2002 Golf ALH TDI Cam Question

jagster936

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle TDI Manual
If I order a new or used head somewhere without a cam, can I place my cam from my damaged head (timing failure) into the used or new head? Assuming the cam isn't damaged, which I think it's fine. I didn't know if bearings are matched or anything weird.

I'm looking to get a used head and either reuse cam or get one with cam included from working engine. Car has 508k miles trying to keep costs down and do minimal repair work

thx!

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Cam and lifters should be replaced as a set. If you use your cam you should use your lifters in the same positions they were in.

Since there was a timing failure I wouldn't trust your lifters.

Therefore you need a new cam and lifters or use what comes with the replacement head.

I don't know why you think your stuff with 500k would be better than the used stuff that comes with a used head with less than that.

jagster936

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle TDI Manual
I don’t necessarily think that. Just asking because some heads don’t include cam or lifters. Many have everything but the cam also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Don't think what? Crashed lifters are no good?

I won't bother arguing that.

Cam and lifters wear together?

Common wisdom in flat tappet engines. Sure mixing used parts will work but I wouldn't expect another 500k out of them.

jagster936

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle TDI Manual
I don't think 500k items are better than younger items, common sense.
Yea that's what I'm unsure of. I know cam has some wear your correct. So valve opening distance and dynamics can be affected. Just didn't know how much they wear respectively. It's an old car, don't need another 500k. Another 100 would be great. But I'll go ahead and count the cam as not ideal to use in another head. But they sell a lot of heads without cams so that leads me to believe people swap cams around various heads. It may not be that critical.
Say no to gas, I agree :)

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
Help me understand the situation. I was under the impression that a timing belt event caused damage to the lifters and cam and possibly the valves.

Can someone explain the purpose of replacing the head and reusing the cam and lifters? This seems counter intuitive to me.

jagster936

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle TDI Manual
I really don't know, why I'm asking. The lifters and valves are damaged, yes. But I didn't know if cam really is...

Block is probably fine, I'm going to check it tonight or tomorrow with dial indicator.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I wouldn't have any heartburn over a new set of lifters with an old cam but quality new cams aren't too expensive.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Who sells heads without cams? I haven't seen a lot of them.

Cams are not expensive for these cars. If you're going to the expense of replacing the head, I'd replace the cam and lifters, too.

jagster936

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle TDI Manual
A lot of people on eBay. I also would prefer the set which has worn together but was asking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I like post #9. Engine rebuilding is way different than starter or alternator rebuilding, every part must be meticulously measured, checked for true, even checking metal for fatigue. I would definitely stay away from ebay or Amazon for this job. Also evaluate the lower end as well, before you get out the wallet.