Slight thumping sound/ vibration on higher speed left turns???

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Hey,

Got a bit of a head scratcher going on, since I switched to winter tires I have a slight thumping sound and a little vibration in the steering wheel on gradual left corners starting around 80kmh/ 55mph. And only if the steering wheel angle is only about let's say 20 degrees. Anything more and the sound disappears.

Jacked up, the wheel feels tight, no play 9 to 3 and 12 to 6. I suspected upper strut bearings on the passenger side, changed that and it's still there.
Wheel bearing would make a more constant sound and no thumping.

Winter tires are Michelin Xice xi3 and have no visible imperfections

Only other thing I could think about is the passenger CV joint/axle???

Does that sound plausible?

Thanks, Bjoern

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Wheel bearings would definitely make noise all the time. If it didn't do it before you had your snow tires on, I'd say it's a defective tire. Try swapping left to right and see if the problem follows.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Rule out the tires first. CVs generally make a click or clunk rather than a thump.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Thanks, I'll swap the passenger tire to the back and see if that changes things. They are directional so can't swap left to right.

No play in the bearing so far and yes I would of thought an axle would make clicking sounds at low speed turns whereas this does not.

Will keep you posted.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Checked today, it's not the tire it's the outer tie rod end where it attaches to the steering knuckle. There is about 2-3mm of play. Tried to take the nut off, got it almost all the way out and then it got stuck and now the damn thing now just rotates in it self, 6mm Allen key stripped because it's rusty and possibly 19 years old.

I hope it's the tie rod that's worn and not actually the steering knuckle.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know it can happen, but it's highly unlikely that the knuckle is worn at the eyelet for the tie rod end. It'll be very obvious if it is worn out though. If you can't get it out, you may need to cut it off. Only ever had to do it once. Good luck.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Thanks, I'll cut it off tomorrow, kind of ran out of tricks to get the nut off. If it's in fact the knuckle I'll fill it in a bit, kind of done spending money on this car.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Don't know if this will help, but you can use a sawzall to cut the tie rod in half. Sounds like you're almost there (finding the issue is 80%), try needle nose vise grips to hold that spinning shaft.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Don't know if this will help, but you can use a sawzall to cut the tie rod in half. Sounds like you're almost there (finding the issue is 80%), try needle nose vise grips to hold that spinning shaft.
I got a new outer tie rod today so I'll just cut the nut off with the angle grinder and hopefully it's problem solved. Fingers crossed the old outer tie rod comes off easily.

I tried the needle nose vice grips but it still spun. Also tried crowbar, impact and some tie down strap trick a video suggested haha. I guess after 335.000km it's to be expected.:D

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
All fixed. Cut the nut off and from there it was a 20min job, outer tie rod unthreaded real easy. Took it for a drive and no more sound or vibration. Steering wheel is still straight, got it to the exact same measurement as it was before. :D

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Very nice, glad it was an easy fix.