Golf mk3 PD130 GTD2060vz trouble

sam-

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mk3 tdi AFN
Hello,

Maybe anyone here already face this problem or might know what could have cause it.

I bought a golf mk3 with pd130 / 6 speed conversion (ss exhaust, stronger clutch on dmf, fmic, gtd2060vz, 4bar map,...)
The past week end it was the first time we really push the car to know how fast it is.

After a short time, we had a boost pressure drop wich come back in a second but a bit after another boost pressure drop and no more power.

We shut down engine, there was a lot of liquid cooler in the engine bay but also oil under carlike he was spitted out of head.
Then engine had difficulty to start and knock.

We drain oil and no metal filings in it but there was like water in oil.
T
he car was mapped by Fusti in Hungary, given for approximately 230hp by the previous owner,
she was runing 2bar of boost and pulled like a train (smoked too lol)

Is this possible that it only due to that it was still having pd130 headbolts ?
Which other things could have caused it ?

Thanks you in advance for trying to help me.

sam-

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mk3 tdi AFN
Thanks i'm going to do it as soon as possible, just that i was scared that other stuff than weak bolts could have cause it, like the mapping, as its only 2bar and given for 230hp but i dont have any proof of it so it could be way more as the car was a bit slower than 370hp evo8 on 60-2xx, way faster than a stock Focus rs 305, m135i...

sam-

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mk3 tdi AFN
Yes still on stock injectors (ASZ), i dont have a tool to read ecu at the moment, strangely this guys already made tons of powerfull tdi in Hungary and is well known

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Stock injectors and much smoke and 2 bar boost looks like youre around 250hp and 550nm
Bad tune to long injection duration high egt . On pd you dont want to much more than 33* duration

cruiserboy

TDI
´97 Golf MK3 TDI AFN
BS, on stock ASZ injectors, you can run 40° duration with 28° SOI at 4000rpm all day long without any smoke with 2bar boost from such turbo.
But even with this duration, it will be quite hard to get 250hp on stock injectors

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
28 deg SOI is a bit too advanced IMO and with that duration, EOI is 12 deg PTDC...last 4 degrees probably creating heat and nothing else.

Wouldn't really run anything more than 26 deg BTDC and 8 deg PTDC on a daily 8v PD unless you have mechanical sympathy...

250hp on 550cc injectors? No chance...

cruiserboy

TDI
´97 Golf MK3 TDI AFN
ASZ blocks can withstand that, no issue but you're right creating heat if you don't have enough air to burn everything but 2bar with GTD2060VZ and stock ASZ injectors is no problem.
I would advise to run EGT limitation within ECU as it can be done rather easily with EDC15P+ and you're safe

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
Two problems:

SOI more advanced than 26/27 deg with stock CR (less of an issue with smaller nozzles) leads to high PCP. I suspect this had something to do with Sam's HG...

Injecting past ~6 degs PTDC = diminishing returns. Doesn't matter what turbo you have; you're out of the efficient injection window. You may clear up some smoke with a good turbo, but those extra degrees will just increase EGT as opposed to HP...

TLDR - if you've not got enough fuel with 33 deg of injection, time for bigger injectors / nozzles if you want to maintain reliability / efficiency

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
250hp on 550cc injectors? No chance...
Higher numbers have been done on 550cc injectors and dyno proven although a big turbo is needed for high VE due to lower EMP.

I push 30.5psi all the way to 5000rpm with 550cc injectors but my turbo is too small to get to 250+hp

sam-

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mk3 tdi AFN
Hello,

So today we took the head off and here is the result.
Anybody have idea of what could have caused it ?
Could it be due to a high mileage engine or bad oil or ... ???

Thanks for any help, i appreciate it, Samuel

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
wow damm sam If im looking good I see atleast 1 ore more burnt pistons.
looks like way to high egt ore a nozzle go bad and acting like a blow torchs to pistons.

Now Im see also broken ring ore piece of cylinder wall ?

youre better of buying a stock pd 130 than rebuild this ****

sam-

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mk3 tdi AFN
Unfortunately yes cylinder are damaged as well :/
Bad nozzle could also be the fault of a software asking the limit of them ? Or just only old / faulty one ?
I'm gonna post some more picture a bit more clear and by cylinder in different view.

Cylinder 1

Cylinder 2

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
WoW melted pistons bad spray from nozzels looks like you bought a lemon it was ready to brake to much heat maybe THE head also crack And dumping oil to THE fire

Buth looking at THE melted pistons THE Marks say bad nozzels and wat to much heat to long duration

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
So, you know how apparently you can 250hp out of stock 550cc injectors? This* is why you shouldn't...

*probably

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
To long duration and bad spray of nozzle melts THE lip of bowl
You see THE nozzle inject out of THE bowl

sam-

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mk3 tdi AFN
So i'm looking for another engine as i bought a spare ARL a while ago but i opened it and 3rd cylinder was almost identical and the 2nd was starting.
Should i only look for a pd130 / pd 150 tranversal engine or even a longitudinal can fit without modification ?
I was thinking of a pd140 2.0 8v, is this possible to fit it under 1.9 head or will i have to buy a complete engine ?

Regarding my injector, is this possible to repair them or they definitively dead ?

One more time thanks for your helps ;)

Wanted to buy a finished project to avoid loosing time and hassle, finally we should have build the golf we already have :(

I ordered a tool to read ecu, once i have it if anybody want to look at it i will send it.

duke21

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 TDI BMN
I used map with 56° of duration@4500rpm on PD170. Due to coolant loss i removed head and pistons were in good condition. I used this map for around 20Kkms. Turbo is gtb2260. I know exhaust cam on this engine is different from PD140 and exhaust valves stay more closed, but is that reason this engine can work with such high durations?

I've seen few different maps for this engine with GTB turbos, all with 50+ duration...

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
not buy any ones project, you see they are junk
better to buy a stock pd asz arl and go from this to rebuild and make a fresh engine.

struikie

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d E91
longitudinal blocks are not interchangeable with transverse ones...
I would try to find a fresh set of pistons in stead of a whole new engine...

JW

cruiserboy

TDI
´97 Golf MK3 TDI AFN
What caused this is not linked to too long duration. It's more likely combination of long duration with very bad SOI settings.

What were saying the EGT ?

Ano

TDI
MK1 TDI ARL
Its start of injection and i call this damage a really bad tune.
i would go 2.0 Pistons and a new tune.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
injection starts to early and sprays out of the bowl, results very high cylinder pressure and heat.

sam-

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mk3 tdi AFN
Hello,

Thanks everybody for your feedbacks.

mk1-83 : By bad spray nozzle, what do you mean please ? Does it mean damaged injectors or just it sprayed out of the bowl because of too early soi ?

struikie : i might be tempted to do this, i have 2 good pistons on my asz block, and 3 inside the arl, if arl and asz pistons are identical, could i mix them to have a 4 good pistons ? I know the goes like that piston for cylinder 1-2 and 3-4.

cruiserboy : unfortunately i didnt had a egt gauge, i only drove a bit since i bought it, was going to fit egt and emp gauge but tought i could drive like that a bit as the remap was supposedly done by wellknow mapper there :/

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Sam iTS a combo of poi + to long duration + worn out nozzel = to much heat for to long

sam-

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mk3 tdi AFN
Hi all, sorry for the lack of information all this time but car was lying in garage without engine, now an engine is back in and i read ECU.
I read a lot but never done a diesel remap because i was scared i could do something wrong, look like no the case of everybody.
Take a look and confirm me that is a get fast and broke as soon as possible tune ?
Hope all the experienced guys here will take time to take a look and comment. I wont post .bin here to avoid any people that would try it but if someone want it just ask.

Last edited: