VAG-COM cable worth?

TDI_SC

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I'm out of the TDI/VW, what's that cable worth on the used market?

" VCDS License with Micro-CAN Unlimited VIN (most VW '05.5 to current) "

Thanks,

TDI_SC

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
A used interface is worth what some one will pay for it. But with us now selling new units starting at $199, the older used interfaces are not selling for as much as they use to. Also note that the software license is not transferable from one person to the next:

https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VUDOT

This doesn't prevent a person from using a second hand Ross-Tech interface, but as such, they are not a Ross-Tech customer and would not get any support unless they purchase the software license.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Not to argue with Jeff, but note that the older units are not VIN limited, whereas (unless there has been a change I missed) the $199 unit does have limits. For one person, likely not an issue, but it's there, just the same . . .

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Plus some, at least the KII-USB like I have, have firmware license, so the only thing you (or the new owner) wouldn't get is support. Should still be able to update, afaik.
In my experience I usually get 1/2 to 2/3 of new value for such items.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have one of the older, non-VIN lockout units. When I first got my unit I did call Ross-Tech a few times, but with the wealth of info out on the internet and here at TDI Club, I haven't sent Ross-Tech an email or phoned to ask a question in a long time. I will plead ignorance to the new units as to how the VIN lockout works; it is my understanding that not all of the functions have VIN required inputs, but apparently the "important" ones do.
I bought the more expensive cable as my sole intent was to scan my own vehicle and anybody else that needed theirs done as well even if they did not own an ALH.

Last edited:

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
But with us now selling new units starting at $199, the older used interfaces are not selling for as much as they use to.
In FACT, they are selling for more because they are not VIN limited.

I got $340 for my VCDS HEX-USB+CAN diagnostic tool simply for that reason.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
In FACT, they are selling for more because they are not VIN limited.

I got $340 for my VCDS HEX-USB+CAN diagnostic tool simply for that reason.
I have to agree with this. My VCDS HEX-USB+CAN unit is not VIN limited and if I ever sell it, I should be able to sell it at near what I bought it for.

jef@rosstech

TDI
Well, to be honest, there was a time our Ross-Tech interfaces were selling for more than what we were selling them for:

https://i.imgur.com/gQmhXt0.jpg

So $380 for a used item that sold for $349 new.... :rolleyes:

Also, just a FYI on our current generation of enthusiast interfaces with the VIN limits... you can read and clear DTCs and look at live data on as many VW/Audi vehicles as you want with them, no VIN lock required for that. It is just the advance functions that require a VIN to be locked in. So if you want to clear codes on a friend's car, no problem. My "Benevolent Dictator" boss has a details about this here:

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?8869-VIN-Limited-Interface-FAQ

Regards.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I agree with the 2 guys above Jef. My cable used is worth way more than one of the brand new "locked VIN" cables. My unlocked VCDS cable is now equal to the Pro version and almost $600.00 when purchased new.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
In defense of Ross Tech, this equipment is the best deal, no matter which cable you have and what you paid for it. I have saved tons of money with mine over 5 or 6 diesels I have owned. And I have bought at least two new cables from Ross Tech.

BeartheBruce

Vendor
I'd like to add one more piece for consideration:

HEX+CAN devices only work through the 2016 model year. I know - not many diesels in 2016/2017.... Dieselgate...

Also, some new features in VCDS (starting with 17.8) will require the new interfaces. We can't make 15 year old designs work with new ideas forever. Wish we could but windmills do not turn in that fashion.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I believe this thread was really just a FOR SALE sign.
He's likely sold it already.

TDI_SC

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I believe this thread was really just a FOR SALE sign.
He's likely sold it already.
Not really. Still trying to figure out how much it's worth. I'll advertise it in the proper forums once I get that figured out.

TDI_SC

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Not really. Still trying to figure out how much it's worth. I'll advertise it in the proper forums once I get that figured out.
TDI_SC
Don't they still sell them? There's your base, get whatever you can for it.

jef@rosstech

TDI
Sure but without knowing what it's worth... hard to come up with a price!

TDI_SC
As I stated:
A used interface is worth what some one will pay for it.
When your Micro-CAN sold new, it was $250, but we now have new units starting at $199. The VIN limit has been a non issue, 99% of our non professional customers are only dealing with 1 or 2 cars. Plus, reading and clearing fault codes, or viewing live data, does not require a VIN to be locked down, so one can clear codes out of +3 car without issue.

Why not post it in the for sell section and give it 1 week for people to make offers. I've seen cases of people buying used Ross-Tech interfaces for more than what a new unit would of cost them, so maybe you'll get lucky. :p

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Why not post it in the for sell section and give it 1 week for people to make offers. I've seen cases of people buying used Ross-Tech interfaces for more than what a new unit would of cost them, so maybe you'll get lucky. :p
One caveat I would add to this. The for sale classified ads here require stating a price. This is not an auction site. However, the best way to do this would be to state a relatively high a price (maybe $175) and then say OBO (or best offer) and see what happens.

Have Fun!

Don

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Can't tell if he wants us to give a number or just trolling for offers.
I don't see it for sale in the for sale forum.
I say $260.

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
:(
Quick question,
How do I know if the Micro-CAN I have is VIN locked or not, I believe I bought it in 2010 or so for $250.

Thanks

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Quick question,
How do I know if the Micro-CAN I have is VIN locked or not, I believe I bought it in 2010 or so for $250.

Thanks
There are no VIN limitations on the older cable interfaces. This includes the MicroCAN interface. There is no VIN lock to worry about.

Have Fun!

Don

P/S/ The advantage to the "classic" cable interfaces is no VIN limits.
The disadvantages to the classic cable interfaces are that they do not support all of the new control modules in some of the higher end Audi/VW cars and they are considerably faster in accessing newer UDS controllers.

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
There are no VIN limitations on the older cable interfaces. This includes the MicroCAN interface. There is no VIN lock to worry about.

Have Fun!

Don

P/S/ The advantage to the "classic" cable interfaces is no VIN limits.
The disadvantages to the classic cable interfaces are that they do not support all of the new control modules in some of the higher end Audi/VW cars and they are considerably faster in accessing newer UDS controllers.
Thanks Don

As helpful as always, I'm gonna miss this crowd, I'm planning on setting buyback appointment soon.

jef@rosstech

TDI
You should totally get a new GTi with an APR tune on it... if you hate tires, you'll love it...
my wife said:
SCREW MPG... GET OUT OF MY WAY!! ARRRRRRRRRG
:D

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
You should totally get a new GTi with an APR tune on it... if you hate tires, you'll love it...

:D
Tempting :D but I had so many little issues with this Jetta that I might stay away from VW for a while.
Mostly parts falling apart.
Inside door panels peeling off, Roof liner, roof buttons blistering, several rubber parts disintegrating. One door lock motor is dead...
But after the Tune, I loved how it drove and the torque! :D:D:D will miss that.
I love the awesome mileage when hypermiling and the TORQue when stepping on the pedal. I'm definitely a low RPM and high torque person.