TDI info wanted

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There is no 1.6 TDI engine. The 4-cylinder TDI engine comes in one size only, and that's 1.9 ! ! (Although there are different power ratings depending on state of tune).

Your question makes us curious. What do you want to do with this engine that would make you need its weight and dimensions? Put it in a different car, perhaps, or maybe something more interesting. Stuff it in a boat? A Zamboni? Something else? Inquiring minds want to know...

Brian
'96 Passat TDI

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
VW has TDI engines in several displacements. Unfortunately, only the 1.9 has made it to these shores. The Lupo has a 1.3 three cylinder TDI available, and the B5 Passat purportedly has a 2.5 V6 TDI option. Additionally, the proposed SUV being developed jointly with Porsche is rumored to have two TDI options; a V8 and a V10!!

[This message has been edited by Jonathan Bartlett (edited October 17, 1999).]

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
After all the talk of Vortex over in general, I figured I hadn't been over to Vortex in about 6 months. While I was there they had a picture of a VW concept car that supposedly has a V10 TDI that produces 533 lb/ft of torque at 2000 RPM..

Now that is an engine....

------------------
1997 Jetta TDI
caddy@udnet.net

Adam

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI (Wagon)
The 1.6 was avaible in a naturaly aspired (52 HP) verstion and a Turbo version which bosted the power to 72 or 75 HP I beleave. I owned a 1.6 and the TDI is an incredible upgrade.

Adam

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
The 1.6 wasn't a direct injection engine though. TDI generally stands for turbo direct injection, though some manufacturers have released indirect injection cars with a TDI designation too, which is a bit misleading. The 1.6 was an indirect injection (idi), as were some of the 1.9 engines which were (and still are) available in Europe, and therefore is not really a TDI. Don't forget that there is also the Audi 5 cyl 2.5 litre TDI engine too.
The B3 / B4 Passats, have been fitted with the 1.6 and 1.9 idi engines, as well as the 1.9 TDI engine in both 90bhp and (rare) 110bhp guise, which suggests some commonality dimensionally etc. The other major difference between the idi and TDI engines is that the TDI is electronically controlled, so needs a load of wiring and an ECU that the idi engines don't have.

------------------
1996 Passat Tdi estate (wagon (variant))
See my Peugeot / Passat site