VWOA Rejects Glow Plug Reimbursement Claim

wlane

TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
I had the GP's replaced under the warranty extension. The service action notice came with a claim for reimbursement of expenses related to the cold start issues. I had a Frost Heater installed when VWOA had no solutions, no advice other than to wait while they worked on a fix. So I claimed those expenses. Got back a rejection Friday.

It says "The repairs you were charged for are not covered by this service action..."

Anyone else made claims and had them rejected?

I'm not sure what other claims WOULD be covered if not that one. They did the GP recall replacement on this car in the fall of 09. I bought it November 09. Had first cold start issue in December. Took it in right away. They replaced a fuel temp sensor. No help. Took it back. They said they didn't know. I learned on this site about the GP replacement issue. Took it back, they said a VWOA service rep told them, yeah, they were having issues. Nothing they could do until VW came up with a fix. I called VWOA and they said yeah, just hang on while we work on a fix. They didn't offer a single solution until the warranty extension finally came along this winter.

So...I have a car that will hardly start or won't start at all, through most of 2 winters. My options were 1)install the Frost Heater 2) Park the car and rent one 3) go with a non-factory authorized solution 4) build a heated garage.

Now, which of those options was the cheapest and most reasonable? And if that claim isn't acceptable, what is? Worn out starter from cranking the damn thing all the time? Amputated feet from frostbite after the car left you stranded on a ski trip?

Frustrating. I will call Customer CARE Monday and see what kind of blather they feed me.

Last edited:

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Not sure that I understand this correctly. The car had the glowplugs replaced during the original recall (the one that didn't really do anything but swap ceramic for steel). Then you took the car somewhere (where?) and had the glowplugs swapped-out again after receiving the warranty extension letter, in order to address the continuing cold start issues that the first glowplug replacement didn't address. Then you added a coolant heater because these previous attempts were not successful.

Is this correct so far? If so, was your ECU flashed to update the glowplug programming? Not sure how you would be able to benefit from having replaced the glowplugs (from the last replacement to the recently-developed replacement) without the reflash. If you had the work done other than at a dealership, how would they have the right download to program the glowplug operation?

I don't think they would cover cost of anything other than the glowplugs and a reflash.

wlane

TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
No. I had the heater installed in the interim between the original recall GP replacement and when VWOA finally came through with this recent fix (GP replacement plus ECU flash. I added the heater so I could start my car while VWOA came up with this recent fix.

Yes it was all done at a dealer. Original recall at Findlay VW in Las Vegas; warranty extension GP replacement plus ECU flash at University VW in Albuquerque.

wlane

TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Should add that the warranty extension notice stated "If you have previously paid for repairs relating to the cold start issue...we would be pleased to review your request for reimbursement"

I guess they could say that installing a heater isn't a "repair" but it sure fixed the problem, during a time when they weren't offering, authorizing or recommending any other solution.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would imagine they would reject any aftermarket purchase arbitrarily out of hand, at least at first pass. More effort on your part will be needed to get this through.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
perhaps include posts on this forum where folks have installed heaters specifically for this problem...and their postitive results.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
VW will not cover the Frost heater as a remedy any more than they'd be expected to cover relocation expenses to Tahiti as a remedy.
VW's warranty specifically states that they'll cover THEIR defective parts or workmanship. You had the dealer install a VW block heater specifically as a result of the cold start issue? That they might cover.

The warranty also states that they will not cover incidental or consequential expenses.
You missed your flight and had to pay a ticket change fee? Oh, well.
You lost your job because you couldn't get the car started and were chronically late to work? Sorry, 'bout that.
Incidental would be a rental car, heated garage, or Frost heater.
Consequential would be the :rolleyes: frostbite.

You want reimbursement for your non-VW heater purchase? File a civil suit, and good luck to you.

<p.s.: Did the Frost heater solve the cold start problem? If so, then there was no 'problem' for the latest glow plug replacement to remediate. VW might be able to reimburse you for the Frostheater, but then charge you for the newest parts and labor to install the glow plugs that weren't necessary.>

Last edited:

wlane

TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Thanks for the responses. Not sure I agree with that interpretation of "incidental" but I'm sure you're right that it would be VW's interpretation.

As for the Frostheater "fixing" the problem (thereby meaning I didn't NEED the last GP replacement) well of course that's not true, because the Frostheater is only a fix when the car is in a place where I can plug in, i.e. the ski trip example.

But I think Lugnut's take begs the question, what would be a repair related to the cold start problem if not this? Because clearly they're talking about repairs OTHER THAN the GP replacement that was part of the warranty extension. So that just means expenses for a VW dealer taking shots in the dark to fix a problem that VW itself understood but didn't have a solution for?

Because, to reiterate, there was NO VW solution to this problem. ZERO. All they did was say yeah, we know; yeah we're sorry. But just wait a year or so and maybe we'll get back to you.