was written off after an accident. I was annoyed that the adjusted "value" they paid me for the total loss was far less than I would have accepted as reasonable, until I found and bought another Passat TDI sedan for LESS than their payment.
Shows how much sentiment plays into the different ideas of value.

Howler

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI
Jonathan,

Point well taken.

However, if you were looking to minimize the amount an insurance company would pay out, the former owner or insurance company could go to you. Here on the west coast, where these cars are rare, what I would want is full replacement value. I do not think one could be found on the west coast anywhere for $4700. Try double that.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I have a B4S (not "V"), 97, 126K+, and I paid $10K for it. It depends on the condition. Take pictures, whatever. Would I be able to help the cause? purchased in SF,CA

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The insurance replacement valuation will be the lesser of the replacement cost, commonly the "Kelly blue book value" or that of an independent, licensed appraisal of the specific vehicle, but then only if insured to that "stated valuation". I didn't have this problem with my Passats, but my collectible 1969 SAAB Sonett is insured for a stated appraised value rather than the Kelley average value. If your B4 is if such good condition as to warrant the payment of an appraisal, and the increased premium to insure it to that valuation, then by all means consider it.

sactotdi

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon Shadow Blue
Do similar cars that have sold on eBay count as documentation? If so, you can a few examples of similar vehicles and their sale prices there.