www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 9th, 2018, 16:48   #16
rocketboy52
Veteran Member

Dang it! My pics are not posting��
rocketboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 23:12   #17
DeliveryValve
Veteran Member

Sorry you are going through all those issues.

Are you talking about the axle flange?

Here is video on one technique to remove it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ta4EEOyzKw

The flange seems to have the same type of clip the CV joint uses on the axle. It just clips in and to remove it, you hammer it out. A slide hammer should work also. But try the method on the video first.
Old June 10th, 2018, 01:10   #18
rocketboy52
Veteran Member

Delivery Valve, thanks for the link. I ended up working on her for more than 12 hours today, and I finally have some progress, but I'm still super frustrated that despite all the reading I've done of others doing this swap, I never once heard of anyone else with this issue of not getting the sensor in the transmission.

As another good thing, I figured out how to edit my previous posts and reduce the size of the pictures. The previous pics where HUGE and were making it hard to follow this thread because the oversized pictures were making it hard to view. I also figured out why my previous posts pictures weren't posting correctly so that was good. Hosting the pics on my google drive is tricky. A note for future folks, you need to right click on the image you want to share and click "copy Image address". If you use the "create a link" function within google photos, it won't display once inserted into these threads.

Back to the car, I pulled the driver side wheel and axle. I really didn't want to pull the transmission again as its a real booger to bench press it in and get it lined up and hung. So I went back to the slide hammer route, I detached the lower A arm pivot pins where they attached to the sub frame. To get the pins out, I lowered the back of the subframe about an inch in order to gain clearance on the aft lower A-arm hinge bolt.

I then tied the wheel perch out of the way

With the wheel perch out of the way, I was able to get better access to the axle flange and using a 5 lbs slide hammer, the flange came out with 4 moderate slides.

Here is a few more shots of the parts after they came out:

I was hoping that the installation of the reluctor disc would be obvious, but the differential housing that the disc fits over only has one flat in the OD shaft where I assume the disc sits. It seems line the shaft should have two flats, one for each clip... The reluctor disc however has two brass clips that look like they should be latching on something, but it doesn't seem like there is any obvious features for the springs to clip into. It also wasn't obvious which way the disc gets installed. Any input or pictures would be great help!

Should I install it this way?

Or should I put it in this way?

Can anyone confirm if I even have the right part? Earlier in this thread, soeme of the previous comments talked about a disc that had lots of "teeth". Since this transmission didn't have the part installed, I don't have a "good example" of the installation to imitate.

Thanks in advance. One other follow up for others who might someday come across this, I spent 10 hours on this today, about 5 of them was trying to figure out how to fit the slide hammer in the axle hole without crashing into the wheel perch. knowing what I know now, it would have probably been about the same amount of time to pull the transmission again...doh!

Last edited by rocketboy52; June 10th, 2018 at 01:14.
Old June 10th, 2018, 08:27   #19
QuickTD
Veteran Member

The ring is installed as per your second image. Here is a link to a photo

https://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techar...mall/Pic04.jpg

This is a Porsche boxster transaxle, but it is the same unit used by vw/audi.

For future reference, the easy way to remove a drive flange is to thread 2 all-thread 10mm bolts through the drive flange and allow them to bear against a couple pieces of flat steel bar placed against the trans case. The manual shows tire irons but any flat bar about 1/4" x 1" will do. Alternately tighten the bolts until the drive flange is pushed from the case. I've changed lots of them this way.

Wish I would have got here sooner, the slide hammer looks like a lot of work...
QuickTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 09:23   #20
rocketboy52
Veteran Member

Quick TD,

Thanks for the response and the links to the picture. The shaft in the differential that the reluctor wheel slips on, has only one "flat" but the reluctor wheel has two spung brass clips.

There is also a machined groove in the shaft that looks like the reluctor clips would clip into.

Is there any special orientation to install the reluctor disc onto the shaft?

The Youtube video that you sent that describes using a long bolt to drive the axle flange out definitely looks like it would be less work, hopefully someone in the future will benefit from this discussion.

Thanks!
Old June 13th, 2018, 14:05   #21
QuickTD
Veteran Member

To be honest, I've never installed a reluctor ring. I have had transaxles apart and looked at them but didn't take much notice...

The ring can go on in any radial orientation, unless there is some molded detail in the plastic ring that would serve to index it on the flat. I can't see any such detail in the pictures. The ring just has 4 magnets that switch the sensor 4 times per revolution, requires no torque to drive it. I would orient it such that the clips are in the groove. It looks like the flat is deeper than the clip groove, so avoid placing a clip on the flat.

Older models used a gear for the speedo drive and that setup required the gear to deliver a small amount of torque, so the flat may just be some legacy thing.
QuickTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2018, 00:44   #22
rocketboy52
Veteran Member

I got the car back together tonight. I installed the reluctor ring with the spring clips 90 out from the notch and pushed it on until the springs clicked into the grove on the shaft. After getting all the parts back on I took her for a drive. I'm super excited to have her all back and working. I still have four idiot lights to resolve, but I think I have all the answers and just need to get all the cruise control and brake wiring under the dash correct. I think the one thing I wish I had known before I installed the transmission, is I wish I new to double check to see if there was a reluctor wheel installed in the transmission I recieved. Frans hooked me up by sending me the missing part, but it would have been alot less work to have installed it while the tranny was out of the car. For anyone who gets a 5 speed to make the swap in the future, just know, that if there is a "plug" vs a VSS sensor in the speedometer sensor spot, I would guess there is no reluctor wheel installed. That was my experience anyway.