Scanguage II Question

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
If any of you folks have a Scanguage II in your MKIV Jetta/Golf (BEW), what setting do you use in it? Diesel A, or Diesel B?

What is the difference, if anyone here knows?

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
I used "a" type. Here's (paraphrased) pertinent info from the manual, p. 14:

Set Engine size
set to diesel "a"
run engine to operating temp
put in park or neutral
set scan gauge to show RPM and GPH
note GPH reading
raise RPM to 1500; if GPH increases, you have a diesel "a". If GPH dropped or stayed the same, you have a diesel "b".

Not sure what the real difference is, but I suspect diesel "b" is for OTR trucks (big ones).

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Thanks guys....

jettawreck - I think I have mine on B at the moment...

irvingj - I'll run that test today to see what takes place.

I had a Malone tune done recently and my instantaneous MPG has been going nuts ever since. Numbers on the display are way off. Mostly reporting low. Way low. Oddly, my fillup gallons are almost spot on. Plus, when I calculate the mileage by hand it reflects 44 - 46 in town - which is just about right. I also had the 5th gear swapped to a 0.658 ratio last year. I've put about 4 tanks through it since the tune.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
Following that test, I now have mine set at Diesel A. jettawreck, you may want to give yours a check just to see.

We'll see how this goes from here.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
My memory probably just failed. I have one in both TDIs (the original 2001 "jettawreck" and the "new" 2003 gas to TDI converted project) and the one in the 2001 has been in there for almost a decade. Very accurate. Sorry for the possible misinformation.
Almost ANY changes including EGR settings, timing adaptations, etc really affect the mpg data (up or down), so it's not surprising a tune made the instant mpg readings go way off.

Last edited: