2006 Jetta TDI rough idle and surge on highway

tdipwr

TDI
1996 tdi passat wagon,1991 jetta 2 door diesel
We have a 2006 Jetta TDI with 179,000 miles. It has a rough idle sometimes not all the time though and a surge at highway speed. Recently replaced fuel filter with no help and vag shows no codes also cleaned the egr.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I am not a master or even necessarily good VW mechanic, but the following are my contributions and suggestions.

The ASV gears and operation should be examined. The plastic parts are crappy and it may not work as advertised.

Perhaps the turbo control vanes are intermittently sticking. I don't know what to do about it if they are.

The ECM does not seem either to measure vacuum or throw codes that specifically point to vacuum problems. I have had several mystery problems solved that turned out to be vacuum line or component related. I think it is relatively easy to check all the vacuum lines and components to verify they are working correctly.

There are also probably VAG readings that could lead to identifying the issues, but since there seems to be such a bewildering array of them and VW has not been the least bit helpful by explaining how to interpret any of them. There are many threads in this group's posts that are helpful in interpreting them however.

When you fix it, please post whatever you eventually find to be the solution.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, pulling the valve cover and examining the camshaft would be my first step.

The camshaft can be inspected visually or by running a finger along the chamfered edge of each lobe... if any lobe has a chamfer that looks or feels sharp the chamfer is gone and so is the cam. :)

If things are quite worn wear may be obvious on the face of a lifter or two.. although it's sometimes a bit hard to see without pulling the cam.