DIY ECU tuning?

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
HumboldtDiesel said:
I dont see why tuners would feel the need to hoard there information
I have EFI Live for my Duramax which is fully open to public tuning yet I and 99% of the people out there arent going to try and make a high HP tune. Heck you could even steal canned tunes with it but it doesnt seem to be a problem
I would much rather buy the tune from a pro, its really very complicated.
Works great for the not so complicated things like speedo, emissions and data logging for the DIY tho
there are tool out there that make stealing tunes easy as cake, but that's not what i'm after. i want to lean
i was under the impression that EFI live you had to pay per vin to use..... that was my understanding when i was looking at it for my truck
NB_TDi said:
Profit.
Steps to being a tuner:
1. Keep all tuning information to ourselves
2. ???????????
3. Profit!!!!
We have a local tuner here that does Asian Imports. I asked to see his operation and work, I was denied and told I was just going to steal his ideas and methods. I was interested, but I'm not out to steal anything. Heck I got an email from a nameless person about my Digital Gauge. I was told to keep my programming and schematics to myself and not to share for the good of the industry.
Frankly I'm sick of hearing the same story.
Flame suit, Check.
very similar attitude i got, but when i got the email they were not nameless and VERY unprofessional
sorry i say that your digital guage and code is your intellectual property, design. if you want to share it then do!! in fact i'd love to see the design and finished product. do you have a link to it or video??
for the record i received a lot of flack for this in private messages that were again VERY unprofessional, it was a matter of reading the data sheets, not only that is a very basic thing you cover in college digial design.......... dual tunes. both have to be the same .bin file for on the fly switching 27c256-27c040 (256k-4Mb)

same thing just on 1 chip

thebigarniedog said:
Just some general observations and a question about this thread.
FROM WHAT THE OP HAS SAID IN THIS THREAD:
The OP is from the BMW world and claims to be a successful tuner there. He posits that tunes for BMWs go for $1200ish per tune. He post that he has sold his BMW and is looking to enter the VW tdi world to tune tdis.
reread, 1) still own my BMW, trying to sell it. 2) i want a TDI because i want a diesel for their monster torque, easy tuning, and killer fuel economy doing it the whole time :eek:
SOME GENERAL OBSERVATIONS
There are obviously a heck of a lot more BMWs floating around that can be tuned then vw tdis; The market commands a higher price (in the range of 4 times higher for a BMW tune then a tdi tune) per the OP's statement.
MY QUESTION:
So why would a successful BMW tuner give it all up and leave the BMW scene for the tdi one? Perhaps a call to Bullsh*t is necessary on this thread?
i never claimed to be a pro tuner, i have tuned my car and HELPED other tune theres with advise, looking at their .bin files, changing MAF tables, injector constants and load scales and gave it back to them to play with.
my current tune throw a red check engine light (2 light orange and red). the code says bad computer..... reason i dont know were the checksum is in that file. i think a pro tuner would...... your garage maverick mechanic might not ;)
con67 said:
Beware op, this guy - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=249512&highlight=diy+remap - was put in car and taken away never to be seen again lol
good thing i have have lots of guns and dont get into cars with strangers ;) (reading thread now)

HumboldtDiesel

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Yes, EFI live is $800 with 2 vins and a $100 a vin after that

I was just stating that as easy as EFI is to crack into the ECU and change things at will the good EFI tuners are very busy

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I can understand what the OP is trying to do.. and I hope he's successful. Maybe, just maybe he can bring the "entry fee" to DIY tuning further down so some of us can tweak our programs.

For example, I learned to tune my Impala SS and it cost me a TOTAL of $300 to play with my tune - $100 each for a cable, data logger and tuning software. On the flip side, I PAID a pro-tuner for my base tune which was pretty damn good but with any "canned" tunes, there's always room for improvement. Having the capabilities to tune allowed me to tweak the program at the track for MY car. And most of it was simple stuff - timing adjustments, playing with the shift tables as well as tuning for MPG, rescaling the MAF, gear ratio and tire size changes.

That being said, the DIY'ers should not give away someone elses tunes.

IanMH

TDI
'01 Jetta ALH TDI 5 spd ~207k PP768, T4s, Pelquin, .658 5th, 17/22 ~25psi, EJ SMIC, RC4+ '00 Jetta ALH TDI 5 spd ~217k PP520s, '06 BRM DSG RC1+ Stg2 Cam
Got Bearings? said:
I can understand what the OP is trying to do.. and I hope he's successful. Maybe, just maybe he can bring the "entry fee" to DIY tuning further down so some of us can tweak our programs.
For example, I learned to tune my Impala SS and it cost me a TOTAL of $300 to play with my tune - $100 each for a cable, data logger and tuning software. On the flip side, I PAID a pro-tuner for my base tune which was pretty damn good but with any "canned" tunes, there's always room for improvement. Having the capabilities to tune allowed me to tweak the program at the track for MY car. And most of it was simple stuff - timing adjustments, playing with the shift tables as well as tuning for MPG, rescaling the MAF, gear ratio and tire size changes.
That being said, the DIY'ers should not give away someone elses tunes.

+1!

And same situation here, with my Trans Am, except I built the cable and modified some (free) software for data logging. Dirt cheap tuning. Not as a good as a 'mail order' tune matching my mods, and no where close to as good as a dyno tune, but it did the job and leaned out the pig rich LT1 engine and gained me some power.

IanMH

TDI
'01 Jetta ALH TDI 5 spd ~207k PP768, T4s, Pelquin, .658 5th, 17/22 ~25psi, EJ SMIC, RC4+ '00 Jetta ALH TDI 5 spd ~217k PP520s, '06 BRM DSG RC1+ Stg2 Cam
thebigarniedog said:
Just some general observations and a question about this thread.

FROM WHAT THE OP HAS SAID IN THIS THREAD:

The OP is from the BMW world and claims to be a successful tuner there. He posits that tunes for BMWs go for $1200ish per tune. He post that he has sold his BMW and is looking to enter the VW tdi world to tune tdis.

SOME GENERAL OBSERVATIONS

There are obviously a heck of a lot more BMWs floating around that can be tuned then vw tdis; The market commands a higher price (in the range of 4 times higher for a BMW tune then a tdi tune) per the OP's statement.

MY QUESTION:

So why would a successful BMW tuner give it all up and leave the BMW scene for the tdi one? Perhaps a call to Bullsh*t is necessary on this thread?

Honestly...I'd like my 30 seconds back from reading this.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
where can i get a schematic for the EDC15V DME?
and a stock .BIN file?

dieseleux said:
I work on remplacement chip for MK3 ecu to program with USB cable!
I test some eprom emulator and is not easy to use on road!

Dieseleux
please do share

what emulator do you use?

dieseleux

Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor
TDI
Jetta TDI 02
keaton said:
Please do share

what emulator do you use?

I made this prototype (is paper print of 1:1 scale of pcb) to interface the PLCC32 with dauther board.
Is 40pin 50mil spacing connector between board.
I use MRAM for memory and usb to 16bit interface for programming.
Most of PLCC32 plug is too high to close box and run.
I do this mod for long terme tunning on my daily car.

I test Leap electronic WICE8MA without success presently (and WICE8MA dont run on my LPT laptop port!), i need time to put logic analyser on bus to see what happen.
Is good for fix tunning, is too big on road.

Dieseleux

Glow_plug

troll, alias account, banned
TDI
02 tdi
I thought forums were about learning??

I am on club gp aswell and EVERYONE over there is more than happy to freely share tuning "secrets"

why do you guys think your so special??

If you can learn to do it why cant the OP, or me or you cousin or grandpa for that matter.

Point is if you dont want to share then why are you part of a forum.

For the record all the smart comments are not needed.

Lets grow up a little.

I will be subcribing to this as I would like to see some economy tunes and what they could do for me>

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Glow_plug said:
I thought forums were about learning??

I am on club gp aswell and EVERYONE over there is more than happy to freely share tuning "secrets"

why do you guys think your so special??

If you can learn to do it why cant the OP, or me or you cousin or grandpa for that matter.

Point is if you dont want to share then why are you part of a forum.

For the record all the smart comments are not needed.

Lets grow up a little.

I will be subcribing to this as I would like to see some economy tunes and what they could do for me>

Speaking of special, you have been a member for TWO DAYS and this is only your fourth post. Sorry we don't meet your high standards.

Bill

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Post counts and time here doesn't determine someone's ability or knowledge. His points are just as valid if it came from someone that joined 5 years ago.

Glow_plug

troll, alias account, banned
TDI
02 tdi
Length of membership has nothing to do with it,
You guys have been acting like this guy is taking food off your tables
You regulars act like a bunch of trolls
Grow up or leave so the rest of us can learn

Thanks

Glow_plug

Back to the topic

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Glow_plug said:
Length of membership has nothing to do with it,
You guys have been acting like this guy is taking food off your tables
You regulars act like a bunch of trolls
Grow up or leave so the rest of us can learn

Thanks

Glow_plug

Back to the topic
I have posted no such thing. What are you talking about?

Bill

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Glow plug is recently banned member Overfuelin5sp.

Yesterday his location was VEpumpville or some such "clever" name.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
come on guys if you cant help contribute to the end goal (open DIY market) then please dont post

what processor is in the bosch EDC15V ECU?
does any one have a schematic for the?

for those that wanna help please post information, get WinOls, IDA Pro, and a .BIN file/hex dump and start poking around. this will only get done if the DIY'er back it

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
dieseleux said:
Most of bosch ecu use same processor family, is Infineon C166 and C167.
Post photo of processor chip.

Dieseleux
Who makes the processor? The Bosch DME in BMW's had an Intel 80196. So to disassemble the bin I had to pick that processor for opcode selection. ... same applies for these DMEs and bins.

resto1975

Veteran Member
TDI
T4 1.9tdi
The Infineon C166® synthesizable processors, namely the C166®V1 and C166®V2 cores, are derived from the successful C166® microcontroller family and are instruction set compatible. They are ideally suited to automotive, industrial, mass storage and wired or wireless communications applications, areas where the C166® is already successful. As a designed-for-the-purpose microcontroller, the C166®S offers better real time control performance than even 32bit, RISC processors. As a 16bit device it also offers a smaller and therefore more cost-effective footprint.

dieseleux

Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor
TDI
Jetta TDI 02
resto1975 said:
Sorry for the 'Cut and Paste' as Dieseleux post states Manfacturer is Infineon. ;-)
No offence, is very good description of Infineon processor!

C166 is very common processor, is not hard to find tool to work with C166.

Dieseleux

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I would love to be able to tweak the tune on my own ecu's... I have no intention of tuning other people's cars or selling/stealing tunes... It would be nice to have something similar to LS1edit to mess with mine since I'm always changing something and want to tweak the tune a little.. It's not exactly easy to change something when your tuner is not one of your neighbors...

I can tweak the tune in my truck very easily with open source software that was free and a cable/adapter that cost less than $100... My truck is completely stock except for a few added psi and slightly longer injection duration...

I'm still trying to figure a way to get a Megasquirt to work with a TDI.. It can do sequential EFI with distributorless ignition along with semi-automatic wideband afr target based tuning.. so I would think it could be adapted to work on a VE TDI, but maybe not...

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
TDIJetta99 said:
I would love to be able to tweak the tune on my own ecu's... I have no intention of tuning other people's cars or selling/stealing tunes... It would be nice to have something similar to LS1edit to mess with mine since I'm always changing something and want to tweak the tune a little.. It's not exactly easy to change something when your tuner is not one of your neighbors...

I can tweak the tune in my truck very easily with open source software that was free and a cable/adapter that cost less than $100... My truck is completely stock except for a few added psi and slightly longer injection duration...

I'm still trying to figure a way to get a Megasquirt to work with a TDI.. It can do sequential EFI with distributorless ignition along with semi-automatic wideband afr target based tuning.. so I would think it could be adapted to work on a VE TDI, but maybe not...
Ms will not work on a diesel .

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
TDIJetta99 said:

There have been rumors of Jeff making flash loaders available.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
TDIJetta99 said:
care to elaborate? Has anyone tried?
No, but there are some fundamental issues inherent in controlling a diesel engine, that Megasquirt in its current form does not address.

A gasoline engine with multipoint fuel injection has 2 independent but related pulse-output events that have to be controlled on each revolution. It has one output (to the ignition coil) for which the timing of the pulse is critical but the duration is not, and it has one output (to the fuel injector) for which the duration is important but the timing is not.

A diesel engine, whether P-D or common-rail, has a single pulse-output event (the injector) which is critical in both timing and duration. If you are talking about a common-rail engine, modern applications use multiple shots of fuel per injection cycle. Yeah, the engine will RUN if you give all the fuel in one shot, but it will sound like a '92 Dodge/Cummins (pre-electronic injection).

Furthermore, the electrical characteristics of a P-D or common-rail piezo injector are unlike those of gasoline injector solenoids or ignition coils.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible for a non-OEM engine controller to be developed. All I'm saying is that the current version of Megasquirt won't do it.