Vacation just got longer

scottsire

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
My family and I were on our way back from Seattle after an awesome trip to her home town on Kaua'i, Hawaii. We were just about to make it up the hill past Vantage, which is the halfway mark at about 148 miles from my home. Then, out of nowhere, my Dark Blue 2003 Jetta TDI, the one that matches my Dark Blue 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, lurched down in gear. I paused on the pedal, then gave it another shot. Lurched again, this time to 2nd. I limped off the freeway, and the car died on the uphill, just 100 yards short of the scenic view, which is level.

I tried to start it, but it wouldn't budge. I turned and turned, and then pedal-to-the-floor it started. Surged right to 1900+ and dropped off dead again. Started and ran in Neutral after a bit of a cooldown. I had it towed, then started it on level ground. Started but had a ticking noise that seemed to come every other revolution or so. Drove it but couldn't get it over 35. It idles and spits white smoke.

Next morning, 40 degrees, tried to turn it over. Weird clicking and then a low oil pressure light. It has plenty of oil.

What happened?

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
it might be more pertantent to tell us what type of tranny, how many miles are on the engine, than where you went for vacation, or what color your cars are.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Quit trying to start it. Tell us about the mileage, and when the timing belt was last changed.

Now, go open the hood. Look at the right side (passenger) of the engine. See the plastic cover with metal clips securing it? Pop the three clips you can see, and pull the cover back. What does the timing belt look like? Tight or loose?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Timing belt history as well as transmission fluid history would be welcome, also...

Doesn't sound cheap, though...

Yuri

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
White smoke= blown turbo (usually). From your description, it's a bit tough to call though. Whenever something like this happens, a few rules:

a) Quit trying to start it.
b) Don't take it to the dealer
c) Check out timing belt system
d) Check turbo for oil/play in shaft
e) Check intercooler piping for leaks/disconnected hoses

Try a few of these basic steps and let us know what you find.

scottsire

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
The silver transmission is a colorless automatic.:cool: Just setting the tone, Newsguy. You gotta get in the mood...

I have 118,870 and the belt was done by a dealer around 60,xxx. I popped off the cover just a bit ago and the belt looks fine.

Not sending it to the dealer. No need. I have a shop.

I am perfectly comfortable with doing any work, but I cant do it without advice from guys who live and breathe TDI, not just the 9-5ers.

I took off the tube from the intercooler to the EGR just now and holy smokes do I have oil. Sticky muck even before the EGR. That tells me blown turbo, but what makes the ticking noise that is in perfect unison with the starting revolutions?

AARodriguez Corp.

TDI
that doesn't mean you have a blown turbo, it means you have an alh engine, also remove the other hose on the intercooler going to the turbo, check for tons of oil and shaft play in the turbo, do a compression check, look for 500+lbs per cylinder

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
scottsire said:
I have 118,870 and the belt was done by a dealer around 60,xxx. I popped off the cover just a bit ago and the belt looks fine.

I took off the tube from the intercooler to the EGR just now and holy smokes do I have oil. Sticky muck even before the EGR. That tells me blown turbo, but what makes the ticking noise that is in perfect unison with the starting revolutions?
Not necessarily. Upper intercooler pipe is always oily. Take the lower hose loose from the turbo, and check for excessive play of the turbo shaft.

Curious that the TB was changed 40K early by the dealer.

scottsire

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Took off the whole damn turbo. Taking off the intake manifold right now. I will check for shaft play in a minute, but I can answer a couple of the questions before dinner.

I replaced the fuel filter about 700 miles ago. I dont think that is it. I keep the tank at .5 or more when it's cold.

I will do a compression check before tearing anything else apart.

I love getting in over my head. Time crunch.

Thanks gents, I'll answer whatever else I can get to during my allnighter here. Just stay tuned, your help is invaluable, I really appreciate it. Seriously.

scottsire

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Hey BigAndy,

Is it possible for valve to piston on only one cylinder, and if so, would it most likely be the number one? Sounds like it's coming from the Passenger side.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I was thinking a dropped valve.

When you crank it, does it go: rrr,rrr,rrr,rrr over and over and consistent? or does it go rrr,rrr,RRRRR,rrr,rrr,rrr,RRRRR,rrr,rrr,rrr,RRRRR?

That being, every fourth compression stroke it spins easy?

Also, watch the timing belt when cranking. Does it move with the engine?

Any water in the bottom of the fuel filter?

scottsire

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
it is a constant rrr,rrrr,rrrr,rrr/tick,rrr,rrr,rrr,rrr/tick. No joy on watching the belt spin right now.

fuel filter water is ... well when I opened the valve at the bottom, it just made a vacuum noise and then some bubbles on the inside. Nothing came out.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Stop turning it for for cripes sake!

You need to know what is going on first. Pull the valve cover and look at the lifters. Then, if it hasn't got smashed lifters you nee to TDC the engine.

The ticking could be a blown injection pump. They do that too.

Then report back.

jasonTDI

TDI
Blown injection pump if the timing is spot on.

Does it tick with every quarter or half turn of the injection pump pulley?

scottsire

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I have heard of this "clear line" and have one on my dodge. My TDI does not have one. It's all black running to the pump from the filter, and metal running out to the injectors (duh).

jasonTDI

TDI
Yes. You use a spanner on the cam pulley and hand rotate it around. It's pretty audible. Plus you have to do that to line up TDC on the motor.

Look in the how to section at the top of the forum for DBW's timing belt how to for the ALH. It'll show the wrenches and tools needed and how to line it up.

scottsire

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Okay. I'll take you guys out to the garage while I have my wife listen whilst I hold my breath and turn it by hand. In the meantime, I suppose I will be replacing some stuff. When I get a parts list, could you guys recommend the right supplier?

AARodriguez Corp.

TDI
you dropped a valve, hit the piston, and now you are scratching your bore with every stroke...ask me how I know

AARodriguez Corp.

TDI
my dads engine did the same thing a few weeks ago call me 7542146083 I'm up all night I drive for a living

scottsire

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Popped off the Valve cover. There are metal shavings around the edge of the #2 piston, the third valve in. The cam lobe is just starting to open the valve. Yeah.

scottsire

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Just got off the phone with Newzboys. Sounds like I need a new engine. I don't exactly have the cash to put in a crate motor. Anyone got any ideas?