Distallate Price Nears Gas Price on Commodity Market

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
The price spread between gasoline and distillates on the commodities market is now only 4 cents! last month the spread was about 35 cents! Hopefully soon diesel will be selling at what gasoline is at the pumps. We can thank the warmer Northeastern US temperatures for this.

See:

http://money.cnn.com/data/commodities/

I can't figure this out, but there are "gas" stations that still sell diesel for $3.00 plus a gallon where I live (Northern Virginia). I've found it for as little as $2.51 a gallon there as well.

--Nate

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've paid as little as $2.35 for B5, and last fill was at $2.59. Meanwhile RUL has climbed to $2.29 or so around here.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Here in central Mass, diesel is hanging tough at $2.69, has for months. Regular gas in that time has gone from $2.79, down to $2.09, and now is back up to $2.39.

cp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Beetle
If and when the speculators find something else to focus on, oil will return to some semblance of sanity. Right now, there is too much money being made by a handful of people to let prices stabilize.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
February heating oil futures closed at $1.8006 on Friday, Jan 6. Unleaded gasoline was $1.8155. Advantage: HHO by 1.49 cents.

June heating oil futures were $1.8149, gasoline $1.9350. Advantage: HHO by 12.01 cents.

HHO is nearly the same as #2 diesel, but not quite. Federal fuel taxes are higher for diesel, many states also tax diesel more than gasoline. So will diesel cost more or less than unleaded regular in a few months? Who knows?

In the long run, both fuels should continue to average about the same price, with diesel maybe holding a very slight advantage.

Smaug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with DSG and Sunroof
Regular Unleaded $2.28 at Sams Club.
Diesel $2.45 at a local Hess station.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Smaug said:
Regular Unleaded $2.28 at Sams Club.
Diesel $2.45 at a local Hess station.
__. I filled up tonight at a truck stop near Emporia VA on I-95. Diesel was $2.29; RUG was 2.33. (Of course, down the road RUG was $2.21 but things are pretty close there.)
'

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dang, the Flying Js in Virginia sell diesel for 60 cents less a gallon than my local Hess does, and 75 cents less than the Crown station. But unfortunately, the closest Flying J station is about 80 miles from me. I'd almost consider getting a trailer tank to get 100 gallons at a time.

Man, we really get screwed on price in Northern Virginia. There is even a 5 cent a gallon commuter tax on fuel and there is a small air quality non-attainment tax. Fuel price drops about 10 cents accross the board in Prince William county, which borders "Northern Virginia (Fairfax County).

--Nate

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
volmaniac said:
(snip) and what is this "regular unleaded gas" i hear so much talk about anyways?? ;)
__. Oh, don't worry about that. It's an old, outdated fuel -- they used to burn it in like Model T Fords, etc. Nothing to worry about.
'

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
For what it's worth, gas and diesel are now between 2 and 4 cents/litre apart now. Diesel is still more, but hopefully not for long. Prior to this, the spread had been as much as 23 cents/litre.

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI Yellow Beetle GLS
Prices in Yuba City/Oroville California range from $2.55 to $2.89 for D2.
Gas up to $2.17 yesterday and $2.27 today. Yuck.

News this evening say gas prices are due to trouble in the middle east. No destroyed refineries but just political hype and don't expect changes at the pump until 2007. I doubt very seriously that it will go down at all. Good push for biodiesel and wvo/svo. Just need to get those prices down.

gottdi :D

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
gottdi said:
News this evening say gas prices are due to trouble in the middle east. No destroyed refineries but just political hype and don't expect changes at the pump until 2007. I doubt very seriously that it will go down at all.
The current level for crude oil probably includes a $15/barrel premium entirely due to the Iran nuclear crisis.

hank miller

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
mrGutWrench said:
__. Oh, don't worry about that. It's an old, outdated fuel -- they used to burn it in like Model T Fords, etc. Nothing to worry about.
'
Actually the Model T was designed to burn renewable Ethanol. They included a toolkit so you could adjust the carb to burn regular unleaded if you wanted.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
The good news is the gap is narrrowing. The bad news is that's it's because gas prices are going up, not because diesel prices are going down. I filled up last night at a fleet fueling place, and unleaded was 2.42 and D2 was 2.56.
Although in the suburb of Westmont, I drove by a Speedway that wanted 2.95.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
hank miller said:
Actually the Model T was designed to burn renewable Ethanol. They included a toolkit so you could adjust the carb to burn regular unleaded if you wanted.
Both Model T's that I had, actually had a mixture adjustment knob on the dash so you could adjust the mixture while driving. Model T's also wish that had fuel as good as today's regular. The 1927 pickup I had, had a vaporizer carb, where the fuel was heated and vaporized before it entered the venturi due to the fuel being such low quality. Then again it only had about 4:1 compression which didn't help.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Thunderstruck said:
The bad news is that's it's because gas prices are going up
Not necessarily bad news. If it helps get SUVs off the road, that's less oil use right there. And, it might help diesels.

FWIW, about a week ago the Wal-Mart on 21st Street in Newark had RUG for $2.339, D2 for $2.319 :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Thunderstruck said:
The good news is the gap is narrrowing. The bad news is that's it's because gas prices are going up, not because diesel prices are going down. I filled up last night at a fleet fueling place, and unleaded was 2.42 and D2 was 2.56.
Although in the suburb of Westmont, I drove by a Speedway that wanted 2.95.
When I look at the traffic density around here and how many one person cars there are out there I feel like a few years of $4 or $5 per gallon gasoline would make a difference. I followed a BMW 750 IL down Route 93 yesterday coming back from NH and pointed it out to my son. He asked if the V12 was fast: I said yes but mostly smooth. And he commented on how much gasoline it must use. It occured to me that my TDI probably gets the best mileage of any car on the road. That's just not right.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
bhtooefr said:
FWIW, about a week ago the Wal-Mart on 21st Street in Newark had RUG for $2.339, D2 for $2.319 :D
__. I bought D2 yesterday for $2.23/9; RUG was $2.27 at the same pump.
'

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mrGutWrench said:
__. I bought D2 yesterday for $2.23/9; RUG was $2.27 at the same pump.
'
I envey you. Diesel is 2.84 a gallon at Hess here in Northern Virginia and its $3.10 a gallon at one Shell station near me!

--Nate

docvb

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI north sea green, bone stock and loving it!
Yep. Those V12 750's are smooOOOooth. The torque

docvb

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI north sea green, bone stock and loving it!
just never stops in those babies. Had one. Still miss it. Got 13-14 mpg. Was a '92 so it ran RUL. Couldn't access, much less see the spark plugs.

The old BMW 5.0 L V12 was basically 2 separate 2.5 L I6's with a common crankshaft. Had 2 separate control units, throttle plates (was drive by wire even way back then!)

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, 13-14mpg. My 951 gets the same mileage out of an I4 2.5L turbo :D
That's kind of sad come to think of it....

Anyhoo, I'm excited. I actually found a fuel station today that had diesel cheaper than gas!
*knock on wood* maybe things will finally be back to how they are supposed to be soon!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not only is the Iran situation going to get worse before it gets better, but there have been production problems in Nigeria.

Don't be surprised if crude oil is back to $70/gallon by the end of January.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TornadoRed said:
Not only is the Iran situation going to get worse before it gets better, but there have been production problems in Nigeria.

Don't be surprised if crude oil is back to $70/gallon by the end of January.
I will second that thought. Oil is about $65.50 on the market right now. Maybe that will drive the price of gas above diesel, especially with the driving season nearing. Here's hoping!:)

--Nate

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
I want to see those gassers suffer ;)
They all laughed at me when diesel was higher. This is the only time I can remember that diesel was higher than gas. It will be really nice if they go back to how they should be.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I noticed when oil hit $70 a barrel and gas was $3+ a gallon, my 25 mile each way rush hour commute became enjoyable and about 30% shorter time-wise. At the same time Metro (Wash DC's public transit) reported ridership increasing by at least 25%! There was a very noticable drop in the traffic volume in Northern VA.

When gas prices fell, traffic increased right along with the price decrease.

--Nate