Grinding Noise

Evripos

TDI
VW Passat
I own a 2012 VW Passat Tdi SEL with 78,000 miles. The transmission fluid was last replaced at 65,000 miles. The car for quite some time has been making a grinding sound as I come to a stop. It is not the brakes because they are only ~ 2,000 miles old. It does not do it while the car is cold. It does get worse in stop and go conditions. My only solution so far has been to modulate the brake pedal and being very light on it. I drive as if I carry eggs about to break. If for any reason I hit the brakes the grinding sounds more like a vibration and it is a lot louder. Coming to a stop by having the transmission in neutral does nothing. The grinding noise is there. THe transmission shifts smoothly up and down. There are no jerks, clunks or any other symptoms I can point out. There are no codes.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on here?
Thank you.

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
I doubt it's the transmission. Do you have a video with the noise?

My thought is obviously something with the brakes- either they're not worn in properly, a dust shield is rubbing against a caliper, or something of that nature. I'd take it back to where you had the brakes done and have them give it another look to make sure something wasn't overlooked.

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
Warped disc, hub, bearing?

Brake disc protection plate?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Who replaced the brakes 2,000 miles ago? with what parts? look for scoring on the rotor surface front and back.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
It's possible the wheel(s) wasn't torqued properly causing a slight warp. If Goober gunned the lugs on that's the issue.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Okay, balancing weights on the inside of the OEM Alloy front wheels rubbed causing grinding sounds and they were solved by moving the weights to another location.

Everything but brakes associated:
Wheel bearings, axle rubbing because not properly torqued, ball joint or tie rod allowing the wheel to rub. Lift the culprit wheel off the ground and try to move back and forth, top to bottom and see if you have play. Take wheel off and look for signs of unusual wear.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk