What did you do to your MKIV today?

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Installed a new set of Bosch glow plugs, had some Autolite ones in there. I guess they held up alright but two of them failed at the same time, couldn't stand that check engine light anymore.

dink

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
replaced egr valve,spitting oil all over engine.will replace
Timing belt in october

Last edited:

shadowhand

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
No just today... in the last month:

- installed a Darkside SMIC
- installed a BRM intake manifold (highly recommended)
- bought an old laptop and got it set up to run VCDS for mobile logging
- replaced the vacuum lines and N75 (overboost problems gone!)
- cleaned off an inch of grim from my skidplate (nasty)

tdi'd

TDI
2012 Golf (RIP), 1985 Golf (RIP), 2001 Golf
(Yesterday) Changed manual trans fluid. Took the slack out of the shifter. Cleaned the grim from the topside of the panzer plate.

(Soon) blend door jawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrowens33

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta sedan slushbox, 2004 Jetta wagon manual( my Noble Steed)
Completed the suspension refresh

Gave the wagon a mild lift with Jetta wagon towing springs, VR6 up front with 10 mm spacer, Koni reds, and refinished control arms with TT bushings. Wow, what a difference in handling. I would recommend between 1/2 to 1 turn on the shock damping on the koni reds. I did one and 1/2 turn on the fronts and I will be taking them off to reduce the damping. 1 turn in the back seems about right.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=127937&title=wagon-upgrades&cat=500
[/IMG] http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=127938&title=wagon-upgradestt-control-arms&cat=500
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=127939&title=wagon-upgrades-front-suspension&cat=500

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Found a nice set of oem candy cane taillights at the junkyard for $50, also have a new antenna base to install, along with finding which wheel is dragging ever so slightly on occasion, probably why I haven't had a 50mpg tank yet(48.6 last tank:p)....

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
So my wife's gasser jetta was inspected, and passed, but the inspector noted a leak in the outer CV boot on the left side.

Today I went after it. After getting it all apart, I find that the boot kit I already have is certainly not a good fit. After 1 1/2 hours on the phone calling everyone I could find, struck out. The only thing anyone had was a Dorman "universal fit" boot, which comes with the boot and clamps. Not even any lube. And while the CV end might have fit, the shaft end was obviously too small. Since the old one died in the first valley after the part that fits on the shaft, I am wondering if the PO had a similar 'universal fit' part stretched on and that is why it failed.

The CV joint itself looks fine, the grease is still fine, just that boot was bad. Glad it was caught before anything bad happened to the innards of the CV joint.

Anyway, her car is sitting on a jack until the new boot (ordered online) comes. I did find one FLAPS that could get the GKN boot, but there was this little warning message right in the center of the parts screen noting that the vendor has nothing to send them as the part is backordered from them. Or words to that effect. So instead of supporting a local business I was pretty much forced to shop online. Sigh...

On to other things. I'm glad my wife has her trusty TDI NB to drive...

Cheers,

PH

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got the new antenna base installed. Since the headliner covering isn't the greatest, really didn't care about headliner board,lol.... radio works a lot better now, it was an oem base off ebay for about $28. I did get an extra nut at the junkyard just in case,but was able to re-use mine. Since I dropped nut when I was reinstalling, I had both my arms above headliner trying to retrieve it, now bottom of both my arms itch, feels like something in skin, but I don't see any redness....

Mp_tx

TDI
06 Beetle
New to the TDI, but installed a new Napa Gold fuel filter and tackled the cabin air filter. Both installed without a hitch. Today I will be polishing the headlights to get this NB ready for commuting duties for my wife.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I lengthened the actuator shaft on the turbo to eliminate the spiking and then shortened it back a tiny bit to improve response. Hybrid turbos are cool, but they take a lot of fidgeting sometimes.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
On my 01 Jetta, I changed air, fuel, and oil filter yesterday. I was Planning changing the injection pump because it’s extremely noisy, but Since changing the fuel filter it quieted things down somewhat. I’ll keep an eye on that .

