Coolant Leak - Flange to head

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
I have recurring coolant lead coming from between the flange and the engine block.

1'st time I had the leak: the plastic flange was cracked. Coolant leaked all over transmission, car smoked everywhere. Replaced Flange and gasket.

2'nd time - I kept inspecting the joint between flange and motor and it was dry as a bone for 3 weeks, after which I found minor coolant leak in the same place (3 weeks later). I removed flange and replaced gasket. No leak (not even minor) for 2 weeks

3'rd time - Leaky again; I can drive for a few days before the coolant indicator goes on and I re-fill coolant to Max level. (I stopped driving the car for now till I can figure out root cause)

I have not used the AC since having this issue. The car WILL over heat in stop and go traffic, but NOT if I drive on the freeway

Based off of research done on the forum, my best guess is that the radiator fans are not turning on and I am getting a build up of pressure in the coolant system that might be forcing the flange to break away from the motor.
- If I turn on my AC, the fans do not run. One thread I read says that the radiator fans don't need to run unless the AC is on and that the heater core will provide 100% cooling needs, but my car over heats even w/out AC on.
- Water pump seems to be working as coolant returns to the resivoir

thoughts and tips on how to diagnose this would be very helpful.

Thanks