What did you do to your MKIV today?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Steel plates should have come stock on these cars. High speed urban travel is especially bad with junk falling off trucks and the aluminum oil pan inches from the road.

Remember it was designed for Germany where the roads are better maintained.

aleksanderk

TDI
Golf mk4 1,9
Took the Golf from the drive into the garage and closed the door so I don't have to look at it until it starts to behave nicely.

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug
Managed to git’r in limp mode, floored in third and limp’d at 3700rpm. I could just not drive like this, but who are we all kidding? Can anyone diagnose, without cleaning or replacing or deleting and tuning? Plans for RC2

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Dropped IBW off at Kraftwerke for:
  • Swapping in a non-leaking reman 11mm IP
  • Timing belt service (at 90K, but with the pump swap seems like it's time)
  • Thermostat
  • Coolant temp sensor
  • Oil cooler (seal replacement didn't work, still leaks)
  • Serpentine belt tensioner or roller (something's squeaking)
  • Hood release cable (it's getting very difficult to release)
Hopefully that will give me some trouble-free miles.

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug
Remember it was designed for Germany where the roads are better maintained.
While driving in Staten Island years ago in the lowered 99.5, I sheared my oil plate off on a unmarked, no cones, no road work signs grated road with a raised manhole cover. NYPD felt bad for me as their were no signage as my car bleed out black

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Managed to git’r in limp mode, floored in third and limp’d at 3700rpm. I could just not drive like this, but who are we all kidding? Can anyone diagnose, without cleaning or replacing or deleting and tuning? Plans for RC2
Get it straitened out before you tune. Car that age, could be the turbo actuator is shot, vacuum tubes are done or any of 6 or 7 other things.

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
For a second I did think that was the issue, filled up at a shell $2.85/g. Is anyone using fuel saving apps like getupside?

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
For a second I did think that was the issue, filled up at a shell $2.85/g. Is anyone using fuel saving apps like getupside?

Does it work? Heard that gas buddy did that but was hesitant to go that route. What’s your experience with your app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
Does it work? Heard that gas buddy did that but was hesitant to go that route. What’s your experience with your app?

I tried getting work to sign up for the app and the work phone.. hasn’t happened. Concerned it sucks data and battery. There are other options for fuel rewards..

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Sunday the 17th marked my 1 year of ownership w/ the '03 Jetta. Bought at 418k, now just turned 433k. A few weeks ago, it knew my NY inspection was due in March, and CEL came on:mad:. This year it was the P0671 code, #4 glow plug. I finally got around to replacing it, along with the other 3.I sprayed them all down with Kroil a few times over the past couple weeks.Took it for a drive to warm engine up, and used torque wrench set at 14.5 ft/lbsto break them free, then used a 1/4 drive wrench to back them out rest of way. No problems. A drive didn't reset the monitors yet, so hopefully cel doesn't come on anymore.....

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Try a drive where you do 2 or 3 accelerations, 0-60 at WOT. Then shut it off for a couple of minutes, then do it again. Cruise around for 5 minutes, then check the readiness bits. They should be ready to go. The ALH is so easy to set the bits, that the VCDS doesn't have a program to do it like they do with most of the gasser variants.

Cheers,

PH

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Does NYS check readiness monitors on a 16 year old car? MA stops at 15 years. Safety only for me now.

mathanz

TDI
2003 Wagon, auto, 127k miles
Installed new 120 amp TYC alternator from ID parts. Upgrade from the 90 amp that came on it. I hope TYC is a good brand and holds up. Any ideas what to do with the old alternator? If I can find my tool, I’ll pull the pulley off. It only had 30k miles on it. The alternator had 127k and was making an awful grinding noise. Glad it didn’t come apart while driving.

Also did new belt tensioner assembly while there and idler pulley. Both sounded like they had gravel in them.

The power steering pump / pulley has a little play. Hopefully that’s not going out too. Anyone know how much play is too much?

Also recently replaced my front seats with gray leather seats from a Passat. Had to swap the bases but that’s it. Easy peasy lemon squeezy once I found the right saw to cut the old bases off.

I love keeping this car running. 03 Auto wagon with 127k miles. Got a trans swap kit in the garage waiting for it when the time comes.

Thanks to TDI Club for all the help keeping it purring along!

mathanz

TDI
2003 Wagon, auto, 127k miles
I could use the pulley! Mine is starting to make noises DM me if you can sell it.

Bako, I’ll look again tonight for my pulley tool. Also, you’ll need one to get your old one off.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Bako, I’ll look again tonight for my pulley tool. Also, you’ll need one to get your old one off.

Yeah let me know. Otherwise I’ll just buy a new one. It’s not that expensive. And yeah, looking at idparts for the metalnerd tool.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Does NYS check readiness monitors on a 16 year old car? MA stops at 15 years. Safety only for me now.
Yes - it's set to a specific year (1997 and newer), not a rolling age.

"All model year 1997 or newer non-exempt diesel-powered vehicles, registered anywhere in New York State, with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) less than 8,501 pounds, must get an annual OBDII emissions inspection, and are not subject to the diesel emissions inspection."

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
"All model year 1997 or newer non-exempt diesel-powered vehicles, registered anywhere in New York State, with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) less than 8,501 pounds, must get an annual OBDII emissions inspection, and are not subject to the diesel emissions inspection."
What does "not subject to the diesel emissions inspection" mean?

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
It’s a $13 safety inspection here in NC for a light duty diesel. Pass on safety equipment, N/A on emissions and tampering insp. Taxes $12. Have an appointment at a new Audi/VW/Volvo performance shop next Friday to have the turbo, turbo components, timing belt, rollers and a general inspection. The TB was done at 319k, has 353k.. lower roller failure on the 99.5 which cost me a head job, trying to avoid that as the 00 had a head job @200k (probably a TB failure)

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
What does "not subject to the diesel emissions inspection" mean?
I think some counties near NYC have the smog test for diesels. Anything that has an obd port gets checked for readiness -'01 and older can have 2 not ready, anything newer is only allowed 1 not ready. Good news is next day I drove car, my scangauge showed ready, so I put the scanner on and everything was ready. Appointment on Tuesday. Next weekend is supposed to be warmer, so time to get maintenance caught up and things replaced....

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
I think some counties near NYC have the smog test for diesels. Anything that has an obd port gets checked for readiness -'01 and older can have 2 not ready, anything newer is only allowed 1 not ready. Good news is next day I drove car, my scangauge showed ready, so I put the scanner on and everything was ready. Appointment on Tuesday. Next weekend is supposed to be warmer, so time to get maintenance caught up and things replaced....
My 00 has a obII compliant sticker, can I delete that and plug up the port? :D

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
My 00 has a obII compliant sticker, can I delete that and plug up the port? :D
You may need to run a tune, there's a chance you'll get an EGR flow rate fault code.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Got my wiper linkage swapped out on Saturday. I'd forgotten how fast the wipers actually are supposed to be on this thing - they'd been much slower for so long.

And I have to echo others who've said it - the wiper motor/gears are really strong. I could barely move the driver's pivot on the old linkage when I was putting the entire weight of my body into it, I don't know how the motor was managing through plastic gears.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Fixed the lock on the Y2K Golf's hatch. For a couple of months now, the tailgate would not lock, and the key cylinder has refused to admit the key for several years now.

The cause was the usual - broken wire in the upper right corner.

Cheers,

PH

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Installed some DLC1019s this morning. Need to dial back my IQ now :)