06 BRM Slow Crank..... Good Battery

Salmonbum

TDI
'06 Jetta
So my BRM is cranking very slow in morning and its not that cold, only about 27 F. Car has 335,000 miles. The battery is testing good proper amps and a load test shows its solid. The starter is still original which has me pointing to that. But once it does start it's pretty easy to fire back up. I am assuming the weak starter is having issue with cold motor, oil, etc.... Am I on right track? Other than that car is running great. I did recently replace the engine harness but it was doing this before, just not as bad but was not as cold either.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I replaced my BRM starter last year with a brand new Valeo. Pretty pleased with the results, back to starting right away and less smoke at start-up.

Salmonbum

TDI
'06 Jetta
Thanks Pedro. Sounds like I'm on the right path. It was 29 this am. Car was driven alot last nite. Did a start and it was slow. shut it right down and started again. Faster, but still very slow. Both were 3 slow cranks and fired up. I did this to put the battery on strain and then test voltage. Battery tested like brand new, so I'm pretty sure battery is good and there is not a draw on it. Starter is top of my list. Cant believe it lasted 335k miles.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
These starters tend to die a slow death, not a sudden "no crank" like so many others.

Bosch or Valeo is fine, I prefer the Bosch reman (most likely your car has a Bosch starter on it from the factory).

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think so, yes. Just take the air cleaner assembly out, it is right there. You'll want to get to the lower bolt from underneath, and if it is a DSG, you'll want a long zero offset 16mm box wrench. Manuals' lower bolt is right out in the open.