No start, looks like ECU issue, need help trouble shooting

VKH.TDI

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta
Hi, so I've got a 2006 jetta TDI Manuel, i had parked it for the winter up here in Canada, because i blew a belt in a tire and didn't needs it for the winter. it was running great when i parked it. now a few weeks ago i decided i needed it again so i pull it out of the snowbank, it did have quite a bit of snow over it for a while. so i pulled the battery out to thaw in the house and charged it up, threw it in the car and tried to start it after having the block heater plugged in for 4-5hrs, it was probably -10, -15C out. it cranked great but wouldn't fire, my first thought what ice in the lines(as this happened to a truck of mine before), so i pulled the fuel filter to see if the fuel pump was sending or if the filter had ice in it and it wasn't and didn't... I changed the filter while i had it open as it was pretty dirty. after further inspection i noticed the glowplug light was not comming on and the MIL lap wouldn't pop up during initial key turn like normal. which led me to a few threads here, but now i don't know what my next step is, i checked all the fuses in the car, and now iv pulled the ECU out to see if some ice or water got under the sil and pushed the plugs out or corroded them or something. iv looked all over for wiring diagrams but can never seem to find the right one so i can check if the ECU is getting power or if its fried,l i could really use a point or too in the right direction, thanks in advance! Cheers!

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
If you suspect the ECU is at fault ( dead) check one of your sensors (ECT, MAF, MAP) to see if there is a 5 volt reference. Do it with the key in the run position
If you see it, it’s not your ECU and move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VKH.TDI

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta
If you suspect the ECU is at fault ( dead) check one of your sensors (ECT, MAF, MAP) to see if there is a 5 volt reference. Do it with the key in the run position
If you see it, it’s not your ECU and move on

Ok, so i imagine plug the ECU back in, pull a sensor, turn key, check senor wires for 5v? sorry i just want to get it right haha

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
Correct. On the cluster you want to see the CEL illuminated as well

VKH.TDI

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta
ok ill give that a got but if i know for sure that the CEL isn't lighting up, should i still bother to check?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Was the glow plug light coming on before you pulled the ECU?

VKH.TDI

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta
Could anyone direct me to a wiring diagram? so i can check my power and grounds for the ecu? and which relay is the one i gotta check?

VKH.TDI

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta
Well I've mended it! thanks for all your help guys, the old unplug it and plug it back in a few times worked! now to just fix that pesky front end shimmy!

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I've mended it! thanks for all your help guys, the old unplug it and plug it back in a few times worked! now to just fix that pesky front end shimmy!

Bad connection perhaps. Gotta love those easy fixes [emoji106]