Reversing camera retrofit?

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
I'm thinking of retrofitting a RVC on our mk7 Golf, I noticed that there are two types of OEM cameras available, Lowline and Highline. Can I use which ever or do they reguire different head units to work?

I haven't checked if our Composition Media is compatible with the OEM camera yet, but if it is, should I get the low- or Highline?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
You can fit either one. The highline camera has can bus wiring and is capable of showing the turning lines as you back up. But it also has to be calibrated for those lines to be accurate. I have the lowline retro fit in my car. There is a thread over on golfmk7 about retrofitting the highline and the people that have done it, even those that got it working, say to just retrofit the lowline camera. Others couldn't get it working properly and just coded it as a low line camera anyway.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
You can fit either one. The highline camera has can bus wiring and is capable of showing the turning lines as you back up. But it also has to be calibrated for those lines to be accurate. I have the lowline retro fit in my car. There is a thread over on golfmk7 about retrofitting the highline and the people that have done it, even those that got it working, say to just retrofit the lowline camera. Others couldn't get it working properly and just coded it as a low line camera anyway.

Good to know. How easy or hard was it to retrofit the camera? I know the coding will be pretty straight forward.

Last edited:

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI

Thanks! Turns out we have a 5G0035819A head unit which isn't compatible with the camera. Oh well :D

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
This is a perfect opportunity to spend the money you had not planned on spending by retrofitting MIB 2... giving you AA/CarPlay in addition to allowing you to spend money on a reverse camera, haha.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
This is a perfect opportunity to spend the money you had not planned on spending by retrofitting MIB 2... giving you AA/CarPlay in addition to allowing you to spend money on a reverse camera, haha.

Looked into that, I think I'll pass :D