axle replacement B5.5

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
Sorry to be a pain, but WRONG and WRONG. I am trying to clean up this thread so that we get the facts straight.

None of the BHWs have M14s. They are all M16 according to ETKA.
The very early B5 passat's (1999/2000) with gas engine had the M14 bolts. From 2001.5 onwards they were all M16.

So, for BHWs (2004/5), you need 2x 4B0407643A - M16 x 1.5 x 72mm
And you need to torque them to 140 ft lbs (190Nm) + 180 deg (1/2 turn)

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
So why does MoGolf's procedure have torque values for BOTH 14mm and 16mm bolts? Sorry, but I did misstate Ft-lbs instead of Nm in my posts.

Sorry to be a pain, but WRONG and WRONG. I am trying to clean up this thread so that we get the facts straight.

None of the BHWs have M14s. They are all M16 according to ETKA.
The very early B5 passat's (1999/2000) with gas engine had the M14 bolts. From 2001.5 onwards they were all M16.

So, for BHWs (2004/5), you need 2x 4B0407643A - M16 x 1.5 x 72mm
And you need to torque them to 140 ft lbs (190Nm) + 180 deg (1/2 turn)

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Mo Golf may have been confused. Don't you think it is strange to have two different bolt torques to preload a bearing? That is exactly what that bolt is there for. Charlie is correct.

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
So why does MoGolf's procedure have torque values for BOTH 14mm and 16mm bolts? Sorry, but I did misstate Ft-lbs instead of Nm in my posts.
Because the Bentley manual for B5s we all use is from 1999 to 2005 models, and so cover the early models with M14, and all the later models with M16.
The TDIs (BHW) were only made from 2004/5, and so only used M16 bolts.
Yes, you incorrectly quoted 190 ft lbs + 180, which likely result in a failed bolt and some disappointment for anyone who tries that.
The correct torque is 140 ft lbs (190Nm) + 180 deg

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Mine definitely has the M16 and 140 ft-lbs + 1/2 turn is friggin tight! I put new tires on the car saturday and so far for reasons unknown to me, the ASR light hasn't come back on with the Autozone axle. I am rebooting my factory axle just in case. What's the trick to separating the cv joint from the axle. I tried a slide hammer with it hooked onto the used bolt but no workie loosie. Just keep on hammering?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need to remove the clip under the boot, so the outer joint is not being 'pinched' in place, and then smack it with a hammer.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
You need to remove the clip under the boot, so the outer joint is not being 'pinched' in place, and then smack it with a hammer.
I didn't see a clip holding the cv joint under the boot when I got the boot cut off and disposed of. How is it made and where is it? does the whole cv joint come off the axle intact? I didn't see any lock ring in there.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Look closer. You may have to wipe some grease out of the way to see it. I've replaced lots of B5 outer boots over the years, LOL. :p

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thx Oilhammer-your patience with us "amateurs" must run thin. I need to up my intelligence a notch or two if I'm gonna graduate from my B4. If the B5.5 wasn't so darn smooth and quiet I wouldn't have to.

oilhammer

TDI
Haha, no I'm here to help.... even if it does wear my patience thin sometimes :p.

You may have to give that joint a good WHACK. I lock the axle in a big [non-Chinese] bench vise, bolted to a big heavy [non-Chinese] workbench.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Haha, no I'm here to help.... even if it does wear my patience thin sometimes :p.

You may have to give that joint a good WHACK. I lock the axle in a big [non-Chinese] bench vise, bolted to a big heavy [non-Chinese] workbench.
With a big heavy [non-Chinese] hammer??:D

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
Are there any hints or tips for getting the passenger side axle out of the hub? Driver side came out in no time, but I can't get the tip of the passenger side axle to clear the hub no matter where I move the other end or where I position the steering wheel. I hate to start disconnecting stuff that will require an alignment when I'm done.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Did you remove the heat shield on top of the axle flange transmission side? That will allow you to move the axle to the side to give you more room to get it out of hub.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Yep, your heat shield is missing. I remember being able to slide the axle flange to the right to what is shown on your picture. It gave me the room to get it out.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
Yep, your heat shield is missing. I remember being able to slide the axle flange to the right to what is shown on your picture. It gave me the room to get it out.
So to the right of what is shown in the picture is toward the front of the car. I definitely tried that because that area (up and toward the front of the car) seems to give it the most clearance to move, but I will give it another attempt after work tonight.
Although I didn't mention it in my first post, this car is a 5-speed conversion (AFN transmission), and I believe the 5-speed axles are different from the auto axles in some ways. Does that make any difference?

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Yes I angled the flange to the right towards the front of the car.
I am not familiar with the manual trans, but I did read it requires specific manual trans axles. So hopefully you have the correct axle there and not an axle that is longer.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
OK so after a second night of wrestling with this thing, I finally was able to remove it. No amount of moving the flange end up and toward the front of the car would allow the axle to clear the hub. What worked for me was I put a floor jack under the hub. As I raised the hub, the flange end dropped and eventually it was able to slide out under the transmission.

I will caution anyone who does this to be extremely careful. First make sure the car is safely supported on a good jack stand. Then as you raise the hub (slowly), make sure that you don't lift the hub so high that the weight of the car transfers from the jack stand to the floor jack. That would make for a very unstable and unsafe condition.

Anyway somehow while fighting to remove it I managed to ding the female thread on the end of the axle. I need to hunt back through this thread and figure out what size tap I need to buy so I can clean up that thread. Other than that, I am just about finished.

Last edited:

blazen71

Veteran Member
TDI
All Gone
OK so after a second night of wrestling with this thing, I finally was able to remove it. No amount of moving the flange end up and toward the front of the car would allow the axle to clear the hub. What worked for me was I put a floor jack under the hub. As I raised the hub, the flange end dropped and eventually it was able to slide out under the transmission.
I just did this on another Passat. I was even able to do it without unbolting any ball joints!