MK4 Jetta 1.9 TDI check engine light came on

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Hello everyone, I have a 2007 Mexican Jetta, its a 2007 however its still the mk4 platform, it has like 60k miles on it currently, yesterday I was driving home and the CEL came on, however nothing about the car changed it still drives perfectly and there are no odd noises or anything, turbo still pulls hard and all is fine, I suspect it might be something related to glow plugs because when the car is cold the glow plug light on the dash comes on for like a split second thats it, however the car starts fine, whats going on? Should I worry?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Since you apparently live where it's pertupually warm, the GP circuit isn't really doing much if anything other than a test of the system and perhaps some afterglow for a brief time. The "wait to start indicator" is not a real time indicator of actual GP activity (or lack there of).
As oilhammer hinted at, the only way to know what the issue may be is to properly scan the ECU and find out what code(s) are active. Maybe GP system, maybe not and no other way to really figure it out. RossTech's VCDS is much better at providing the specific code(s) than a generic reader.

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Scanned it the code is a P0101, however as of today the CEL went off by itself, even before I even scanned the car, am I in the clear? Car is running perfectly fine.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I'd do item #4 in their suggestions. Unplug then plug it back in. You might consider adding a little tune-up grease, aka dielectric grease to the plug to help protect against oxidation in the contacts - the pins and sockets of the plug.
Having the CEL turn off on its own is always a good thing. The ECU will save the DTCs, and you can check them if you can find or purchase a VCDS to use on the car.
Just wondering, does your car come equipped with an EGR?
Cheers,
PH

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Yeah my car has an EGR, I examined all filters today and noticed the air filter was pretty dirty so I replaced allnof them, hopefully that CEL was nothing.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
MAF is new, has like 5k miles on it.
Do you have a aftermarket "cold air intake" or any filter OTHER TAN STOCK, if so, that is why. Check out this, it will help you understand how the MAF works and why scam air filters (anything other than a stock paper) is damaging your engine, MAF, wallet, and your credibility for caring about car parts.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373

Just because you have a new part, does not mean you fixed the issue.

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Do you have a aftermarket "cold air intake" or any filter OTHER TAN STOCK, if so, that is why. Check out this, it will help you understand how the MAF works and why scam air filters (anything other than a stock paper) is damaging your engine, MAF, wallet, and your credibility for caring about car parts.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373
Just because you have a new part, does not mean you fixed the issue.
Nope always have used the stock airbox with regular paper air filters, I guess I will have to wait and see if it comes back on.