Blame DSG? Touchy getting off brakes for small gradual roll

mx-5

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI (returned), 2015 Golf TDI
I currently have a 2015 Golf TDI with DSG. About 35k km now. 2015 sold as new in 2017. Phase 1 done before purchase, haven’t done phase 2 yet.

Say, when I am in my garage, fully stopped and solidly on my brake pedal. I want to get off brakes gradually just to gently roll the car an extra inch (I have tight garage and want to just clear my garage door). When I gradually get off the brakes, it doesn't seem to want to move until I've eased off the pedal enough before the car starts moving, but probably because I'm now off brakes enough, it would kinda shoot farther than what I wanted. This happens in both forward and reverse.

Probably unique if you have similar need to make slow controlled teensy weensy roll. Under normal driving on the road, I would never need to do this to ever feel the brakes are touchy or anything. I’ve felt this since new, but never thought of bringing up with dealer since last service.

Dealership says it's how DSG behave, it needs to be off brakes enough to engage into gear.

I previously owned a 2011 Jetta TDI with DSG which was bought back and don't recall this behaviour.

Anyone else experience the same?

Thanks.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
This is normal when u let off brake feels like a clutch Engaging As I recall this is my sixth DSG they all at the same
If you ever get on a steep incline and try to back up you also fill a slip in the DSG I have done a DSG tune And can tell you on that car it’s less noticeable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
This is normal from my experience on the DSG. From what I am reading the DSG is a manual trans shifted electronically. So the computer is doing guess work for when you want to be in gear and when you want to sit still. The guess work is where the DSG tries its best but sometimes “falls short”. Personally for the most part I think that whoever did the computer tuning for the trans was a genius because it is dang smooth for guess work on the computers behalf, all the while giving us the bonus of a dual clutch trans and a manual at the same time (strength and speed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk