[RNS-510] SD Card Error

rojovilla

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDi SEL Opera Red/Cornsilk Beige
I've posted this issue in the RNS-510 FW thread over the summer, but it never gained any traction (or reply for that matter). And at the expense of shelling out more money for additional SD cards to figure out what works and doesn't work, I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this issue. I receive this error quite frequently (every 2-4 days) and I'm at my wits end with this unit as much as I'm thoroughly enjoying my '13 Passat TDi SEL. The updated firmware provided by LokiWolf (thanks again Ray) has helped the unit overall, but this is still a nagging issue and didn't know if I should involve VWoA....

I'd like to know what everyone is using that's working flawlessly for them:
**Make/Brand (Sandisk, Samsung, Lexar, etc.), type of card (SD, miniSD, microSD, SDHC, SDXC, UHS-1, etc.), speed rating, and capacity.

Types of SD cards I've used thus far that have giving me the above error:
-Samsung microSDHC card (with different SD adapters), class 10, 32GB
-Samsung SDHC card, class 10 UHS-1, 32GB
-Lexar microSDHC card (with different SD adapters), class 10, 32GB

I've tried changing the file allocation size on all of these to see if it would help with RNS-510, but I'm still getting the error.

Also, this mostly happens when starting the car back up to go somewhere. It will continue to play whatever song was loaded into memory, but the error message will appear. I have to eject, and then reinsert to get it back going again.

I will also mention that I thought maybe dust was a problem, but have cleaned out the slot several times with compressed air.

Any and all suggestions/comments/posts would appreciated! Thanks in advance :D

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
I know that a few people over in Europe have gotten their NAV headunit replaced due to SD readers going bad... is it throwing any VAG/VAS/VCDS codes?
Also if enabled go to: TESTMODE>SYSTEM>RESET COUNTER
to enable testmode go to 37-navigation then to adaption then to development test mode set parameter in VCDS to 1 enabled then restart RNS-510 via 3 finger salute
then HOLD setup in first it will go to setup at the 15 second mark then enter testmode at the 30 second mark
this will show internal NON VW faults in the system
hope that helps
Matt

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
What Matt suggested is spot on. You most likely have a bad SD slot. I have used atleast 10 different SD cards with mine with no issue. Most are formatted FAT32, some FAT. All using the default allocation size. Most are Sandisk, and most are Class 10. A Lexar, and Transcend that are not class 10 are in my regular rotation.

A few things to try. When formatting them, make sure you are not doing a quick format. Do a regular full format, and name the card. It will take a while on a 32GB. also, do it from more than one PC/Mac. Might be that what you are copying from might be the issue.

Good Luck!

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
I've noticed an occasional sd card error. Just pop it out and back in and it clears. Always on startup of car. It does seem to have started after doing the FW upgrades, but could be purely coincidental. I usually just listen to stuff on the hdd, and leave the card in place to plug the slot. Using a sandisk 16 Gb micro in a holder. Left overs from an old cell phone.

rojovilla

TDI
I know that a few people over in Europe have gotten their NAV headunit replaced due to SD readers going bad... is it throwing any VAG/VAS/VCDS codes?
Also if enabled go to: TESTMODE>SYSTEM>RESET COUNTER
to enable testmode go to 37-navigation then to adaption then to development test mode set parameter in VCDS to 1 enabled then restart RNS-510 via 3 finger salute
then HOLD setup in first it will go to setup at the 15 second mark then enter testmode at the 30 second mark
this will show internal NON VW faults in the system
hope that helps
Matt
Matt, thanks. I will try and give that a shot.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

rojovilla

TDI
What Matt suggested is spot on. You most likely have a bad SD slot. I have used atleast 10 different SD cards with mine with no issue. Most are formatted FAT32, some FAT. All using the default allocation size. Most are Sandisk, and most are Class 10. A Lexar, and Transcend that are not class 10 are in my regular rotation.

A few things to try. When formatting them, make sure you are not doing a quick format. Do a regular full format, and name the card. It will take a while on a 32GB. also, do it from more than one PC/Mac. Might be that what you are copying from might be the issue.

Good Luck!
Thanks, but rarely do quick formatting. I'm a firm believer in low level formatting when available. I label all my drives :D Also, I have formatted on two different PC's as well as a couple of my Linux boxes. So, I can rule that stuff out.

rojovilla

TDI
I've noticed an occasional sd card error. Just pop it out and back in and it clears. Always on startup of car. It does seem to have started after doing the FW upgrades, but could be purely coincidental. I usually just listen to stuff on the hdd, and leave the card in place to plug the slot. Using a sandisk 16 Gb micro in a holder. Left overs from an old cell phone.
And Norm, I was about to say that I thought it might have started when I upgraded the firmware, but I can honestly say that I can't be certain of that as I have slept since then :D

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks, but rarely do quick formatting. I'm a firm believer in low level formatting when available. I label all my drives :D Also, I have formatted on two different PC's as well as a couple of my Linux boxes. So, I can rule that stuff out.

I figured that, but had to be sure! You know what assuming gets us.

Still leaning towards the SD slot.

rojovilla

TDI
I figured that, but had to be sure! You know what assuming gets us.

Still leaning towards the SD slot.
Well at the very least I can try Matt's suggestion. Then, if all else fails, ask for a replacement :D

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
I get "SD Card Error. Please Check SD Card" when I tried using a 64gb SDXC card. Here is the specs. This card would not work regardless of how I formatted it
Brand SanDisk
Family Line Extreme Pro
Form Factor SDXC UHS-I
Memory Capacity 64 GB
Speed Class Rating Class 10
Read Speed 95MB/s
Write Speed Up to 90MB/s

I am currently using a 16gb SDHC which has no problems at all

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
It has been said multiple times on here, and it even says it in the manual I believe. The RNS510 does NOT support SDXC cards, it only supports up to SDHC, which means the max is 32GB.

Because of the RNS510's limit in folders/files, going over 32GB, doesn't gain you much.

rojovilla

TDI
Well, after nearly 200 errors, and the dealership not able to reproduce it with any of my cards, I finally got it to them while the error was on the screen. New RNS-510 coming my way! Took long enough!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Don't expect much from a new one. I had mine replaced and I still get SD errors.
Yeah, the newer units with the SSD and different controller seem to have more issues with the SD Cards. Maybe a firmware flash will help that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Hoping so. When I had my K unit replaced it was replaced with a K unit. Maybe some drivers with L units can chime in and see if they are experiencing any SD issues?

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
You have an SE, therefore an RCD510, not RNS510. It is made by a different manufacturer(Can't remember off the top of my head who). It has different software, and most likely, different hardware.
delphi is the us spec manufacturer while Bosch and blaupunkt make non US spec versions

rojovilla

TDI
Scheduled for new RNS-510 installation manana! Keep you all posted!

Actually had to postpone the installation until Monday due to work, but will keep everyone posted. Have a great weekend!

rojovilla

TDI
So far so good. I just put a SD card in two days ago for the first time and seems fine. A little disappointed that they didn't give me a newer RNS, but it's working. Will post back here if anything wonky occurs.

rojovilla

TDI
Alrighty, just had my first error yesterday on one of my cards. Putting together a couple more cards to see if this unit is bunk as well. Still troubled as to why VW wouldn't furnish me a replacement unit that had all the latest and greatest advancements (HW, SW, SSD, and of course maps).