Non-rubber rear B4 suspension bushings?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I have replaced 2 sets of the rear suspension bushings on my B4, like the ones here, but they only last 40,000 to 50,000 miles, or about a year. I have tried the ones from IDParts and AutohausAZ, but neither seem to last any length of time. Interestingly enough, the last set I put in said "Meyle-Germany" on them, but the outer heat-sealed package said "Made in China".

In the winter I run 14" Blizzak snowtires, but in the summer I run 16" low profile tires. The rear setup is such that the stresses are on the mounts, since it's a swingarm type, and I understand there are a lot of forces applied. I am running KONI Reds set 1/2 way in the rear, and the car rides nice, not too firm. It seems like this is the perfect application for a set of urethane bushings, yet I have been unable to find any for the rear, only for the front. Do any exist?

Barring finding any that re urethane, where should I buy them? The stealership gets $60 each (4 are required for the rear) and they cannot tell me who made them or where they originate, and they have no guarantee. I just ordered a pair from NAPA, so I'll try those next, but I don't have a lot of faith in them lasting since they are only $10 each.

I have gotten adept at replacing them and have made my own installation tools, so the whole process takes about an hour, but it's still a PITA since I have to do it every year.

Any help would be appreciated.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
How old (miles/time) are your rear shocks?

Has the car ever been hit from the rear?

Tony

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The car has never been hit from the rear to my knowledge, all the parts underneath look like they are in their proper places and nothing else looks amiss.

The rear struts are Koni Reds and are set at 1 turn from full soft (about 1/2 way). I installed them on 6/14/09 and they have about 44,000 miles on them now.

4x4toy

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat sedan
Interested in this also. My bushings will need to be replaced soon and would rather have polyurethane. Found a set of polyurethane bushings for the front the day after I installed the TT bushings.

Diesel_Aggie

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V
I have poly up front on the control arms and would love to have them for the anti-roll bar and rear axle as well. Wonder what the minimum run is for Prothane or Engergy Suspension to make them.....