Simple Weeping EGR Question

RndmGuy06

TDI
2002 Jetta
2002 Auto 235k with new TB. I have a weeping EGR. A new EGR is $200+. A Malone tune is $300 depending. Titan 502s (.205) will be here next week.

I want to stop the oil spray. There is also lots of oil in my intake track. The EGR valve is working correctly.

Questions:
-Would a CCV filter limit the oil in the intake and therefore limit the oil spray out the EGR?
-Would a Tune with an EGR Delete Stop the Oil? (I want the tune :))
-Is a new EGR and a tune just better all the way around?
-Should I just tap the weep holes and put in a elbow and a drip can?

Thank you in advance for everyone's input!

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
I want to stop the oil spray.
Once it starts leaking it will always leak, even if you get a tune that disables the EGR function.

If you plan to get a Malone Tune that still uses the EGR (their 'dynamic EGR' tunes sound nice for faster warmup times etc) then you will need to replace the EGR ($189 from idParts) in order to stop the leak.
If you plan to get a tune that does not use the EGR, then it will still leak, but in that case you have the option (depending on your state's emissions inspection requirements) of removing the EGR entirely using the DieselGeek race pipe ~$120. Elimination of the EGR would of course set a check engine light, but that can be addressed by your ECU tuner as long as they know you're doing the EGR delete.

GardRail

Veteran Member
TDI
2k2 Blue Golf
I just replaced my EGR after neglecting it for a year. The sooner you replace it the better. While you're replacing it, it probably wouldn't hurt to check / clean your intake. It's well worth it to see how bad it's clogged.

Once it's cleaned up, and your new EGR is on it you'll noticed a marked improvement. I did; until my egr cooler long pipe & cooler broke ;)

btw: EGRs really get messy the longer you neglect them. You can put it off if you're tight on cash, but it does lead to messes.

RndmGuy06

TDI
2002 Jetta
Once it starts leaking it will always leak, even if you get a tune that disables the EGR function.
Thank you, This is what I expected but didn't want to hear. Also IDparts has free shipping so that is really nice.

GardRail: Was your EGR still working or just leaking? I think I have been neglecting mine since I bought it in 08 ~75k miles ago...

BudW

TDI
2006 - VW Jetta TDI
EGR Cooler Leaking

How do you tell if your EGR Cooler is Leaking. Will there be Oil in the Coolant or Coolant in the Engine Oil, or niether?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I'm going to watch the responses to this.
My EGR diaphram is shot on the '03, so I get code P0401 every start up, but no oil leaking. Intake is/was clean 12K miles ago when installed the rebuilt head from Franko6.
Metalman parts has new OEM EGR for $159 shipped, but I'm thinking a tune w/EGR delete would be nice with the .205 nozzles. Which chip/tune(s) will delete the EGR? Don't "need" any more power, but if its not at the expense of mileage, I'm OK with that. I know enough to keep my foot out of it when I need to.
The EGR on the '01 weeps some oil, but I just have a catch rag under it and change it every oil change. No mess from it really, as of yet.

Last edited:

RndmGuy06

TDI
2002 Jetta
How do you tell if your EGR Cooler is Leaking. Will there be Oil in the Coolant or Coolant in the Engine Oil, or niether?
Here are the pictures from my EGR Valve. The oil is all over the valve cover and engine block.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=320839

The after photos are from a quick drive around the block <30mph. You can see how quickly oil would accumulate. Hope that helps.

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Questions:
-Would a CCV filter limit the oil in the intake and therefore limit the oil spray out the EGR?
Yes, it will. I've also got a leaking EGR weep hole. I made a homemade CCV Filter for about $25. After cleaning the intercooler and installing the CCV filter, no more weeping oil.

I thought about replacing my EGR valve, but it's still functional and now if I get oil weeping out of it, I'll know to check my turbo. :D

simbolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
make sure you check the forum first before buying, I replaced my egr with a used one off the forum for $80, came with anti-shutter valve too, mine was held on with zipties, was in great shape and it has given me 60k non-leaking miles :)

got mine from member: ProPAL

regards

GardRail

Veteran Member
TDI
2k2 Blue Golf
Your EGR is probably a wee bit worse than mine... vomiting like it's possessed!

I'm not 100% sure, but if it's vomiting oil like that all over the top, I'd be curious to see pictures of your intake if you took the EGR off. you might want to consider replacing your EGR at minimum (or delete?) and definetly clean your intake :)

I've had mine soaking in greased lighting 4:1 ratio of solution + water for almost 24 hours. just about has all the grease dissolved.

Here are the pictures from my EGR Valve. The oil is all over the valve cover and engine block.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=320839

The after photos are from a quick drive around the block <30mph. You can see how quickly oil would accumulate. Hope that helps.

RndmGuy06

TDI
2002 Jetta
Your EGR is probably a wee bit worse than mine... vomiting like it's possessed!
...consider replacing your EGR at minimum (or delete?) and definetly clean your intake :)
I would love to tear into it and clean everything but between 2 family reunions, my little bro's wedding and exams and finals in the next month, I'll be hard pressed to find time to install my injectors...whenever they come...

But I have no soot build up last I checked my intake, just oily. And that was less than a 1000 miles ago. So the intake being de-oiled will have to wait a month and at least 4000 miles.

I'll replace the EGR very very soon and hopefully enjoy a clean engine for once! Everyone here has always been so helpful, Thanks again!

GardRail

Veteran Member
TDI
2k2 Blue Golf
sounds like your intake is much better than mine :) I suspect the person that drove the car before me drove it like an old man or something. I know when I removed my EGR and looked in the intake it looked as if it was about ready to have a heart attack, maybe 50% blocked.