Balance Shaft Upgrade Shops

Arch

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Jamie,

My oil pump chain failed this week. I shut off the engine before any catastrophic damage, and am getting the geared module installed this week by Import Auto. Did you ever get yours done?

Arch.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Jamie,
My oil pump chain failed this week. I shut off the engine before any catastrophic damage, and am getting the geared module installed this week by Import Auto. Did you ever get yours done?
Arch.
How may km's on the car? Ours was replaced pro-actively at 181k km and the chain and tensioner still looked good; the car now has 265k and the engine runs fine though I'm not so sure about the transmission. Fingers and toes crossed on that one. Not sure if we'll keep the car if that fails. Maybe manual conversion if we do. A/C no longer works, another set of CV joints going south and minor PS fluid leak. But it's no longer a daily driver, just the family winter beater. I've had two front doors, two front fenders and the trunk lid replaced under the VW corrosion warranty; I'm guessing rust is less of a problem in dryer Saskatoon than it is in Quebec.

Arch

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Mike,

It has about 170,000 km. Upon closer inspection, it was the tensioner that failed, not the chain. The loose chain wore down all the teeth on its gear, and that was what caused the oil pressure light to go off.

Oilhammer and other posters: thanks for all the information here. I sat on the fence for two years before my oil pump failed, but I knew from reading this forum to shut off the engine ASAP when the warning light went off, and I think that's what saved my engine from worse damage.

Arch

Last edited:

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
Finally had gear drive upgrade done at 149000 miles.
Old chain and tensioners appeared in good shape despite the miles.
The kit came from Bora Bora and had the wrong seal the wrong air filter and wrong cab filter. The work was performed by Specialty Automotive in Innisfail, Alberta, Canada.
It was their first time to do the upgrade on a passat. Not sure if it has been mentioned before here but the shaft assembly came with gear pre installed which appears torqued down but isn't.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The kit came from Bora Bora and had the wrong seal the wrong air filter and wrong cab filter. The work was performed by Specialty Automotive in Innisfail, Alberta, Canada.
It was their first time to do the upgrade on a passat. Not sure if it has been mentioned before here but the shaft assembly came with gear pre installed which appears torqued down but isn't.
Correct. And that is why that is stated clearly in the instructions.

Fasteddie10

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2-2005 Passat Wagon TDIs, 2-2004 Passat Wagon TDIs
So how much have you paid for labor and how much for parts
Sorry, did not notice a question for me here. :(
Price from Dell's was $1800.:D That was labor including $249 for a rebuilt torque converter from ZF and antifreeze. I purchased the other parts from IDParts, deluxe timing belt kit and BSM delete kit. I also provided Amsoil Trans fluid, Schaeffer 9000 5W40, and MANN filters.

Ed

xphillips

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI
Can you suggest B Shaft technicians in Roanoke, Lynchburg, Covington, Lexington, wytheville, Harrisonburg, Blacksburg, or Charlottesville, VA? (This is the southwestern valley section of va, over to the piedmont area, but not as far as FAR-south western cumberland plateau area of va.)

Posting this for anyone who is looking for someone in their area to do the balance shaft gear drive upgrade to their 2004/2005 BHW Passat TDI. I get a lot of calls, emails, PMs, etc. from all over, and while I love to have visitors from all over and welcome everyone, I know it is not always easy nor realistic for someone to visit Missouri from far away. Also, these folks would be good sources for normal PM, as many of the 'gurus' here for whatever reason seem to be frightened to death of B5s. I have no idea why, but...

I will update this list in this first post, please PM me if you would like to be added to the list with any contact info you want posted.

Midwest:

Car-Doc Automotive, Inc. (St. Louis, MO)
www.cardocautomotive.com

CoolAirVW (Kansas City, MO)
www.kansascityTDI.com
coolairvw@aol.com

Anuthee Huffstetter
Golden, CO
www.dieselland.net

Marty:
www.martinbergelllc.com

East/Northeast:

JA Autowerks LLC
193 Newman Springs Rd.
Shrewsbury, NJ 07702
(732) 691-2335
http://www.jaautowerks.com/

hevster1 (New Jersey)
hevster1@yahoo.com

TDIJetta99 (Port Jervis, NY)
tdijetta99@gmail.com

k harley
KMH Motors (North Chelmsford, MA)
Keith Harley
ph: 978.766.9151
www.kmhmotors.com

Mair's Continental Motors
1455 Friedensburg Rd
Reading PA 19606
610-779-3555 Contact Jeff Baird or Rolf Mair
website www.mairscontinentalmotors.com

Mike McCann
Aka 94x
Westhampton MA
413-455-5602
TdiMike@comcast.net

Northwest:

fixumrich (Portland, OR)
Fix um haus
www.fixumhaus.com

Southeast:

VWSHPFRMN (Coconut Creek, FL)
www.gunthervw.net
ph: 954.590.3806

German Performance Auto
1227 Lebanon Pike
Nashville, TN 37210
gpotuning@gmail.com
615-248-9466

Jeff Spitzer (vwztips)
Greenville, SC
864-609-9246
jaspitzer@charter.net

Southwest/SoCal:

Harvieux (Whittier, CA)
Wild Rose Motors, Ltd.
www.vwtdionly.com

South:

runonbeer (Austin, TX)
Robby Plenge
www.runonbeer.com

mtbr297 (Fort Worth, TX)
Steve Glover
ph: 817.915.4063

Digi Sport Performance
110a Rose Lane
Suite 104
Frisco, TX 75034
214-257-8221

Canada:

VDUBTECH (Toronto)
Brandon Pilkey
DCB Auto Repairs

Ability Auto
Pickering, ON, Canada
1016 Brock Rd Unit #2
416-520-4870

xphillips

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI
Balance Shaft technicians in s west or piedmont of virginia?

Such as Roanoke, Lynchburg, charlottesville, Lexington, Staunton, Covington, Harrisonburg, etc.

Posting this for anyone who is looking for someone in their area to do the balance shaft gear drive upgrade to their 2004/2005 BHW Passat TDI. I get a lot of calls, emails, PMs, etc. from all over, and while I love to have visitors from all over and welcome everyone, I know it is not always easy nor realistic for someone to visit Missouri from far away. Also, these folks would be good sources for normal PM, as many of the 'gurus' here for whatever reason seem to be frightened to death of B5s. I have no idea why, but...

I will update this list in this first post, please PM me if you would like to be added to the list with any contact info you want posted.

Midwest:

Car-Doc Automotive, Inc. (St. Louis, MO)
www.cardocautomotive.com

CoolAirVW (Kansas City, MO)
www.kansascityTDI.com
coolairvw@aol.com

Anuthee Huffstetter
Golden, CO
www.dieselland.net

Marty:
www.martinbergelllc.com

East/Northeast:

JA Autowerks LLC
193 Newman Springs Rd.
Shrewsbury, NJ 07702
(732) 691-2335
http://www.jaautowerks.com/

hevster1 (New Jersey)
hevster1@yahoo.com

TDIJetta99 (Port Jervis, NY)
tdijetta99@gmail.com

k harley
KMH Motors (North Chelmsford, MA)
Keith Harley
ph: 978.766.9151
www.kmhmotors.com

Mair's Continental Motors
1455 Friedensburg Rd
Reading PA 19606
610-779-3555 Contact Jeff Baird or Rolf Mair
website www.mairscontinentalmotors.com

Mike McCann
Aka 94x
Westhampton MA
413-455-5602
TdiMike@comcast.net

Northwest:

fixumrich (Portland, OR)
Fix um haus
www.fixumhaus.com

Southeast:

VWSHPFRMN (Coconut Creek, FL)
www.gunthervw.net
ph: 954.590.3806

German Performance Auto
1227 Lebanon Pike
Nashville, TN 37210
gpotuning@gmail.com
615-248-9466

Jeff Spitzer (vwztips)
Greenville, SC
864-609-9246
jaspitzer@charter.net

Southwest/SoCal:

Harvieux (Whittier, CA)
Wild Rose Motors, Ltd.
www.vwtdionly.com

South:

runonbeer (Austin, TX)
Robby Plenge
www.runonbeer.com

mtbr297 (Fort Worth, TX)
Steve Glover
ph: 817.915.4063

Digi Sport Performance
110a Rose Lane
Suite 104
Frisco, TX 75034
214-257-8221

Canada:

VDUBTECH (Toronto)
Brandon Pilkey
DCB Auto Repairs

Ability Auto
Pickering, ON, Canada
1016 Brock Rd Unit #2
416-520-4870

xphillips

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI
Chain for oil pump did produce metal filings though

I had to do the oil pump conversion over to gear driven after only 80k mi because of the above getting down in crank case and the bad slackness. I guess it is under designed for the weight of the BShaft?
Also what do you think is a reasonable price on the parts to the conversion kit, with the little pump itself being the main component? xphillips

It is a chain, same as the non-balanced engines (alh, bew, brm). Without the load of the balance shaft the chain typically lasts 500000+km. I have never seen one wear out.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Correct. And that is why that is stated clearly in the instructions.

