What 5 or 6 Speed Manual for 2005 Passat TDI Auto?

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
I am just wondering what manual transmission is good for a swap for the factory automatic when and if the time comes? 5 speed or 6 speed, and is factory VW the way to go or is some other aftermarket brand better?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
If you want to keep the whole conversion under $2k, go with a Euro TDI FHN 5sp. If you want to spend $4k or more of course a 6sp would be better. Do some searches on here. Lots of conversions have been done with both.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
My 6 speed was on the road for under $2K.
Really-you must have got a good deal on it or it's a low geared gasser 6sp. Did you have a donor car with all the peripherals laying arround? My FHN was right at $1000 itself. Is it a TDI 6sp? My FHN is 2.36:1 overall including R&P in 5th which pretty much duplicates the DSG. What is your overall 6th ratio and and tranny code? The best deal I could get from Frans in the Netherlands for a TDI 6sp was arround $2500 for the tranny alone. Have they come down in price? Let's don't mislead the OP.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Uberhare and I got our transmissions from the same source, Both mine and his are TDI geared, I can't recall his transmission code, mine is an FRF from a 2.5TDI V6.

$2500 for the transmission better have been rebuilt.

They go for much less than $2500 with a little searching on EBay UK:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A4-B...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4185428d5e

If you are patient, there are deals out there.

That said, there are apparently a good chunk of 01E 6-speeds which suffer from a bad diff pinion bearing. If you buy one, there is a good chance you may have to deal with that issue.

Mine is just starting to show symptoms... :(

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Just as a reference, my FHN was $710, came from the same source as the other two Canadian's 6-speed.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
After selling my autotragic, then buying a performance clutch (still to be installed) I still have just under $2K into it. It is a proper TDI gear trans, but not the super tall one.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After selling my autotragic, then buying a performance clutch (still to be installed) I still have just under $2K into it. It is a proper TDI gear trans, but not the super tall one.
Can you elaborate on the gearing especially overall in 6th? Most of the potential converters really need specs,sources, acvailability and prices, not folks' unique great 6speed deals that are hard to repeat and not 6speeds that need further mods. These are tough enough conversions even with plug and play trannys like the FHN 5sp. If I'm hearing right here, 6speeds should be avoided unless one is willing to go through a lot more effort as well as expense.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Its a not a fair comparison if you include the sale of a good automatic transmission into the conversion cost. Most conversions will happen because the automatic has kicked the bucket.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I think it's perfectly fair. It was planned when I chose to buy the car! I would have paid much less for one with a dead transmission.

GVS is the code on mine. Overall ratio is similar to the slushbox, but I gained significantly on the fuel economy.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Its a not a fair comparison if you include the sale of a good automatic transmission into the conversion cost. Most conversions will happen because the automatic has kicked the bucket.
Ditto imo000. Most guys for sure are starting with a puked GMR.
Uberhare, I have an extensive German list of 5 and 6 sp trannies and GVS is not on it. Again, can you provide technical data,price and availability as well as original application of this 6sp or do you prefer it to remain a mystery?

Last edited:

Frans

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Golf MK2 TDI
Ditto imo000. Most guys for sure are starting with a puked GMR.
Uberhare, I have an extensive German list of 5 and 6 sp trannies and GVS is not on it. Again, can you provide technical data,price and availability as well as original application of this 6sp or do you prefer it to remain a mystery?

The GVS is a not very common 6 speed for the 1.9 TDI. Most 1.9TDI's are using the FRK.

There are several options regarding replacing the auto trans

FHN/GGB is the "longest" ratio available in 5 speed. The 2nd "longest" 5 speed is the DUK.

If you want a really long ratio you need the DQS, 6 speed.

The 6 speeds 01E do suffer from differential/pignon bearing failures. That's why we only sell rebuild/modified ones.

Frans

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Golf MK2 TDI
Really-you must have got a good deal on it or it's a low geared gasser 6sp. Did you have a donor car with all the peripherals laying arround? My FHN was right at $1000 itself. Is it a TDI 6sp? My FHN is 2.36:1 overall including R&P in 5th which pretty much duplicates the DSG. What is your overall 6th ratio and and tranny code? The best deal I could get from Frans in the Netherlands for a TDI 6sp was arround $2500 for the tranny alone. Have they come down in price? Let's don't mislead the OP.
I can't remember I quoted you $2500. Current price is about $1600 shipped US for a full rebuild one.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks Frans. Your quote does sound right. What would the DQS cost with the shifter as we would have to source one anyways? (PM me if you prefer to do your quotes offline). With a 2.15 overall ratio in 6th, that would be my choice for interstate driving in the US. Anyone reading this thread, I did get my FHN from Frans and the whole transaction went seamless along with Fedex delivery to my door. There's a tarif involved too. I think it was about $60.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think it's perfectly fair. It was planned when I chose to buy the car! I would have paid much less for one with a dead transmission.

GVS is the code on mine. Overall ratio is similar to the slushbox, but I gained significantly on the fuel economy.
Well in that case, I paid $2K for my car with a dead transmission (if wouldn't go up a normal driveway. The conversion with the ECU reflash came in at $1600. So for $3600 i have an '05 with an FHN 5-speed and a car that has 255K km. :)

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
$1600 including clutch,flywheel,slave,shifter,pedals, v6 mount,axles,tune,FHN,fluid? Not to mention labor! Are your suppliers giving you stuff? Must have a bunch of required peripherals on the shelf, huh?

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Uberhare, Imo000 and I all did the conversions ourselves. a little frugality and searching goes a long way to keeping the costs down.

However, not having to pay directly for any labor was probably the biggest saving for each of us. :D

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
About 70% of the FWD 01E's I sell to the kit car crowd have bad pinion bearings. So that $750 01E you buy on ebay may need a $300 pinion bearing and trans shops charge about $300-$500 to replace it.

rocketboy52

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
I have an extensive German list of 5 and 6 sp trannies and GVS is not on it. Again, can you provide technical data,price and availability as well as original application of this 6sp or do you prefer it to remain a mystery?
Can you attach or share this list in someway? I'm trying to consider all options for the manual Swap...I'd love to get my hands on that list!