Tuning for gen 3. Question for tuners.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
Im planning to get an a7 tdi. Once the fix is completed will it be long before a guy can have his ecu cloned/tuned and swappable to back to factory settings for servicing?

2016 a7 tdi by the way

Last edited:

Burnt

TDI
A7
Have an A7 here. Talked to Malone about this, can be done almost immediately.

Now question is, will swapping back leave a higher flash number and will the dealer care/check when you get it serviced?

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
Im not knowledgable here. But if the original ecu is untouched then how could it be detected? The 335d guys have no problems with this method.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You could have it tuned the same day after the fix is completed. Not sure what you're asking beyond that.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I have an A7 as well, not sure if I will keep it or a Touareg.

What tuners are people using and what are they looking for? More power?
More Economy?
Both?

Anyone using Chipwerkes?

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
You could have it tuned the same day after the fix is completed. Not sure what you're asking beyond that.

If the tune is undetectable then thats all i ask for.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Im not knowledgable here. But if the original ecu is untouched then how could it be detected? The 335d guys have no problems with this method.
BMW diesel ECUs can be cloned, VWs cannot and just have immo defeats. Yes the flash counter will change when doing port flashes. Simple piggy back solutions do not work properly on modern ECUs and cannot take account for safety precautions for the sensors they alter, since the ECU cannot properly measure the parameters and is constantly fighting the box.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
Bummer. Thank you very much for your answer.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Wouldn't an IMMO off, tuned ECU be a plug-n-play solution? Sorry I'm not all that familiar with the EDC17. Guessing you would need to calibrate injectors?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If the ecu is removed and bench flashed, the flash counter won't be changed. The piggyback devices Owain mentioned are tuning boxes, and completely different from, and inferior to an ecu tune.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
If the ecu is removed and bench flashed, the flash counter won't be changed. The piggyback devices Owain mentioned are tuning boxes, and completely different from, and inferior to an ecu tune.
It is not possible to buy a seperate ecu and bench flash that? Then just switch them out when servicing is required?

Oh wait. Owain mentioned that there are safeties installed in some sensors that would be tripped if a tuned ecu is installed. So no matter what. Its full emissions delete and tune and goodbye warranty. Theres no other way to bump power with emissions systems still intact.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is not possible to buy a seperate ecu and bench flash that? Then just switch them out when servicing is required?
Yes, that is possible. It's probably the best option for those who want a tune but are concerned about the warranty. Well, I know it's possible on the mk6's. Maybe Owain will chime in w some input.

Last edited:

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, that is possible. It's probably the best option for those who want a tune but are concerned about the warranty. Well, I know it's possible on the mk6's. Maybe Owain will chime in w some input.
Yeah i just read on some other forum that theres a kind of a black box that stores and flags for performance upgrades. The code is called td1?

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Yes you could buy a separate ECU and bench flash it, but the accumulated mileage on the ECU will be different from the rest of the modules. It'd be best to use one ECU. Only so many chips on the ECU can be modified with bench flashes. We can bench-flash them so that the flash counter doesn't change, which hides any primitive investigation, but if you're going in for a blown turbo/HPFP and the dealership starts snooping around they will be able to tell the ECU has been tuned at some point. I have only had one customer mention warranty issues and that was on an A5 and he told them it was modified. Tons of people with flashzillas have had no problems, although I agree it's a bit of a gamble.

You can bump power just fine on the stock emissions components, in fact it's maybe a 10WHP increase by doing deletes. Stock the EA288s go from around 135HP/230lb-ft to 170HP/300lb-ft to the hubs. I've seen less than a 5HP variance across a half dozen tested vehicles and although conservative this dyno is dead accurate, none of that next week on a dynojet stuff.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
<snip>
Oh wait. Owain mentioned that there are safeties installed in some sensors that would be tripped if a tuned ecu is installed. So no matter what. Its full emissions delete and tune and goodbye warranty. Theres no other way to bump power with emissions systems still intact.
:confused: Huh? No.

Yeah i just read on some other forum that theres a kind of a black box that stores and flags for performance upgrades. The code is called td1?

The "black box" is the ECU. When the dealers diagnostic tool detects non-standard software, the TD1 message is displayed.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
:confused: Huh? No.

The "black box" is the ECU. When the dealers diagnostic tool detects non-standard software, the TD1 message is displayed.
Forgive my ignorence. Im not all that learned.

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Yeah my sensor comment was about tuning boxes not giving ECUs the correct feedback, so the ECU won't go into limp mode, cut fuel etc when it should, because it thinks it's seeing lower values than the parts are actually producing. That's okay if it's a professionally made box with it's own controller, but those are few and far between.

Thankfully most Bosch ECUs don't yet store limiters/ over limiter conditions like what Porsche uses for over-revs.

Yet