Land ROver 300TDi

Tad

TDI
Have any of our Euro friends had any experience with a Land Rover 300TDi engine? I had kind of thought about up grading our Disco to a diesel.

TIA

Tad

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
I have a 200TDi, but they're not that much different - the 300TDi is a little more refined, but most of the LR fraternity seem to prefer the reliability of the 200TDi.

New 300TDi conversion kits (engine plus all ancillaries) were available from someone in the UK for £3200 or so a short while back.

Assuming you have a N American Discovery, the 300TDi would probably be the one to go for, as the introduction of the 300TDi version in Europe coincided with the introduction of the Discovery over here in 1994/5. In other words, what we know in Europe as the 300TDi had the bodystyle of the first N American versions. My 200TDi has the earlier dashboard & interior.

- Richard

PS - The $h1tty diesel over here doesn't seem to be a problem with mine - I just add the same dose of Millers Dieselclean Plus as I did in the UK, but here it has a significant Cetane Boost characteristic.

Tad

TDI
Richard,

You have the 200TDi in Canada? I didn't think they could be brought in to North America at all!

I was seriously considering buying a "parts car" 300TDi Disco in England and having it sent over. Now, that we are selling the Disco - new development since I first posted, I really want to explore getting a 2.25 diesel for my '65 IIA.

Again, I thought if I bought a "parts truck"...

Tahnks for the response.

Tad

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
I think that Richard was able to take his Disco with him when he emigrated from the UK.

As I understand it, he cannot sell it or leave it there. It has to come back to the UK if/when he returns.

Another thing that people do here is to fit the 200/300 engine into old Range Rovers.

SwanTDI

Veteran Member
What does the 200/300 engine do as far as performance? HP, torque, etc.?
Just curious. I would be interested in putting one(a TDI) in a Jeep Wrangler if it would be worthwhile and common enough that I could get parts, even if it were a bit more expensive.

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
The power & torque figures are identical for the 200 & 300 2.5 TDi 2.5-litre engines:

111 bhp @ 4000rpm, & 195 lbft of torque @ 1800rpm (the diesel automatics had 121 bhp, I think).

Turbo comes in @ 1800rpm.

Performance...? What's that...?

Seriously, though, that low-rpm torque really has to be experienced to be believed.

- Richard

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
The Grand Cherokee or whatever it's called in Europe now has been offered in Europe for some time now with a 2.5 (maybe now a 3.1l/5 cyl) diesel which is made by VM in Italy. I'm not sure, but they may be using the Mercedes diesel in it now.

It may be sensible to look at that conversion possibility, as the fitting may be easier.

The 300TDi engines are actually still made by LR, and are still used as the standard powerplant for exports of Defenders to certain 3rd-world countries, where the sophistication of the newer TD5 may present service backup problems, due to its wealth of electronic wizardry.

If you could get hold of a 300TDi and physically fit it into the Wrangler without too much trouble, I'm sure it would be ideal.

- Richard

SwanTDI

Veteran Member
So Richard,
Do you think that either the 200 or 300 would be a good mate for a Jeep Wrangler? This is off in the future, but I would like to get as much info as I can about different engines before I pick one. I was originally looking at the 1.9, but heard that the added weight might make it a bear on the highway. I am interested in the 300 at the moment but I also heard that Jeep had a Cherokee sometime in the early 90's I think that had a diesel in it. If that was the case, the parts might be easier to find and the fit may be better.(fit as in how to hook it up to the tranny, etc.)

-E