Another successful Rawtek and Malone install

lou95gts

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Just got back from Montreal to get my Rawtek exhaust installed. Very happy with the 1st class product and install. I didn't replace the cat back and went for the "cat only" mid pipe. Car sounds the way it should now. Reminds me of the older MK IV TDI's I hear at the diesel pump. Deeper idle sound and sounds much better when you mash the right foot at speed. At cruise the sound is not any louder. Huge power increase!
Also went with the Malone Stage 2 tune but a little tweeced by Mark for more HP.
Thanks Nick and Ricardo!

tomsyco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 White Golf 2 Door
I think I'll take a trip over the border to pick one up soon. Think I'll install it myself though to save some cash. Also why I would pick it up instead of ship.

lou95gts

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Just so you're not in for a sticker shock, if you pick it up in Montreal you will be treated to our 15% sales tax. It's to pay for our free healthcare:)
Shipping may be cheaper.

tomsyco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 White Golf 2 Door
Just so you're not in for a sticker shock, if you pick it up in Montreal you will be treated to our 15% sales tax. It's to pay for our free healthcare:)
Shipping may be cheaper.
Thanks for the heads up!!! That's like $270 for the whole exhaust! :eek:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
The install isn't trivial. I spent about 6 hours yesterday working on my brother's Golf doing the same thing with the PDE downpipe and a Borla exhaust. It's still not done. There's easily another couple of hours of work left on the car for today.

gotdesl?

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi Cup Edition; 2004 VW R32 DBP
The install isn't trivial. I spent about 6 hours yesterday working on my brother's Golf doing the same thing with the PDE downpipe and a Borla exhaust. It's still not done. There's easily another couple of hours of work left on the car for today.
Wow 6 six hours on install!?! I'm assuming a lot of the time is spent on the DP? I remember doing a bunch of exhausts on other cars and taking an hour or two at the most!

DEM

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2010 - dumped it for Golf R
Thanks for the heads up!!! That's like $270 for the whole exhaust! :eek:

There are places in Canada that have lower tax. The lowest are in Alberta and up North- they only charge 5%. If you go shopping in Europe you'll pay north of 20% in many countries.

tomsyco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 White Golf 2 Door
Wow 6 six hours on install!?! I'm assuming a lot of the time is spent on the DP? I remember doing a bunch of exhausts on other cars and taking an hour or two at the most!
I'm sure most of the install time went into removing and replacing the dpf. You need to pull the CV axle.

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
ill be installing dpr./egr delete here at work on a dude car either tonight or tomorrow.
2012 jetta. so should be fun!!

lou95gts

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
The axle is actually no big deal. The removal of the original equipment is 80% of the labor. On a nearly new car (or non-rust belt southern car) it may take a little less as most nuts and bolts are probably not seized yet.
Also, the engine cradle bolts are one time use only. Replace all of them when doing this job and MARK THE CRADLE position before loosening any bolts. There are no locating pins and willy-nilly installation will alter your wheel alignment.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
The axle is actually no big deal. The removal of the original equipment is 80% of the labor. On a nearly new car (or non-rust belt southern car) it may take a little less as most nuts and bolts are probably not seized yet.
Also, the engine cradle bolts are one time use only. Replace all of them when doing this job and MARK THE CRADLE position before loosening any bolts. There are no locating pins and willy-nilly installation will alter your wheel alignment.
I don't take down the cradle. If you ever loosen it, even with new bolts, the subframe will make cracking noises.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I'm looking at this option versus paying $#it-tons of cash for a new OEM DPF.
DPF delete/Malone tune and DSG tune (re-program).

One of my biggest concerns is going to the Great White North to have this work done, spending close to $3,000, and then being so far away from the company who installed/tuned everything. What happens in 6 months, 2 years, etc. when there's a problem? Certainly not driving back to Canada!

With any kind of ECU/ECM tune, what happens when you pull the battery? What can affect the ECU/ECM after a tune? Does VAGCOM still work correctly?

Trying to gather as much info as I can and talk to members who had this done. I'll need to make a decision soon. My car has 127K + miles, oil ash vol. is at 129 ml. DPF clogging up faster day after day.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
No need to drive to Canada... If you somehow can't find anything local, DieselDubs in PA is much closer. And a lot cheaper. The likelihood of you having any problems afterwards is slim to none. With an ECU tune, other than having more power, everything else stays the same. You can unhook the battery as long as you want, VCDS is happy, ect.