Getting my BHW done today (@166k :eek:). Perfect documented dealer maintanance record from past owner, guess I dodged a bullet, hope there is no issue with Bora deluxe kit?

Thanks oilhammer for the input and writeup.

Fasteddie10

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 VW TDI BSM Delete

Sorry, did not notice a question for me here. :(
Price from Dell's was $1800.:D That was labor including $249 for a rebuilt torque converter from ZF and antifreeze. I purchased the other parts from IDParts, deluxe timing belt kit and BSM delete kit. I also provided Amsoil Trans fluid, Schaeffer 9000 5W40, and MANN filters.

Ed
Last week I had my 2004 Passat delete kit installed by 41 Auto in Oconto WI, they did a good job for much less $. Labor was $800 including a transmission flush.

The BSM chain and gears were in good shape! 182k miles on it too.

Last edited:

bubba

TDI
2005 Passat
I am having a hard time finding someone I feel comfortable with (or a mechanic who is confident) regarding the balance shaft module installation or deletion. I have spoken with Chris @ autowerkstat in San Jose a couple of times. I met with him on Monday about the BS delete option and he was veeeeery veeeery skeptical. I think he is a good mechanic but doesn't want to be responsible for a fix option not authorized/sanctioned by VW. I would like to address this issue before my extended warranty (VW Real Driver) expires the end of September. I am leaning toward getting rid of the car at this point.

Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well if you are going to try and hang the job on an extended warranty, then they'd decide what to do, and they likely won't do anything not authorized by Volkswagen. That said, getting Volkswagen dealers to acknowledge the problem even exists can sometimes be an issue.

Not sure why you'd get rid of the car for this, though. Mine has been great, nearing 90k miles since going chainless!

bubba

TDI
2005 Passat
I appreciate your response and expertise oil hammer. If I had a local mechanic that was competent I would have it done. I don't particularly want to have it done long distance in case something goes wrong after the procedure and have no recourse.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Doesn't Matt98-ahu work for Royal Motors in San Francisco? Perhaps he'd be able to do a BSM service that would meet with the approval of your warranty company.

Yuri[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Well if you are going to try and hang the job on an extended warranty, then they'd decide what to do, and they likely won't do anything not authorized by Volkswagen. That said, getting Volkswagen dealers to acknowledge the problem even exists can sometimes be an issue.
Not sure why you'd get rid of the car for this, though. Mine has been great, nearing 90k miles since going chainless!
Ours has gone 90k km since going chainless. Since then mostly "old-car" stuff. Most recently, just had a leaking PS pump and hose replaced. Found a good local garage to do it (no point paying $105/hr labour rates on a 10 y.o. car with 270k km on it). Really eclectic place. The guy used to be, of all things, a British Leyland dealer and anybody with a vintage British car in the area goes to him. An eclectic yard full of Rovers, Triumphs, Jags, MGs. But he's also a TDI fan and has a ton of those too, mostly ALHs, and come to think of it a few Mercs and other European cars.

I really do have to get it back to the dealer for another rust warranty job though, this time rear fenders and right rear door.

Fasteddie10

Veteran Member
TDI
BSM Deleted

I had my 2004 Passat TDI BSM deleted by 41 Auto in Oconto WI. I had the change the timing belt and related components along with the new BRM oil pump. They also flushed the fluid and replaced the filter in the transmission, I had them put in the Amsoil Trans Fluid. $700 labor with a few odds and ends. Nice people to work with!:)

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
I don't particularly want to have it done long distance in case something goes wrong after the procedure and have no recourse.
But that's the beauty of a competent mechanic & a VW. If done correctly then there is very little chance of something going wrong. I say drive it to St Louis & then back home for a long happy motoring life. :)

bubba

TDI
2005 Passat
BSM Shop San Jose CA

I had the BSM (05 Passat, 87k) done a few weeks ago at Autowerkstat in San Jose CA. He also replaced the water pump, motor and trans. mounts, thermostat, timing belt, aux. belts, renewed brake fluid, coolant, oil & filter... $4700. This is an independent shop and Chris the owner does the work with the assistance of one tech. He is very meticulous, and has a great reputation. He had done a few BSM units previous. I went out of my way to drive up from Monterey because I knew he would do a thorough job. I can recommend him. The car is cherry and feel it is worth the investment. I am looking forward to a few more hundred thousand miles of burnin oil. http://www.autowerkstat.com

