PD engine cover rubber grommets

snydely

TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI
My local dealer made a few attempts to order me a rubber grommet for in the engine cover for my '04 Golf. These are the two in the front that are captured inside the cover. After a few wrong grommets and a few trips to the dealership I was told that these are not sold seperately and sold only as a part of the cover assembly. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I don't know what happened to the original, it was missing when I got the car.

Thanks for your help,
Steve

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I can't believe its sold with the cover. I bet you could take a piece of rubber and whittle it to a puck shape and drill a hole in it and it would work.

--Nate

jccgmn

TDI
2003 Jetta SW, 2005 Jetta SW, 2006 Beetle, 2006 Beetle, 2015 Golf SW
I believe it. I couldn't get a new plastic cap for my shifter. They replaced the whole thing under warranty.

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
snydely said:
My local dealer made a few attempts to order me a rubber grommet for in the engine cover for my '04 Golf. These are the two in the front that are captured inside the cover. After a few wrong grommets and a few trips to the dealership I was told that these are not sold seperately and sold only as a part of the cover assembly. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I don't know what happened to the original, it was missing when I got the car.

Thanks for your help,
Steve
Last year I was able to get the right ones after a couple of false starts for my 06.5 BRM. It took a bit of patience but the partsman was able to get them for me. Sorry can't provide the part number but it took scanning the valve cover and related brackets to finally locate it and in true VW wisdom the part description makes no sense as to the application. Replaced mine as the cover was starting to rattle due to the grommets having the bottoms torn out. Found that a dab of silcone grease on the sockets makes assembly and removal easier and reduces the possibility of tearing them when pushing the ball studs into the sockets.

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It may just be better to remove that cheesy cheap plastic cover and be done with it!

--Nate

snydely

TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI
Matthew_S said:
Those are caps for the ALH engine cover.

You might try BMW (Mini actually) part number 13 72 7 511 707. They look the same but they might be too small. Unfortunately I don't have a PD here to compare with right now.
Do you have access to that part? I could take a picture of the PD grommet and give you the dimensions and perhaps confirm if it is the same that way.

Steve

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I took a close look at one of my grommets from the engine cover and there IS NOT a part number on it. I was hoping there was going to be an easy answer for you, other than "you must buy a new cover".

--Nate

snydely

TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI
PDJetta said:
I can't believe its sold with the cover. I bet you could take a piece of rubber and whittle it to a puck shape and drill a hole in it and it would work.

--Nate
Well, today I did just that, turned out pretty good actually. I guess I just have to do everything myself :rolleyes:

Thanks for everyones help on this trivial item :eek:

Steve

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI
(Nigel) 2004 jw GLS 5sp / +332K miles, (Hildegarde) 2008 R320 CDI / +132K miles
Grommet/bushing part number : BEW engine cover

07C10322

This number gets results on eBay, UK and Canada sellers.
Also, ECS shows something via Google - not that I would buy from them anymore ?

B3achbum

Veteran Member
TDI
(Nigel) 2004 jw GLS 5sp / +332K miles, (Hildegarde) 2008 R320 CDI / +132K miles
Grommet/bushing part number : BEW engine cover

07C10322
This number gets results on eBay, UK and Canada sellers.
Also, ECS shows something via Google - not that I would buy from them anymore ?

Oh, looking at the ECS listing here's another number:
038103184B

That gets you an eBay listing from eeuropaparts.com. cost $16.50 I guess plus shipping. I

ToddinSD

TDI
1998 tdi New Beetle
tgromet from gasser or ?

i have 2 ALH cars I conveted cover to be push on/off. Gromet I found at the junkyard p;robably off a gaser had vw blm and 06a 103 226 written upon it. Was planning to use on PD engine cover and thought part number might come in handy for someone here in the future.

Hope it helps

Todd