11 mm pump question and turbo swap to VNT 17

speedy223

Veteran Member
TDI
alh tdi new beetle 98, alh jetta 01, bew golf 04 all 5spds
I am replacing a motor, I have one off a 200 k auto beetle that was running fine that I am putting in since my other engine plans fell through for now.

question is: do I need to retune it for the 11 mm pump or will it be a negligible difference?

car currently has South bend stage 2, 10 mm pump, Bosio 1019 injectors and it HAD the BW BV39 S7 turbo installed. kerma tune done for all the above stuff including 3 bar map.

Turbo died at 80 k with shaft play and lots of other issues noted so engine pulled, I am going to replace the upgraded S7 that failed with a VNT 17 instead.

question 2 is : do I need to have it retuned for the VNT 17? It is currently tuned for the S7 BV 39, with 1019's and 10 mm pump?

I would like to know the ramifications of doing it or not doing it. Want to make sure I am not going to kill the engine/turbo with increased EGT's or something like that.

if it is not going to destroy anything I was going to wait but wasn't sure if the new turbo choice would force a new tune or whether they where similar enough to be ok?
also with the 10 mm pump to 11 mm pump will that cause too much overfueling or is it again negligible?

I can keep the 10 mm pump for now but was planning on using the 11 mm since I have one and it is already on the donor engine....

any advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

car is a 1999 New Beetle TDI 5 spd ALH.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Just curious why you say the turbo failed. Reason I ask is, I thought my 17/22 failed, it sounded like the bearing was going. So I pulled it off to check it out and possibly send it off to get rebuilt. After discussing with a few turbo rebuild shops I come to find out basically up/down play is expected as long as it's not touching the housing, it can have up to .020 of play as long as you don't have in/out play. After inspecting my turbo, I only had .014 and no end play, which lead me to believe my turbo was fine.

I did more trouble seeking and ended up finding out the noise I was hearing was blow by on the number 1 cylinder, which made like a reed and hence the sounds of a bad bearing. I changed the exhaust gasket and reinstalled the turbo and all is great now.

So not sure what you're experiencing but just wanted to put that out there for others.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Technically speaking the VNT-17 is a higher HP rated turbo than the S7 is. If your VNT-17 dies it can easily be rebuilt; I don't believe the S7 has that option available. As far as matching the tune one turbo for another, you may have to adjust the actuator arm slightly on the VNT-17, but I haven't really heard of that being a requirement when swapping one for the other. When my VNT-15 died, I had it upgraded to a 17/56 for less than $500.

speedy223

Veteran Member
TDI
alh tdi new beetle 98, alh jetta 01, bew golf 04 all 5spds
turbo failed due to an overspeed. believe me when i say it had shaft play. visible huge amounts up down and sideways. it was screeching at 10 psi boost and going to limp when it failed. surprised it made it back to shop, i didnt worry too much because it went to limp mode but when i saw how bad i realized i was lucky.

yes i bought it from kerma.

i believe it failed due to uncorrected moderate boost leak above 17 psi that caused it to overspeed for too long, it is my wifes car i didnt realize it was happening till i drove it and she drives so slow she never noticed. never lost oil, always use correct oil and change about 5k. * i know too soon*

what about the pump? do i need to tune it for the 11 mm pump? i dont want to damage anything by not doing it but will probably hold off it isnt a big deal.

also what about the nozzles 1019's? are they ok with the 11 mm pump?

any info is appreciated. thanks

nikolay_ss

TDI
1.9TDI ALH
I'm driving with gt1749va at 1.5bar and 1019's, I have also 11mm pump.
Pump is almost at max voltage and thanks to the great spray pattern of 1019's and the better atomization of 11mm+0.216um there is no visible smoke behind the car, but great acceleration. I spin my new conti TS860 195/65/15 at 3rd gear on 2000rpm when I WOT. Also really low fuel consumption. Probably it will sound fake, but it's under 4L/100km for sure when cruising at 90/100km/h!