Replacing door handle(B4) with used, how to remove lock cylinder without key

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
Can the lock cylinder be removed from a handle without a key? I wnat to use the old lock cylinder in a handle I got at the salvage yard(no key)

riofrio

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 2002 Jetta Wagon
Unfortunately you do need a key to remove the lock cylinder. Just take the new handle to a locksmith and they can either pick the lock and remove the cylinder, or "re-key" the existing lock to work with your key (I just did this recently). On the down side, it may cost you somewhere between 20-50 bucks, but when compared to the cost of an OEM handle it may be worth it.
If you are strapped for cash you can always try to pick the lock yourself via the "impression" method. Basically you get a special "blank" key, insert it and wiggle it hard, remove, and notice the impression left by the discs. File down to the impression contour and repeat. From what I hear this takes a lot of patience and good anger management.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
You may not need a key. The lock cylinder can be removed from the door handle so long as it's in the open position and not in the lock position. I have done many this way with no problems. Just remove the c-clip and lock mechanism, then lightly tap on the back of the lock cylinder with a hammer and it'll pop right off. If it's locked the tumblers are in the wrong position to come out and it'll be "stuck".