Alternator Interchange

LL-Slayer

TDI
2004 Passat
I get it - I am new. I don't know the car. I freely admit my ignorance when it comes to these vehicles. That's WHY I ask questions. It sure would be helpful to get answers to those questions.

I also get it - you know more than I ever will... I had NO idea about the history of the production locations for the Volkswagon B5. I really appreciate the education - that is what I am here for. It would be nice if the education actually related to the information I seek.

I would challenge you to go back and read through your novelettes and see if it was actually helpful to the information I was after. You stated multiple times that there is only 120 amp alternators. That is not factual. There are both 90 amp and 140 amp. I will be happy to post a picture once it delivers next week. Uberhare miraculously answered in the first few posts and understood exactly why I was asking.

Anyways, I am done with this thread.

Sam

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
But if anyone is curious, the 11th digit of the VIN is the final assembly plant. Emden and Mosel both assembled B5 Passats.

Now, for the record, they use P for a plant in Brazil as well, but the first digit of the VIN would rule that out, as that is the country code. W is the 11th digit slot for the Wolfsburg plant.

So for all you kids paying attention, let's take a 2005 Passat TDI VIN and break it down, shall we?

WVWAE63B35P006010

WVW = German built Volkswagen cars

AE6 = US spec cars use these digits for equipment codes (a lot of non-US spec cars will just have 'ZZZ' here)... in the case of the late B5s, I know the middle digit here denotes the engine. D = AWM 1.8t, E = BHW 2.0L TDI, H = ATQ 2.8L V6, and K = BDP 4.0L W8.

3B = the vehicle platform code, sometimes called a Typ code, in this case "Passat 5" Many part number prefixes for this car will start with '3B'.

3 = fill digit, not sure what this signifies, if anything particular to a model

5 = model year designation, note that these will cycle through letters and numbers, starting in 1980 with 'A', then in 2001 we started with numbers '1', which continued through 2009 with '9', and now we are back to letters, and will continue so until 2030.

P = final assembly plant, in this case Mosel as noted above.

006010 = final serial number sequence, numeric, if there are zeros in the first few bits it is an early production run. I have had a few 1998 New Beetles through the shop over the years with "0000xx" in their VINs! :D

So there ya have it. With the VIN, you can, without any question, determine exactly when and where the car was assembled, and what car it is. :)

I think the whole "Wolfsburg Edition" confusion comes from the fact that certain people think it is some sort of badge of honor to have a German assembled Volkswagen instead of the now quite common Mexican assembled ones, and they mistakingly assume ALL Volkswagens built in Germany are built in Wolfsburg. That is not the case, no more than every GM product built in the USA comes from Detroit.

VAG is a HUGE company, with final assembly plants all over the world, and a whopping NINE plants in Germany alone. The Wolfsburg plant, even as big as it has become, couldn't possibly fill the need for all those cars. While it HAS built a wide variety of cars over the years, it generally is only doing final assembly on a handful of models at any given time. Its biggest volume, by far, and one of the planet's top selling models in history, is the Golf. The Golf's success was so staggering and so huge that other models, like the Passat (B1), got booted out to other facilities way back in the 1970s. Fact is, the Emden plant has been assembling Passats essentially from the beginning. Mosel came on line to help meet demand, and is actually a place that has a LONG history of car building, that Volkswagen inherited from Auto Union, and dates back to the days of Horch.

Thanks for deciphering of the VIN - very helpful. I learned that my 1996 Passat was manufactured in the Emden plant, not the one in Wolfsburg.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
So why didn't you go to Advance Auto website in the first place? They seem to KNOW much better as to what fits these cars. Yes you can use any of those amperages. Hopefully they will all bolt up correctly. I KNOW that there were different cast brackets on some of the alternators between the V6 and 4 cylinder cars so they may or may not fit properly. Something else I KNOW is if you go into Advance/AutoZone, etc. and ask for front brake pads for your 4 cyl Passat, they will sometimes give you W8 brake pads. So take the website for gospel if you want, but buyer beware.

So here is what I KNOW and of course OH already stated this as well, I have 3 of these cars sitting in my drive way right now. All 3 have 120 AMP alternators fitted from the factory. You rejected OH's answer as it didn't meet the narrative of you already ordering a 140A alternator, so then you dug further.

Might as well go ahead and tell you now, most of us here KNOW that the alternator takes a clutched pulley. If yours is not working properly or is black, plan on replacing it at the same time. Or you can start a new thread asking why your power steering pump is bad and tell us we are full of it when we tell you it is a bad alternator pulley instead.

We are truly trying to help you as most of us have been there and done that and made similar mistakes. However you seem intent on proving people wrong with each of your post and come across extremely arrogant with each post.

Sincerely,

One of many, village idiots

(that last line was to make you laugh......)

Seriously, have a Merry Christmas!