So copart GOLF TDI simple fix..at least I hope.

rhinotalon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta tdi
I bought a 2000 golf 2 door. Couldn't get it to run right off. Funny ran for a bit after I changed fuel filter and then cut off. Hummm. Rand down to Harborfreight for a compression tester and Mittyvac and some odds and ends. Came back and vacuumed the line.

Humm...that don't look like diesel, humm...don't smell like diesel...hummm...put some down and lite it. humm...don't burn like diesel. Some idiot put a whole tank of gas in it! So I went down to my neighbor after farting around with siphon hose and got a pump since he is in the furnance business. Pumped it all out and put it in the F 150 ford.

Got 10 gallons of diesel fuel. Use the mittyac to draw up the line. Pulled the gas through the injector pump and lines. Got it back together after another new filter...just to be safe.

You know it cranked right up...and off she ran! Now have to do a compression test. Have a timing belt kit installed and fix the odds and ends...and hopefully she will run like a champ! LOL slightly worried, but it "seems" to be running like it should.

Kinda embarrassed now, thought it was sucking air. Nope...some IDIOT put gas in it! Hopefully I saved her!

NOBISOUT!

CoyoteStarfish

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
Maybe you got lucky on this one, but I would - at the very least - pull the injectors and either have the spray pattern checked or replace the nozzles. There is a chance the gasoline combustion may have burnt the nozzle orifices, and if this did happen you could end up with holes in your pistons from hot spots in no time.

mp3mike05

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDi
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it? (you can PM me if you want)

I tried to buy probably 10 crashed mkiv vw's about a year ago and EVERY single time some dude from Mexico or Cuba or something would win the auction started thinking it was rigged...

Anyways sounds like that would be an awesome steal, I'm jealous.

rhinotalon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta tdi
I have two extra sets of injectors. So I could throw either set in I guess no biggie. Just need those stupid copper washers...where can I buy them anyways?

I paid 1100 then copart gate salvage auto fees and shipping I got just over 2k into it. Its needs some TLC for sure. Thanks guys for the advice!

RHINOUT!

rhinotalon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta tdi
Did compression test with my harbor freight tester. Looks good. Mechanic brining over his snap on that grafs the cylinders and to double check my cheapo tester.

Gonna plop in another set of injectors that I have. Fix her up and drive down the road with my flashy blupurple golf.

CoyoteStarfish

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
This is advice from the realm of older IDI engines. In a pinch, as long as the washers are still flat you can reuse the washer by annealing them by heating them up red hot with a torch and allowing them to air cool.

This isn't recommended if you have a source for a new washer, but I've done it countless times on IDI motors and I can't imagine why it wouldn't work on this one.

rhinotalon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta tdi
i gotta fix it first. Needs a little TLC. Timing belt kit, suspension, brakes, etc.

Now to find a blupurple passenger fender!

rhinotalon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta tdi
Well whoever had this car before wasn't stopping it with the rear brakes...geez. Lucky I had a parts car. Pins were locked up, replaced and caliphers from parts car went on. Got new pads, gonna have new rear shocks...stupid parts place lost my order...sometime today. I put on two new rear bearings. I hope to button up the back end later today.

Still waiting on my UPS order for the front parts like the control arms, ball joints and tie rods.

Gonna throw in my injectors from my 80k plus 2002 jetta tdi. That puller is on its way too. Then I have to wait for my mechanic to get back from vacation...I don't feel comfortable doing the timing belt.

Fender is always on its way. Have to paint and clear coat it. Its Kinda relaxing. Waiting for the parts it what sucks!

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
Just a thought, since you have access to copart wouldn't you be better off finding another rust free MK4 and swapping it all into it?

One with say a 2.0 auto should be pretty cheap through there with a bad trans...

Swap drivetrain over, put the best of the 2 cars into 1, then sell off spare parts, scrap the rest.

For some reason I have in my mind your car is extremely rusty?

rhinotalon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta tdi
You would think it would be easy to find indigo blue pearl in a rattle can! It aint! I just want to spray the new fender I got. Of course no advance auto parts near me has it...and they can't order it...figures. My paint gun is on the fritz and I figured I could always wet sand it to smooth it out.

ug!

ELM

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle 5 speed swap
Buy a cheap spray gun at Harber freight. Or you can go to a auto paint supply store and most of them can put the color of paint you want in a spray can.