2009 Jetta Shark fin antenna

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I'll look later.

That's going to be one hell of a project though. You have to route the sat antenna cable down through the headliner, down the pillar and up to the radio.

You also might need a different rear windshield. I believe the shark fin equipped cars have a "diversity" antenna installed in the rear windshield. That's why the rear defroster looks funny.

Easier to just get a submini Sirius antenna and go that route. It might even work like the GPS antenna that can be mounted under the dash. I don't see why it couldn't.

rotorhead23

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Highline 6 Spd Manual
Yeah I know about the routing of the cable. I can do that myself but the problem is still getting a cable. We looked for a part number at the dealer this morning and could not find one, so he called VW and they said there isn't one so would have to make one up. How could there not be a replacement cable? What if one gets damaged? The Shark Fin is part #3C0 035 507Q. The radio I have, so it's just the cable now.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
It might be that the antenna has enough lead on it to route to the location where the Sirius receiver was located at in the '09 and older cars. In order to avoid a huge design re-do for the '10 cars, there may be a Sirius exetension with a VW part number that goes from that location up to the radio.

I ordered this to extend from the rear deck location where my Sirius lead was to the front when I put in the RNS-510.

http://www.myradiostore.com/sirius/...xtensions/extension-20-foot-myradiostore.html

I don't remember if I got 15 or 20 foot, but 20 will definitely get you there. I think 15 should get you there as well.

rotorhead23

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Highline 6 Spd Manual
dzcad90 did you have to use connector adapters to use that cable, if so which ones? Where did you get them? Anything else I need?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
IIRC, I had to remove the plastic Fakra housing off of the cable at either end and it just "snug" fits in the radio (it's not going anywhere, mine hasn't for a year.) and then I mated the two together in the rear and used a small peice of electrical tape to hold the two together and it's tucked away neatly in the trunkliner.