Bajan

gojo71

TDI
2003 Golf
So far in past year: Replaced turbo(vnt17), intake manifold (pd150), installed boost gauge, changed fuel injectors (pp764), more to come.....
Huge improvement in performance!

2003 VW GOLF TDI - 229,000 miles

03 shaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Picked up my car from the interior shop. New headliner and cloth inserts in the doors (not sure what they're called? The place your elbow rests haha) So excited, looks amazing and I can finally close the sunshade without pieces of headliner falling onto me.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Replaced my steering rack. It had been leaking for some time and yesterday puked all the fluid out. I gotta give a big shout out to TDIjarhead. He gave me some technical support yesterday evening when I got stuck. Came back to it this morning and was able to knock it out thanks in no small part to him.

dieselboy55

TDI
Jetta
Cleaned some serious carbon fouling. Funny this car still had power and got about 45mpg highway before cleaning.

Soaked in diesel and intake cleaned up spotless. Used micro die grinder and a mirror to clean intake runners as they were hard packed with soot. Verified clean with borescope.

Cleaning was done by previous owner through a shop 105K KM ago.

Last edited:

CRJjockey

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 5-speed, 2003 Golf TDI 5-speed
It's a byte change in the CCM, so now the light only comes on when the cruise is actually engaged and goes out when disengaged. Not the steady "cruise" when the turn signal stalk to the "On" position..
I think it changed in MY04 and newer model's, but not sure as on my '03 it's was always on.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
It's a byte change in the CCM, so now the light only comes on when the cruise is actually engaged and goes out when disengaged. Not the steady "cruise" when the turn signal stalk to the "On" position..
I think it changed in MY04 and newer model's, but not sure as on my '03 it's was always on.
Ah, now I understand. No, it is the same in my '05, a continuously lit "Cruise" whenever the ignition is in the "Run" position.

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
Polished my headlights yesterday with a 3M restoration kit and gave the paint a claybar and wax. Waxed her again today, and she looks beautiful! ...and MAN the headlights are better when they aren't foggy.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I had a minor victory on my car's maintenance, after the dome light switch dropped on my hand after a couple of hot days recently.
I managed to reassemble the switch, and got the spring to stay in place, after slightly trimming the underside of the switch retaining tab so that it will hopefully stay in place.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lets see.... first I decided to switch over to some stock 195-65-15 tires on VW alloys(just over 39lbs each) from OZ Superleggerra rims 205-55-16(just over 33 lbs each),as the ride was quite harsh,to see if there would be an improvement. Then I decided to check intercooler for oil. After much debate and moving 1 clamp to try and wiggle hose off intercooler,I said eff it and drilled a hole in bottom of intercooler to drain any accumulation(if any) . I was pleasantly surprised as only a couple ounces drained out after sitting for 1/2hr.I have no idea if PO had ever drained it-original turbo and over 421k miles. I finally did the ventectomy on the fuel tank. I removed rear seats in anticipation of picking up leathers and other stuff I couldn't get when I bought car. Took off the sidemount antenna base the PO had and riveted a stainless circle over it (with caulk),then painted that. I also discovered that the rear pads are quite low, and that the passenger side rear caliper was tight against rotor. I loosened the slide pins ups and those were free, then I pulled up on the arm for parking brake cable to see if it would release some more,but still wasn't able to turn rotor by hand. So now i'll be ordering some rear brakes.... took the car for drive and boy what a difference those different tires make. It no longer rides like a lumber wagon;). The OZ's will be going up for sale on craigslist.....

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Against my better judgement (j/K, I don't have any) I took Owain from Malone's advice and lengthened the actuator arm on the turbo to make it less spikey. I would usually make the arm shorter and therefore make the turbo spool sooner--yet with more spikes--I just wanted to say something nice about Owain, that is all.