goody705

TDI
'05 Passat TDI Wagon
BSM Shop - Ottawa, ON Area

I had the BSM-Delete done a few weeks ago, along with motor mounts, TB and assorted bits, Malone Stage 1 Tune and some other small work that was required by Volk Haus Auto in Carp/Stittsville, ON about 20 minutes outside Ottawa.
Marek was great to deal with considering I live 4 hours North and had no local options. He gave me a price over e-mail, then I had a friend drop the car off to him on a Sunday night at home and he kept me posted over the week by email/phone on progress and any small issues that came up.
Picked me up when i got into town, gave me a once over on the car and any little issues they picked up on.
It runs great now, and i'll definitely be bringing him work in the future, and would recommend giving them a look if you're in Eastern Ontario.
volkhausauto@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Volkhaus-Auto/105979149577253

usedvolvoboy

TDI
'05 Passat GLS
BSM Delete update

I had my BSM delete performed by Keith Harley of KMH motors in Lowell, MA in mid Jan. 2013. Since then we've put about 35K miles on it and still running great.
It was his first BSMD and he did a very meticulous job. Maybe a tad more vibration than with the BS, but nothing that makes a difference.

Since then the cam gave up at about 130K, replaced that with stock "improved" cam, for whatever that's worth. If it hadn't been a rush job, I would have gotten a cam from Franko6, but I'm sure I'll be putting another in...

RickyHus

TDI
Chainless 05 passat tdi wagon auto, 05.5 jetta tdi
I bought used BSM from Whitebread the guy from Michigan for $700, my car 05 Wagon had at that time 192000, done it in Chicago by WV technician at his garage, he installed new timing belt water pump all tensioners and belts, motor and transs mouths. so I paid to him 1200 plus BSM with all new bolts from Whitebread 700, now 20,000 miles after that my turbo is going in limp mode any time I would push it more then 3000 rpm and one of the axels stared to make noise by the way where I should order axle from, as a BSM no problem so far, selling the car for 6000, 209 k miles, just done new glow plugs by dealer as software update, last year was able to outside parked to start on -17 F in chicago with old glow plugs so can you imagine now, also have viper alarm starter on itas iphone adapter or module, check it out http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4763728358.html

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
This is not a for sale thread...I had mine done by the dealer under warranty about 60k miles ago. Still running fine.

alfissimo

TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
Independent Automotive
3800 N. 7th St
Phoenix, AZ 85014
(602) 234-9783

I had my 05 BHW unchained during my timing belt service after seeing some positive tdi reviews on yelp and kudzu. Steven and his staff are the somewhat rare honest & competent tdi shop.
So you had the upgrade done? How is it so far? There is no one in AZ that does this as far as I know. If these guys can and do it well. I will take it here or I will drive back to Diesel Land in CO and have Anuthee do it. What was your cost?

am-radio

TDI
None, but looking
I'm new here and am thinking about a TDI. I like the passat wagons. I've been scared about the TDI with the factory chain. It seems everyone says it will eventually fail. I've looked locally and not one car has gone chainless. These cars are 10 - 12 years old now and many have close to 300,000 km (185,000 miles). If these cars have made it this long factory, will they continue on for another 100,000 miles? What percentage of cars have actually had the chain fail?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I'm new here and am thinking about a TDI. I like the passat wagons. I've been scared about the TDI with the factory chain. It seems everyone says it will eventually fail. I've looked locally and not one car has gone chainless. These cars are 10 - 12 years old now and many have close to 300,000 km (185,000 miles). If these cars have made it this long factory, will they continue on for another 100,000 miles? What percentage of cars have actually had the chain fail?
Welcome to the TDI-Club!!

Just making sure that you're aware that we're only discussing the 2004/5 Passat TDIs in this thread... There's no similar problem with the other models and years.

Yuri

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Not really a matter of if but when and 200k is about the max from my experience. Tensioners usually crack or break, chain gets loose, etc. It may not be a catastrophic failure right away but it will eventually if not addressed. BTW go delete.

am-radio

TDI
None, but looking
Welcome to the TDI-Club!!

Just making sure that you're aware that we're only discussing the 2004/5 Passat TDIs in this thread... There's no similar problem with the other models and years.

Yuri
Yes I am aware. Thanks. I like the wagon, but it's not available in a diesel in newer models.