Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Karl640502 said:
European prices are about a euro per litre at best (varies from 0,84 to 1,20), so about $5,67 per US gal.
So, when in Europe, bring your own diesel. Yes, it's heavily taxed.
you pay less for other life necesities in europe

D2 price is 2.60 in DE , seen it as high as $ 3.99 in PA

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
rotarykid said:
On the drive from Denver to S.CAL , St. George & Richfield UT are the cheapest place to fill on the drive . Everywhere south & west of there is .20-.50 a gal more expensive for gas & diesel .
I prefer St George -- it is about 800 miles from Julesburg on the NE-CO border, and I can just make it on one tank of fuel. Plus there are more truck stops in St George, so I think the fuel prices are more competitive.

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
TornadoRed said:
Gila Bend is probably even cheaper -- anyone traveling west toward California, that is your last chance to get reasonably-priced fuel.
Isn't there a Love's and a Flying J in Gila Bend?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Yep, diesel has gone up around here anywhere from .14 to .20 a gallon in the past week.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
boutmuet said:
Isn't there a Love's and a Flying J in Gila Bend?
Just a Love's. If you're headed toward Phoenix, then you turn off I-8 at Gila Bend and take Hwy 85 north to I-10, and there is a Flying J on the west side of Phoenix. Sometimes Flying J is cheaper, sometimes Love's is cheaper.

Yuma has lots of truck stops and other stations, but prices are a little higher. Still cheaper than California, though.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Station close to my house jumped .20 in one day. They did it in two different jumps, so the pain increased somewhat gradually. I was out of town for the weekend, and I see that gas jumped up quite a bit, too. Most of the stations around my area have gas at $2.65-2.69 and diesel at $2.75-2.79. I sure hope we do get the warm winter they're predicting for this year.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
lovemybug said:
Station close to my house jumped .20 in one day. They did it in two different jumps, so the pain increased somewhat gradually. I was out of town for the weekend, and I see that gas jumped up quite a bit, too. Most of the stations around my area have gas at $2.65-2.69 and diesel at $2.75-2.79. I sure hope we do get the warm winter they're predicting for this year.
I thought it was weird, too, that the stations raised prices early Friday and then again late Friday or maybe it was Saturday. Prices had been very stable since early summer, but when crude soared past $75 and then settled above $78 I knew that both gasoline and diesel were headed higher.

The gasoline is around $2.50, up from around $2.30 about 7-10 days ago. Diesel is not up quite that much, from around $2.60 to about $2.70-2.75. I could have filled up for $2.66 today, or $2.71 for premium diesel. But I was just out for a drive, warming the engine in preparation for an oil change. I probably should have topped up.

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
TornadoRed said:
Just a Love's. If you're headed toward Phoenix, then you turn off I-8 at Gila Bend and take Hwy 85 north to I-10, and there is a Flying J on the west side of Phoenix. Sometimes Flying J is cheaper, sometimes Love's is cheaper.

Yuma has lots of truck stops and other stations, but prices are a little higher. Still cheaper than California, though.
Sorry to ask again but I am taking a road trip next summer and am coming back from Dallas via the 10 freeway coming through Phoenix. Is Phoenix my last place to get cheap fuel before California or is it better to wait until I get into a little more rural area past Phoenix?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
boutmuet said:
Sorry to ask again but I am taking a road trip next summer and am coming back from Dallas via the 10 freeway coming through Phoenix. Is Phoenix my last place to get cheap fuel before California or is it better to wait until I get into a little more rural area past Phoenix?
I always jumped over to I-8 which took me straight into San Diego. I know I've driven I-10 all the way from Phoenix to San Bernardino, but it's been many, many years. So someone from Arizona or someone who travels that route will have to answer. My guess is that the Flying J on the west side of Phoenix is about as cheap as you will find along that route.

Note that one big reason why Arizona fuel is cheaper than California fuel, besides different tax rates, is that much of Arizona is supplied by a pipeline from West Texas, from El Paso to Tucson and possibly Phoenix. So the further west you go, the further it will be from the pipeline terminal. So there is no reason for fuel to get cheaper as you go west from Phoenix.

And there is nothing out there, between Buckeye and Blythe. except the bones of 19th- and 20th-century travelers who failed to adequately prepare for a trip across such an expanse of nothingness.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Filled up today for $2.59 per gallon at the Gallop Marathon Station on US 20 west of Michigan City (IN) -- "in da Region".

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
Filled up at Chevron in Lake Forest, CA for $2.959.. awful. I hear prices are going to be going down in a few weeks though.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
boutmuet said:
Filled up at Chevron in Lake Forest, CA for $2.959.. awful. I hear prices are going to be going down in a few weeks though.
That would be a false report and a false assumption -- the world has plenty of oil but it has an even greater abundance of dollars, so oil and oil products will keep going up until the US government adopts a different policy irt the dollar.

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
TornadoRed said:
That would be a false report and a false assumption -- the world has plenty of oil but it has an even greater abundance of dollars, so oil and oil products will keep going up until the US government adopts a different policy irt the dollar.
I don't want to get into politics because of board rules but crude levels are at its highest since August and expected to increase because of falling demand. I anecdotally expect demand to decrease even more as prices rise eventually in the coming weeks lowering the cost per barrel given the amount of supply. Even with an extremely weak dollar the cost for a barrel of crude is way too high.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
boutmuet said:
I don't want to get into politics because of board rules but crude levels are at its highest since August and expected to increase because of falling demand. I anecdotally expect demand to decrease even more as prices rise eventually in the coming weeks lowering the cost per barrel given the amount of supply. Even with an extremely weak dollar the cost for a barrel of crude is way too high.
Yes, and when it rises to $90 and then $100 and then $125, it will be still be way too high but there will be no reason for it not to go higher.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Yah, I'm seeing diesel prices going up again. A station close by is up to $2.85 now for diesel. Not looking forward to the winter.:mad:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On the futures markets, the November contracts for both RBOB regular gasoline and heating oil have gained about 16-17 cents/gallon in the last week. I do not think all the increases have been reflected in the prices at the pump... so don't expect any relief anytime soon.

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
TornadoRed said:
Penny wise, pound foolish.
Oh here we go again ...... WVO is only for my SPRINTER. Not the VW!!!!!

TDI forum folks get off your frickin high horse and stop telling me to drop WVO. I know how you all feel about it !!!!!!!

grek

TDI
2009 Jetta SportWagen
2.99/Gal. here in No. San Diego County. Up from 2.79/Gal. 10 days ago.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mackconsult said:
Oh here we go again ...... WVO is only for my SPRINTER. Not the VW!!!!!

TDI forum folks get off your frickin high horse and stop telling me to drop WVO. I know how you all feel about it !!!!!!!
New members join every day. Many have no idea what kind of damage WVO can do to a TDI engine.

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
st lawrence river valley upstate ny..3.099 (3.10) gal. ULSD
K-1 dyed kerosene 2.67
#2 heating oil 2.24